Owens Firearm Classes - Best Kept Secret

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

RN, EMT-P

Owens Firearm Classes - Best Kept Secret

Post by RN, EMT-P »

I attended the “Combat Pistol Craft” course offered at Owens Community College this weekend. I have to say that the 14 hours of advanced handgun instruction far exceeded my expectations.
Day 1 started with a safety briefing, discussions on the use of lethal force then a hands on look at a collection of commercial and homemade lethal weapons. The bulk of the day, though, was spent at the indoor fire training center shooting simunition. We started out with some basic aim and shoot at paper targets and progressed through shooting on the move and multiple targets. The day culminated with various “homeowner” scenarios inside the fire training house. The scenarios included an intruder armed with either knife or gun or a non-weapon object to create shoot/no-shoot situations and often the BG engages the student with simunition fire. These were run with various lighting (or lack thereof) conditions. A great time was had by all (including the instructor despite a couple of welts from simunition impacts). Great realistic scenarios, helpful coaching on verbal commands, use of cover and concealment and post-shoot debriefings certainly boosted my level of education and confidence.
Day 2 took place on the TPD academy firing range running through progressive drills engaging single or multiple static targets. This also included shooting from distances up to 70 or so feet to as little as 3 feet and from various prone and reclining positions.
The weather was great, hundreds of rounds from each of us went downrange, the LEO instructors were engaged and fun, and the strict attention to range safety was appreciated. It just doesn't get any better than that.
The fact that there were only three of us in the class (there were two no-shows) was appreciated by us students as we each got a lot of simunition time and lots of one-on-one instruction. But it was also a shame that not more have taken advantage of this class. Although the handgun courses they hold are listed in their brochures I don’t think that they are getting out to enough of the firearms community.
If you get a chance I highly recommend their classes.
pirateguy191

Re: Owens Firearm Classes - Best Kept Secret

Post by pirateguy191 »

Looks like good training for $125.00 but I couldn't find a link to the actual course.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ +1. Linkie, please?
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Arcrider

Post by Arcrider »

Is this near Toledo? Allen, if you want someone to go with, let me know. I could drive.
58duck

Post by 58duck »

Arcrider wrote:Is this near Toledo? Allen, if you want someone to go with, let me know. I could drive.
rossford - east side of toledo - very close to turnpike, i-75 and i-280
NRA Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
RN, EMT-P

Post by RN, EMT-P »

Sorry. That wasn't nice of me to dangle this out there without the link https://www.owens.edu/cep/calendar.html
Today's class was the last for the calendar year.
soontobedeity
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by soontobedeity »

Arcrider wrote:Is this near Toledo? Allen, if you want someone to go with, let me know. I could drive.
I saw these and was pretty interested. If you guys end up going, I'd tag along.
Arcrider

Post by Arcrider »

Thanks for the info. If we could, keep an eye on the calendar, when the dates for 2013 pop up, let's PM each other and organize this a little better. I definitely want to do this.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

I'd be up for 2013 classes - I'm currently on the DL. :lol: :oops: :(
SylCarry87

Post by SylCarry87 »

Looks like the next one is April 20th & 21st. Maybe if we have another M&G before then we can plan a few things.

I was quite surprised when I found out Owens does CC classes.
Man has made tools for himself since he had the awareness to do so.
Every tool has its purpose but ultimately it is the wielder who determines its use.
A firearm is the same.

Guns are always loaded. Always
dingode

Post by dingode »

I'd be up for that. If someone is keeping a list of people to PM, please add me to the list.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

I was just looking for an advanced pistol training class in NW OH, glad I took the time to browse!
I think I might sign up for the April one.
Since it seems like many interested here, maybe they would add one just for a group of us?
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8
Radionicist

Post by Radionicist »

Bumping this up - I just sent in my registration for the April course offering. Hope to see a few of you there!

Tony
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

TSiWRX wrote:^ +1. Linkie, please?
OH BOY....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ :P :lol: OK, let's just be open about it. If I actually could hit what I'm aiming for, I wouldn't be taking all this training! :oops:

---

Can't see my schedule out to April, yet. Big possibility of a family trip at around that time. Can't commit, yet....

Is there a more precise location that I can Mapquest/Google, so that I can figure out approximate travel times. I don't need the exact range address or anything like that, just something that I can play with to see what I can fit into my stupid schedule. :oops: