Haley v TDI v Costa

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Haley v TDI v Costa

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Cool beans. Thank you.

No worries on the April course - I'm sure we'll meet-up one time or another. :) I know how hard it can be to plan for "hobby getaways!" :lol:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
EChryst

Post by EChryst »

TDI's courses will be there next year... will Haley/Costa be local again?

That may be the biggest difference.

Also, FYI SouthNarc will be in Cleveland for his ECQC in June as well.

Pick your poison.
-Erik
Flexmoney

Post by Flexmoney »

Ohio's first Grand Master (USPSA) shooter is now doing classes. http://www.andersonshooting.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kyle F.
USPSA Board of Directors - Area 5
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

EChryst wrote:TDI's courses will be there next year... will Haley/Costa be local again?
Haley was not local to Ohio last year - I don't think anything is on his calendar for this year, either, for Ohio.

Costa is coming back to NE-Ohio, again hosted by Raven Concealment, for 4(four) classes this year. I addition to another rep. of HE01/02, he will also teach Carbine 01/02 here as well.
Also, FYI SouthNarc will be in Cleveland for his ECQC in June as well.
I somehow missed DaveT's thread - and he pointed me to it the other day in a PM. :) I told him I was going to say :P to you for not having knocked on my PM box about that one. :lol: So :P .

And I honestly don't know what my problem is! I apparently mentioned above that SouthNarc was going to be at PDI, but totally forgot to mention that he's coming here this summer, too! :oops:

The question I would have, though, would be whether if ECQC is suitable for a "beginner" level shooter?
EChryst

Post by EChryst »

Big A,

I can put you in contact with the guy who's hosting SN. He's a good buddy of mine who is trying to get me bail on work to attend the class.

Brad, the host, has a Dojo/Karate House/whatever in Auburn Township / Chagrin Falls area, right up South Woodland/Chagrin for you.
-Erik
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Thank you, sir. :)

Unfortunately, as I've told DaveT, I'm currently on the "Disabled List" from an ankle injury: I could make up something cool about how it happened (fighting off 6 ninjas), but alas, I simply never made it back from getting my wife a refill on her glass of milk - I somehow missed six steps. :oops: :lol: I'm really not sure that I'll be cleared by the MD (not the orthopod, rather, my wife! :x ) by then to do something like that...and July is in-flux with respect to that particular weekend in terms of family vacation plans.

Right now, it's honestly the travel schedule that's worrying me. I was able to put down a deposit on Bill's pistol class because I know I'm not committed that weekend (21st)...but so far, that's about all that I've been able to lock-down for July.

As I said to DaveT, you guys will definitely be the first to know if I can get there! :D
EChryst

Post by EChryst »

TSiWRX wrote: I'm currently on the "Disabled List" from an ankle injury

Physical class with only one good wheel is probably not the best idea. Good call - over extension is never good. Especially in the balance of training vs. family duties.

I'm not allowed to go out until the dishes are done, the trash is taken out, the house is vacuumed, the groceries are put away and the laundry is done. And by that point, I'm too tired to do anything. :lol:
-Erik
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ :lol:

I thought it would be interesting to go do some stuff with Ron Lauinger, who I'd been meaning to seriously start-up with again this winter...but yeah, the stairs really defeated me, and I really think The Boss would kill me and take the life-insurance policy if I were to be any more crippled than I am, now. :lol: As-is, she claims to already be doing "750%" of the work in our marriage. :lol:
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Well, to make your decision easier, HE01 @ Southington is already sold-out.

I do *NOT* recommend anyone who is not already proficient with strong-side-only single-hand manipulations to attempt HE02.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

M4C.net post by Shawn says that there's one person who backed-out of the February 22-24th 3-day combo Shivworks/SouthNarc class in PA. Steel City Airsoft is hosting, IIRC.
XDSC9G30

Post by XDSC9G30 »

Went to ADCO today and he had the Magpul DVDs so I picked them up.

