First aid at the range

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

farblue

Re: Fist aid at the range

Post by farblue »

Michael wrote:I'm curious why this thread is about aiding a wounded fist. I mean, just about any body part can be wounded when something amiss happens at the range. Furthermore, your hands aren't normally in a fist when you shoot. So color me confused.
Lol. I just noticed my own typo. Ugh. :oops:
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.
Robert A. Heinlein
heathen

Post by heathen »

These three DVDs can be ordered through the library as well as other first aid videos.

Gunshot wound first aid (40 min.)

Learn to access and evaluate gunshot wounds; how to minimize bleeding and trauma; how to prepare the wound for transportation; how to handle shock and victim duress; life saving first aid techniques. Must viewing for all police officers, federal agents, concealed carry license holders and everybody who carries or is around firearms for a

Blunt force trauma first aid (80 min.)

Blunt trauma injuries could happen in a variety of ways, a fall from a ladder, a violent car accident, even a whack from a baseball bat. The hospital is 30-45 minutes away and it will take an ambulance 45-60 minutes to respond. What should you do to help yourself or another person have a better chance of survival? This program shows how to access and evaluate blunt trauma wounds; the most important First Aid you should give; how to prepare the wound for transportation; how to minimize bleeding; how to handle shock and patient duress.

Knife wound first aid (55 min.)

Probably the worst way to die would be from a knife wound. You could have 2-10 minutes or more before you actually bleed to death, all the while watching the life blood being pumped out by your own heart. The hospital is 30-45 minutes away and it will take an ambulance 45-60 minutes to respond. What should you do to help yourself or another person have a better chance of survival? This program shows how to access and evaluate knife wounds; the most important first aid you should give; how to prepare the wound for transportation; how to minimize bleeding; how to handle shock and patient duress.
jburtonpdx

Post by jburtonpdx »

I keep kit including lots of gauze, compression bandages, and a tourniquet with my range gear. It all fits in a gallon ziploc bag which has uses as well...

I agree that I'm not going to be stitching anybody up, providing fluids etc, however there are things that can be done beyond the red cross first aid class. The 3 day course at TDI is worth it, I know one of the instructors and what they are teaching is good stuff. Also as stated doing that much work based on first aid does help with confidence.

That said, I like the intentionally over simplified advice - plug whats leaking and call 911, I also like the, make the area safe - all guns holstered, send people to guide medics to the injured, and would suggest engaging the range management if there is any where you are at since they possibly have additional resources.

How about this -- we harp on training and independence, all agree that its a good thing when it comes to personal defense. Why not take the same approach to personal medical emergencies?
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Learn to fight and practice what you learn.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

jburtonpdx wrote: How about this -- we harp on training and independence, all agree that its a good thing when it comes to personal defense. Why not take the same approach to personal medical emergencies?
Some view "tactical training," as over-ninjafied, too. :P In the minds of such folks, only they are right: training any less than what they have they would view as a death-sentence, but any more, and they see you as a mall-ninja-pseudo-assassin-wanna-be. :lol:

But that said, what we can - and probably should - do is truly rather limited. Towards that, the previously posted advice about NAEMT, Red Cross (basic first aid, first responder, basic EMT, or even trauma firsts responder) classes really does address the core of the issue, and heavy monetary investment is not necessary nor are these classes particularly hard to find in one's local area (versus the big-name tactical med. classes).
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
ArmyMedic90

Post by ArmyMedic90 »

Unless you have specific medical training and knowledge, you're just opening yourself up to a lawsuit if you use things like combat gauze (quik clot is outdated), chest seals, or poissibly tourniquets on a stranger.... The Good Samaritan laws of this country only cover so much... Like if you do 20 compressions to 2 breaths while performing CPR, you'd be covered. You start packing a person's wound with quik clot or combat gauze and you hold no certification to do so, not so much...

That being said, applying a tourniquet to an extremity bleed has been proven to prevent something like 90% of all combat-related deaths in the U.S. Armed Forces. Airway occlusion prevention further prevented deaths. Finally, treating penetrating chest wounds was a major player...

That being said, a tourniquet for an extremity bleed is your best bet to save a person's life (IF they were shot in an extremity, of course... I wouldn't advise putting a tourniquet on a neck wound....). Beyond that and CPR/abdominal thrusts for a choking victim, there really isn't a whole lot a good samaritan can do for a complete stranger without running the risk of losing his house, his cars, his guns, and anything else of value.

Could you keep a stocked advanced first aid kit to use on yourself (because you shoot far away and alone)? Sure. But find me even a well-trained medic who can render self-aid to a sucking chest wound and I'll do my best to find a Congressman who would recommend them for the Medal of Honor...

Luckily, we don't live in a third world country and the odds of someone dying from a single gunshot wound is at an all-time low. Definitive medical care is almost always within reach before a gunshot victim passes.
U.S. Army Combat Medic
Sworn LEO
Nationally Registered EMT
NRA Certified RSO
ArmyMedic90

Post by ArmyMedic90 »

That being said, prevention of negligent discharges is what should be most invested in. If you don't shoot at a range with RSOs that are on point and habitually and religiously enforce range safety rules, then find another range, my friends. Offense is sometimes the best defense.
U.S. Army Combat Medic
Sworn LEO
Nationally Registered EMT
NRA Certified RSO
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

As part of TDI's Active shooter class we got a added medical primer. I am going to further it by taking Greg Ellifritz's additional advanced class this year. I will not worry about being sued if I'm rendering aid. I didn't worry about it when I was a first responder on the FD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

ArmyMedic90 wrote:Unless you have specific medical training and knowledge, you're just opening yourself up to a lawsuit if you use things like combat gauze (quik clot is outdated), chest seals, or poissibly tourniquets on a stranger.... The Good Samaritan laws of this country only cover so much... Like if you do 20 compressions to 2 breaths while performing CPR, you'd be covered. You start packing a person's wound with quik clot or combat gauze and you hold no certification to do so, not so much...
Certainly true - but if it's a loved one, I won't even blink. And if it's the difference between the injured simply sitting there or actually getting some attention, I'll risk it: in the end, it comes to being able to look at myself in the mirror. But definitely, such real-world concerns are most certainly not to be downplayed.
Luckily, we don't live in a third world country and the odds of someone dying from a single gunshot wound is at an all-time low. Definitive medical care is almost always within reach before a gunshot victim passes.
Very lucky indeed. :)
ArmyMedic90 wrote:That being said, prevention of negligent discharges is what should be most invested in.
Absolutely!
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio