Owens Firearm Classes - Best Kept Secret

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

RN, EMT-P

Re: Owens Firearm Classes - Best Kept Secret

Post by RN, EMT-P »

Day 1 of the course is held at the Owens Community College Center for Emergency Preparedness at 30150 Tracy Road Walbridge, OH. The facility is really nice. They have a 5-story fire training tower and can simulate many conditions, a propane storage fire simulator, rail cars, Boeing 727 and a mock village all designed for training police and fire. There is a good view of the facility on Google earth.
Day 2 is at the police firing range up the road a bit.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Thank you. :)

Err....almost a two-hour drive: but it's on a weekend. :)

Lemmie check with the boss. :oops: I'm hopeful! Arcrider, you there? :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
CEP

Post by CEP »

Greetings,

I noticed several comments regarding the advanced firearm training offered at the Owens College Center for Emergency Preparedness. I wanted to give you all some additional information. As Director of the Center my goal is to provide the best firearms training possible. We want to increase the safety of all who possess firearms and the best way to do that is through education and training. We do offer several courses ranging from the CCW course to the Combat Pistol Craft Course. We also have an open range course for those wishing to spend quality time on the range with our instructors who can give pointers and challenge your skills and abilities through additional training points and assessments. Many of our courses can be found at our website http://www.owens.edu/cep" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; We would be happy to schedule additional classes as the need or demand dictates. We would also be more than happy to schedule a specific training course for all of you, we simply need to meet the minimum enrollment requirement of 7 students.

We also offer Home Defense (Shotgun) training and less lethal tactics using non firearm based weapons and tactics. This course has been well liked by women and families. While I have your attention :) Would there be an interest in carbine training or personal reloading classes?

Please feel free to contact me directly for additional information and scheduling {It is a violation of the ToS to post email contact info in the open forum - sabalo}
Mike
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Firearms training right in my own back yard? Count me in!

Is there an age requirement for the courses? My daughter its a 19 yo student at owens and would like to attend.

Oh, welcome to the forum!
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
SC-JG

Post by SC-JG »

Hmmm...how to convince the significant other that taking the compact pistol craft course in April is way better than going to that out of town, nephew's, second wedding..... going to have to turn on the charm. :P
...peace out
Just One Shot

Post by Just One Shot »

Is the ammo included in this price? If not, how much extra does it cost?
"I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)
CEP

Post by CEP »

The classes are awesome. They have the basic CCW class and another called the open range. This one allows you 4 full hours on the range with their instructors who will help correct minor errors in stance and target acquisitions and will challenge you with some low light drills and "combat Stress" drills. They have a two day Combat Pistol course that is out of this world. It is pretty hard core. The first day is inside of a huge training facility. They use weapons re-barreled for simunitions. Here they do shoot and move, multiple targets, various shooting positions, low light, hall and building clearing, engagement from inside of a vehicle and ecen do a little force on force with the instructor. The second day is all live fire on the range. I left with a satisfied and confident feeling and blisters on my trigger finger.... :lol: They have a web site http://www.owens.edu/cep" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or they can be reached at {Deleted - sabalo}. Talk to Debbie. Its worth it!!
SylCarry87

Post by SylCarry87 »

Okay so this is coming up pretty soon guys. Who's in? I'm gonna sign up on Thursday! :D
Man has made tools for himself since he had the awareness to do so.
Every tool has its purpose but ultimately it is the wielder who determines its use.
A firearm is the same.

Guns are always loaded. Always
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

I'm not going to be able to make it until later in the year. :(

Injury is still not at the point where I can safely train. I don't wanna fall and shoot a line mate! :!: :shock: :P :lol:

:( :(
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Fett85

Post by Fett85 »

I am texting a buddy of mine about this right now. How much ammo is suggested/required??
terrachic

Post by terrachic »

FYI...I don't know if this would be any closer for you guys but I know Terra State Community College also holds Concealed Weapon Training. I know one of the instructors. Here is some info from their web site.

Concealed Weapon Permit Training
This course meets and exceeds the requirements and standards set by Ohio Law and is a required course for those wishing to apply for a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Our Ohio Police Officers Training Academy and NRA certified Firearms Instructors bring experience and knowledge to the class. This course stresses firearm safety and broadly discusses several aspects of firearms law. It will cover rules for the safe handling of a firearm and will teach you the proper maintenance and storage practices for handguns and ammunition. It will also discuss the skills and attitude necessary to use a handgun and its appropriate use for self-defense. 5 hours of hands-on training at the firing range is included (on the second class date). Note: No guns to be brought to classroom. Men and women welcome.
3 sessions 15 hrs. $119
Apr. 27 & May 11 S 10:00am-3:00pm
May 4 (at the range) S 9:00am-2:00pm

Concealed Weapons Practical Skills Training
After taking the mandatory training and succeeding in your limited firing range time, spend some quality time on the firing range with our professional instructors. Learn the skills the basic Concealed Weapons Training Course did not have time to cover. Test yourself in the various shooting scenarios that will be presented on the range. This course covers many topics and skills of interest and includes:
• Live fire directed by instructors, to include safety, common distances, target acquisition, rapid fire and self-paced exercises
• Situational immersion exercises including strong hand/offhand, low light conditions and multiple targets – timed and scored with measurable feedback
• One to two specific exercises depending on the skill level of the class and the feedback obtained during the class focusing on skills that are difficult to practice without the proper resources
Participants must possess a Concealed Weapons Permit
1 session 4 hrs. $69
May 18 S 9:00am-1:00pm

Contact the Kern Center at Terra State Community College, 2830 Napoleon Road, Fremont, OH 43420
email: {deleted per ToS - sabalo}
phone: {deleted per ToS - sabalo}