So I think I will start watching them tonight or tomorrow to get an idea of what they are about.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

There's a Magpul Handgun 1 class in Alliance, Ohio, coming up on March 8-10.
Tmade

Post by Tmade »

FWIW, my 2 cents is for TDI. I've not trained with the others, but prior to going to TDI for my first class, HG 1-3, I was already an NRA instructor, had taken an advanced concealed carry class from a student/instructor from another national school, and had taken some personal instruction as well. Going into their 1-3 class I was thinking that since it was a pre-requisite to take higher level classes that I might not learn much. I can't tell you how wrong I was.

Their team taught and challenged me to a level I hadn't thought I could get to or even considered. When hitting that small steel plate consistently from 75+ feet with my pistol it sunk in that the skills and techniques worked. I am not going to knock other schools as I have not had any experience with them, but with TDI I have continued to take additional classes yearly and each time my skills have been enhanced more and more each time.

One thing I will advise if you decide on TDI, or any other school, train with your concealed carry gear if that is the way you carry! My opinion, again just my opinion for me and my training, is that I want to train the way I carry and by the third day I was using my concealed carry setup and part of the training is a real life type of scenario, done in a safe manner, and when the threat was presented to me before I knew what happened I had moved, drawn from concealment and engaged the threat. I remember standing there realizing that I hadn't even thought about what to do...I just did it and was amazed at the precision and speed of which I executed. That sealed it for me.

Too many times I've taken classes and see people show up with the latest and greatest tactical open carry holsters and gear that when asked most admitted they didn't carry that way. Not going to judge, but if I am paying for professional training I want the most out of it I can get. I remember getting a bunch of strange looks at TDI when I had shorts and a untucked tshirt on, but that's the way I normally carry during that time of year and wanted to get the most out of the training and that I did. I even got some tips from a few instructors on ways to modify my carry gear which helped my carry techniques even more.

I'd also put my 2 cents in, although no personal experience, but I know others who have taken classes from Handgun Combatives, Dave Spauldings group and have had nothing but high regards for his classes also. I plan on going to at least one of his classes this year.
Mama always said, "Stupid is as stupid does"...and with the current administration...there's a lot of doing going on...LOL
NRA Instructor
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Tmade wrote: One thing I will advise if you decide on TDI, or any other school, train with your concealed carry gear if that is the way you carry! My opinion, again just my opinion for me and my training, is that I want to train the way I carry and by the third day I was using my concealed carry setup and part of the training is a real life type of scenario, done in a safe manner, and when the threat was presented to me before I knew what happened I had moved, drawn from concealment and engaged the threat. I remember standing there realizing that I hadn't even thought about what to do...I just did it and was amazed at the precision and speed of which I executed. That sealed it for me.

Too many times I've taken classes and see people show up with the latest and greatest tactical open carry holsters and gear that when asked most admitted they didn't carry that way. Not going to judge, but if I am paying for professional training I want the most out of it I can get. I remember getting a bunch of strange looks at TDI when I had shorts and a untucked tshirt on, but that's the way I normally carry during that time of year and wanted to get the most out of the training and that I did. I even got some tips from a few instructors on ways to modify my carry gear which helped my carry techniques even more.
While I most wholeheartedly agree with this - that an "average Joe law-abiding citizen legal concealed-carrier" should practice with his carry gear, in his usual manner of dress - I also want to suggest that there is no shame in showing up to a class in a simple OWB setup, without cover garment: particularly when the shooter lacks sufficient experience outright and/or are simply unsure of whether they can safely execute the necessary skills while also worrying about their clothes.

It's definitely an ideal to train towards: proficiency with what you carry, in how you carry.

But safety should always come first! :)

Having a newer shooter execute a mock-disable support/reaction-hand-only draw, plus chest-roll, plus dropping to the prone, plus having to work stoppage reductions with just that hand...that's probably not a great idea for anyone involved. :P :lol:

But for a competent and safe shooter who is willing to suffer a bit of embarrassment to press his or her failure limit in a safe manner? Two thumbs up! :)
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

TDI will give you the option of running with or without cover garment but are going to press you to work at getting proficient at covered. After all that is what you are paying them for. They will also help you vett your gear. Lots of experience there and not to listen is just throwing away part of what you have paid them for. After three years of multiple classes I still am making small adjustments to my gear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA