LC9 Slide locks on failure to fire

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bzink

LC9 Slide locks on failure to fire

Post by bzink »

I was at the range today training with my LC9. I had some dummy rounds and I was working on clearing misfires. The first few times through the drill (dummy round placed randomly) I found myself missing the rack the first time but getting it the second time. I assumed it was because I hadn't practiced it on this gun yet, (still weird though).

Finally after the third time of missing I decided to check it out. I put the dummy round in the magazine, chambered it, pulled the trigger. I grabbed the slide to pull bag and it was completely locked. You have to pull, release, pull again to get it to cycle.

Is it just me or is this a deal breaker for this gun? I've never had a misfire with my carry ammo, and to my recollection none at all with this gun, but it can still happen. The clearing procedure worries me.
bzink

Re: LC9 Slide locks on failure to fire

Post by bzink »

Hmmm, I just tried it again with some azoom snap caps and I could not reproduce the lock-up. At the range I was using ST Action pro dummy rounds. They weren't mine, so I can't try them right now.

Anyone familiar with the internals of this gun know of any reason the slide would lock up like I described?
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

My old XD 45 and XD 9c both did this with Alum snap caps. Never could figure what was causing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Ekelly

Post by Ekelly »

hello bzink and forum members,
First time poster here. i know this thread is kind of old but since im having the same problem i'm wondering if you ever figured out what was causing the issue? I Called Ruger and tech said there might be some sharp corners hanging up the mechanism and suggested I run a couple of boxes of ammo through it to break it in. I've now run over 200 rounds and I'm still having the issue. I'm going to be calling them back but am curious if you resolved the problem.
Thanks,
Ekelly