Costa Ludus 2013 classes.

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Quack

Costa Ludus 2013 classes.

Post by Quack »

HE01 Southington, OH
Start: Apr 19, 2013End: Apr 21, 2013

CE01 Southington, OH
Start: Apr 23, 2013End: Apr 25, 2013

HE02 Southington, OH
Start: Aug 16, 2013End: Aug 18, 2013

CE02 Southington, OH
Start: Aug 20, 2013End: Aug 22, 2013

http://www.costaludus.com/index.php?rou ... ry&path=59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm most likely going to do the HE02 class. I bet TSiWRX will try to do all of them. :shock:
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Costa Ludus 2013 classes.

Post by TSiWRX »

I'm going to do HE02 again, for-sure. I should be making a deposit either this month or the next. I need to feel out Sara's schedule, first.

I don't think I can make any of the April classes (despite *REALLY* wanting to do CE01). I know we have several trips planned for the spring.

Which ones are you going to do?
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Quack

Post by Quack »

Planning on HE02. I think Cuong is gonna try to get to HE01. If he does, i'm gonna try to get him to do HE02 with us.

I think the Jeff from Springfield, IL (he was in class with his brother and father) is going to plan on HE02 and i left a FB message for the Pharmacist about HE02 as well
Quack

Post by Quack »

looks like the Pharmacist is in.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Damn, I better get in my deposit quick! :D
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

I'm locked for HE02. Paid today.

We'll see if I can make HE01/CE01 or not...I won't have solid travel plans for our family trips until closer to February, and if his courses are as popular as they were last year, I don't think I'm going to have any openings to slot myself into, at that time. :(
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

Question: I have the budget for either TDI Handgun 1-3 or one of Ludus HE01 class. What's the major differences and similarities?
I've had consistently good results with ether.
Quack

Post by Quack »

haven't taken the TDI class, but the CL HE01 class is pretty much what you see in the Magpul video, with some differences. HE01 is to work on your fundamentals.

Looking at the TDI I-III, it looks like it's more of a tactics type class.

I can't tell you which class to take, but you should look at what you want to focus on? Tactics or Weapon handling?
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Solely from looking at the TDI curricula - since I've not yet been able to attend :oops: :arrow:

One big difference is that the Costa Ludus classes will not have the same physical facilities as TDI - the "tactics" portion that comprises each of the Handgun I-III courses at TDI will thus be absent at Costa Ludus, same goes with force-on-force. For Costa's school, that's currently in the "Tactical Operations" part of his house, which is not available to civilians.

Also absent from Costa Ludus are the lecture material regarding mindset and the shooting's aftermath, as well as weapons selection/maintenance. Costa's class is more purely about being able to run your gun and get your hits.

To me, it would seem that Costa's classes - as they exist now - are more tailored towards the beginning-to-intermediate shooter, at his "01"-level, whereas starting on the ground floor with TDI's "Handgun I" course, at least from what I can read online, is also suitable for a complete novice to begin there. Costa's class, even at the "01"-level, is really not designed to hand-hold the absolute novice through the very basics (his recent Facebook posting, which I've been forwarded by another friend of mine, reflects this level of prerequisite skills mastery). Like Quack said, if you've got the Magpul The Art of the Dynamic Handgun DVD-series, it's pretty much the first disc: reaction/support/"weak"-hand manipulations are reserved for the "02"-level class.

Without knowing, fully, what kind of shooter you are, it's hard for me to make any kind of recommendations, either way. However, I will say that, honestly, had I lived closer to TDI, I would almost certainly have already taken their Handgun progression, and that it would likely have taken the place of my going to Costa's handgun classes this year. At the same time, though, I also find that I do have conflicting feelings about why TDI structured their curricula they way they did, in introducing tactics so early: Costa's classes teach what are perhaps truly the core "life-saving skills" needed to truly run a pistol without the complications of introducing tactics to the equation, forcing the students to focus purely on manipulations.

I envy that you have a choice. :D

But I don't envy you for the choice that you have to make. :)

No matter what, though, I do think it'll be time and money well-spent.

-----

Similarities?

Both schools are of the modern method. And from reading various AARs, I believe that both have a high round-count while yet insisting that the students get their hits. The fundamentals are the fundamentals, and aside from detail differences on preference/execution, it's going to be about the same.
Quack

Post by Quack »

^^^ so the Cliff notes is tactics or weapon handling. :lol:
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

I can draw, shoot, and generally hit what I aim at. I love shooting IDPA-type matches, I run hard and "shoot to win". On the other hand, I LOVED 2012 FnG at TDI...........Bah. Where's an extra $700 when I need it?
I've had consistently good results with ether.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Quack wrote:^^^ so the Cliff notes is tactics or weapon handling. :lol:
^ :lol: Yeah, I know!

I took a break writing, and when I hit "Submit," you'd already put up your response. :P :lol:
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

There are a couple TDI H 1-3 reviews out there one here and another on XDtalk. Basically starts at scratch as if you have never held a handgun to running the gun from the draw and dealing with induced malfunctions then tactics for shooting from behind concealment and cover. Psychology and legalities are a part of this multi day class. It also meets the requirements for your CHL. Its a really good class as they really try to clean up your built in bad shooting habits. At the end of each of their classes, they give you a teaser of whats available in the next evolution...

I'm personally ready for H4-5. Next years schedule is out and I see only one class being taught for it next year, the other one is blacked out. I am thinking of taking the open class and Tac Rifle 1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
yoko

Post by yoko »

im jealous of you guys who can attend!

have fun , learn a lot.......................then show us poor people!lol
" The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable"
- Sun Tzu
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Whatever you'd like to know, I'm always willing to share with you whatever I've learned. :) The "support hand" thread, for-instance, has an out-link to a thread dealing with handgun grip techniques on DC.com, and I pretty much laid out what I've learned from each of the schools I've attended/instructors I've studied under so far.
Bianchi? wrote:I can draw, shoot, and generally hit what I aim at. I love shooting IDPA-type matches, I run hard and "shoot to win". On the other hand, I LOVED 2012 FnG at TDI...........Bah. Where's an extra $700 when I need it?
Hard decision - like I said, I don't envy you for having to make that choice.

The truth of the matter is that you'd benefit as much from either one just as much as you'd lose out on what each did not include in their curriculum.