9mm v. 45 v. Rifle A Doctor's View of Gunshot Wounds

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Axess Denyd

Re: 9mm v. 45 v. Rifle A Doctor's View of Gunshot Wounds

Post by Axess Denyd »

The primary reason I am planning to transition to my AR-15 for home defense is overpenetration -- rifles have LESS than handguns or shotguns (assuming you're not using birdshot, and why would you?). There are a variety of tests online showing penetration of various calibers vs drywall, light rifle bullets always tend to have the lest penetration when compared to handgun calibers of 9mm and higher, as well as buckshot.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to know that the round is incredibly effective on tissue.

However, since I have a lot more comfort with the shotgun right now, that is my go-to unless it's too far away.
Cogito ergo armatum sum -- I think, therefore I am armed.
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Axess Denyd wrote:The primary reason I am planning to transition to my AR-15 for home defense is overpenetration -- rifles have LESS than handguns or shotguns (assuming you're not using birdshot, and why would you?). There are a variety of tests online showing penetration of various calibers vs drywall, light rifle bullets always tend to have the lest penetration when compared to handgun calibers of 9mm and higher, as well as buckshot.
There's quite a bit wrong with the statements above.

Riddle me this, Batman - if rifles suffer from such {inappropriate language}-poor ballistic performance, why don't our men at arms just carry handguns into battle?
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Please tell us where you got that "wrong" info.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
dsk
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by dsk »

jabeatty wrote:
Axess Denyd wrote:The primary reason I am planning to transition to my AR-15 for home defense is overpenetration -- rifles have LESS than handguns or shotguns (assuming you're not using birdshot, and why would you?). There are a variety of tests online showing penetration of various calibers vs drywall, light rifle bullets always tend to have the lest penetration when compared to handgun calibers of 9mm and higher, as well as buckshot.

Riddle me this, Batman - if rifles suffer from such {inappropriate language} ballistic performance, why don't our men at arms just carry handguns into battle?

Sight radius, for one. Steady hold, for another.
Pay your dues.
ArmyMedic90

Post by ArmyMedic90 »

dsk wrote:
jabeatty wrote:

Riddle me this, Batman - if rifles suffer from such {inappropriate language} ballistic performance, why don't our men at arms just carry handguns into battle?

Sight radius, for one. Steady hold, for another.
In addition, larger magazine capacity, long-range performance of rifle ammunition, and armor-piercing capability of rifle ammunition...
U.S. Army Combat Medic
Sworn LEO
Nationally Registered EMT
NRA Certified RSO