Steel target safe shooting distance.....

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Steel target safe shooting distance.....

Post by carmen fovozzo »

....On a outside range that has steel targets that are good for .223 and handgun, how close can you shoot before it becomes a safety issue ?
Mainly concerned shooting 9MM a 40CAL....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Re: Steel target safe shooting distance.....

Post by Brian D. »

There are NRA and other guidelines which don't quite match up, what I go with is 25 ft. minimum. Ten yards is better. But honestly Carmen it also depends on how the steel is anchored/held and the angle it points at.

Obviously, alway wear your glasses, whether shooting or watching. And if the glasses don't have side shields make sure you don't turn 90 degrees from the firing line. One other thing--apologize if it's not news to you--don't shoot at any steel which has been cratered, the dimple can make a whole bullet stop and do a 180 degree turn without losing much energy.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian D. wrote:There are NRA and other guidelines which don't quite match up, what I go with is 25 ft. minimum. Ten yards is better. But honestly Carmen it also depends on how the steel is anchored/held and the angle it points at.

Obviously, always wear your glasses, whether shooting or watching. And if the glasses don't have side shields make sure you don't turn 90 degrees from the firing line. One other thing--apologize if it's not news to you--don't shoot at any steel which has been cratered, the dimple can make a whole bullet stop and do a 180 degree turn without losing much energy.
The steel target's are 8" disks that dangle from a steel hanger on a loop..They move slightly when hit and are on a vertical as vertical as you can get...
These steel targets are made by my son who use to be a welder. He bought steel that does not dimple at all.....Paint chips but other then that it stays smooth....
Targets are about 4' off the ground....
Thanks......
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

It depends. Handgun or rifle?

Handgun? 14fts about my limit on a target that's completely verticle.

Rifle? 50yrds. If you want the steel to last for rifle shooting, anything 223 and up shouldn't be shot closer than 100yds. And even then your gonna chunk up that steel. If your son was able to make AR400 or AR500 then it'll dimple abit. But not much. If its just simple cold rolled steel? Maybe 200rnds.
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Probably goes without saying, but always be sure to wear your eye protection. Pieces of jackets and chunks of lead does come back at you on occasion, especially if you have worn out targets and at certain angles. Usually it's not much but a small tap or a thump against you, but rarely it can even cut or leave welts. Nothing too hazardous with the right protection, but even the smallest cut on the face tends to bleed more than you'd think it should. Most ricochets tend to come back at the same level as the barrel, meaning most hits (although rare) will be to the shoulders, arms and face area. Safety first!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Brian D. wrote:--don't shoot at any steel which has been cratered, the dimple can make a whole bullet stop and do a 180 degree turn without losing much energy.
This needs quoted and repeated...I've seen this first-hand and it's absolutely accurate.

It's not all that difficult to ruin a fine steel target with a rifle at too close a range. Try to use those targets later with handguns, and you'll get a lesson on how difficult it is to dodge bullets when YOU are the one shooting them. :shock:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

From what I understand, it's safer to use lead bullets than jacketed. Right?

Ken
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

OhioPaints wrote:From what I understand, it's safer to use lead bullets than jacketed. Right?

Ken

Yeah, generally speaking that's true.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
tdeal823

Post by tdeal823 »

I have quite a few steel targets that I use for handgun. 12" 10" 8" discs and a few silouetes. For rifle we have some big plates mounted. I have shot rifle at 100 yards but it does a number on the target. 200 or more yards for steel and rifle combo makes me feel better.

All of my targets are mounted with a bar to swing. and all sit at a small angle back to direct most of the lead and jacketing towards the ground. I will try to get some pictures.
tdeal823

Post by tdeal823 »

This is what 223 does to 3/8 thick plate at 100 yards.

The white target is 200 yards with a 338 Lapua. It is 3/4" 304 stainless steel on a swinging target stand. It not only blew holes in the plate but flipped it 2 or 3 times on the
target stand.
The black target is 100 yards with 223 it is 1/2" plate steel. You can see the cratering. I did not hear so see any evidence of rounds coming back towards us.
This target was also on a swinging target stand. Maybe that's why nothing was coming back? I'm not sure. but I did these for testing.

here are some of my targets all on one stand.
shooterwolf

Post by shooterwolf »

tdeal823 wrote:I have quite a few steel targets that I use for handgun. 12" 10" 8" discs and a few silouetes. For rifle we have some big plates mounted. I have shot rifle at 100 yards but it does a number on the target. 200 or more yards for steel and rifle combo makes me feel better.

All of my targets are mounted with a bar to swing. and all sit at a small angle back to direct most of the lead and jacketing towards the ground. I will try to get some pictures.

Spend the money on A.R.500 steel targets. Mild steel for rifle targets are a waste of time and money and are a safety concern.
Mine are over 18 months old and don't even have a dimple in them. I shoot my plates at 50 yards min. with .223 and 100 min. with 30.06 .

S.W.
tdeal823

Post by tdeal823 »

I have been getting my steel for free from work. They are all drops and scraps from work. I will see what the prices are for ar500
dregan1000

Post by dregan1000 »

Klingon00 wrote:Probably goes without saying, but always be sure to wear your eye protection. Pieces of jackets and chunks of lead does come back at you on occasion, especially if you have worn out targets and at certain angles. Usually it's not much but a small tap or a thump against you, but rarely it can even cut or leave welts. Nothing too hazardous with the right protection, but even the smallest cut on the face tends to bleed more than you'd think it should. Most ricochets tend to come back at the same level as the barrel, meaning most hits (although rare) will be to the shoulders, arms and face area. Safety first!

TRUTH! I had a piece of 7.62x39 copper jacket come back at me once from 60 yards or so and gave me a slice on my neck so deep I almost needed stitches. (in shooting thousands of rounds, this is the only time I've been hit by ricochet, and boy, was it a doozie.)
Specialization is for insects.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

dregan1000 wrote:
Klingon00 wrote:Probably goes without saying, but always be sure to wear your eye protection. Pieces of jackets and chunks of lead does come back at you on occasion, especially if you have worn out targets and at certain angles. Usually it's not much but a small tap or a thump against you, but rarely it can even cut or leave welts. Nothing too hazardous with the right protection, but even the smallest cut on the face tends to bleed more than you'd think it should. Most ricochets tend to come back at the same level as the barrel, meaning most hits (although rare) will be to the shoulders, arms and face area. Safety first!

TRUTH! I had a piece of 7.62x39 copper jacket come back at me once from 60 yards or so and gave me a slice on my neck so deep I almost needed stitches. (in shooting thousands of rounds, this is the only time I've been hit by ricochet, and boy, was it a doozie.)
I thought generally 100 yds was the safe range for center fire rifle on steel?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

dregan1000 wrote:

Don't see that term used much anymore ....... be careful you might date yourself; here's the original:

"Duesenberg (often nicknamed "Duesy") was originally an American luxury automobile company. It was most famous for its high-quality passenger cars and record-breaking racing cars. Based in Auburn, Indiana, it was active in various forms from 1913 to 1937."