Handgun Training

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Handgun Training

Post by TSiWRX »

^ I saw that one, while I was lurking on BFA....

I couldn't make out any kind of address on their site, though. :cry: Are they in the area?
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
XDm45

Post by XDm45 »

I believe they are in the Mohican area, not positive on that though. I know one of the trainers, but unfortunately, i only see him once a year usually. I will try to get more info from him. My wife has added him to facebook (I hate facebook, so I don't have it), so I will put her on a mission.
This Space For Rent
XDm45

Post by XDm45 »

Oh, and i sent him a text leading him here, so maybe he will join and chime in.
This Space For Rent
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Cool beans. I'd love to get more training. :)

I'm also one of the few adults my age (mid-30s) who does not have FB. :oops: :lol:
XDm45

Post by XDm45 »

I texted him today, they are located in loudonville.
This Space For Rent
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Thank you. :)

For that facility, it would be worth the drive.... I'll have to keep an eye out for their training opportunities in the near future!

Thanks again!
XDm45

Post by XDm45 »

My pleasure, I am going to try and put a group together for what would probably level 2(ish) handgun in the late spring early summer. Want to progressively work my way through the skills and knowledge. I did mention to the guy I know that he should join here, so we'll see if he drops in.
This Space For Rent
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ If you don't mind me joining y'all, I'd definitely be interested. :)
XDm45

Post by XDm45 »

Sounds good to me, getting harder and harder to gather up 8 people on any given day as it is, then throw in a drive, a specific interest or skill set, and a little dough, and it's like pulling teeth. :roll:
This Space For Rent
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Yep. I know, I know. :(

That's basically what forced Ron Lauinger to close down the firearms side of his school. A tremendous loss for the community.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Went to Commence Fire's "Shoot With Instructors" and "Advance Shoot With Instructors" last night. Again, it was a great way to spend 4 hours. :) I still maintain that it's the best buy for the money - $40 per session, pretty much a semi-private tutored shooting session.

During the first hour, I figured out that me fighting my natural point-of-aim was what was throwing my shots off to the 3. Over the last couple of months, it had probably been a combination of my reaction/support-hand thumb steering the gun during recoil as well, but I thought that I had that worked out on my last (solo) range session at Sherwin, so when it manifested again last night, even after I'd taken specific steps to insure that I wasn't creating the problem, well, I was pretty concerned. Thanks to the coaching of two of their instructors, Chris and Kip, we figured out that it was my trying to fight my natural point-of-aim that's actually causing me troubles.

The "Advance" session probably saved my life.

For as much as Bill of Three Tango corrected me dropping shots after a reload, last night, Keith and Ryan brought to-light the fact that I am relying too much on the capacity ("Yeah, 19+1, baby!" :lol: ) of my XDm9. In having run either with the gun topped-off or with shorter/less-round-count drills, I simply don't have that much experience reloading, and while my full-sized gun disguises that nicely since it virtually always drops free its mags, when it's my Compact, the meat of my palms can temporarily weld the magazine extension to the frame, causing the magazine to not drop free. That created a whole bunch of problems for me, for the execution of the reload. Needless to say, that's something that I will be working on, *A LOT.* Since I have something like 12 range magazines for the gun, I think I will down-load the pistol from now on, so that I can get in more magazine-change practice. Certainly, I think that I will also be adopting D.R.Middlebrooks' "practical" reload method, and working on smoothing-out the motions per instructor Ryan.

I would not hesitate, for one second, to pay twice - or even three times - as much to have this kind of instruction.

Oh, and still no shoot-house, yet...but they're going to be offering low-light. 8) And they promise that a "run your gun" type of AR and shotgun classes are in the works! :D
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Yeah, mag changes are an important skill for two obvious reasons.
Malfunction
Out of ammo.

Nearly all the drills I set up at The SHC's Concealed Carry Shoot involve a reload.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

The magazine hanging in the well really caught me off. I had not experienced that nearly so much before. I really think that since my support hand has gone to the Fist-Fire Wrist Lock, it's somehow stressing the magazine-extension interface with the bottom of the grip a little more, and that along with the meat at the heel of my gun-hand palm, allowing for a temporary "weld" that gets more solid as I fire more rounds. It virtually never presents itself when I dry-practice reloads, and I'm now trying to find a way to simulate it.

I think that had this been a problem when I shot my carry in an intermediate-level class, I would have noticed, since that class was very rigorous, in terms of processes.

Certainly, the fact that for the vast majority of last year, I shot my full-sized pistol exclusively (17K+ rounds versus 8K rounds; full-size vs. carry, respectively), and that virtually always drops free, this is definitely a failure that I'm glad I encountered in a training atmosphere!

And speaking of malfunction remediation:

To show you how much I relied on the XDm's capacity, the first time I dropped the striker and the gun didn't go off, I automatically assumed that it was dry, and ripped out the magazine. I was so lucky that my instincts had been right - otherwise, Keith said that he'd have put his boot up my butt, had he seen even a single good round left in the mag. :D But that was embarrassing, still, because I know how to run malfunctions - at one point this last year, I had a bruise on my support hand that matched, perfectly, the base-plate of my magazine: I'd done so many malfunction drills that day.

Nevertheless, that's a training scar that I need to overcome. I'm currently examining and self-debating the various techniques that I've learned, to see if they really mesh with "reality," or if they are somehow playing more into my range/class/training, instead. There are techniques which I suspect that while they may help me do better in a class setting, they're actually going to be more of a liability, "in reality."

I'm trying to work towards reality. :)
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Good points Allen.

I, for one kick myself when I rely on "drop free" mag drops when at the range.
This only happens when shooting my Kimber. I need to remedy that practice, even if the Kimber's magazines always seem to fall free flawlessly when I need them to.

When shooting the Glocks, I hit the mag release and "rip" the mag out.

That should be SOP with all magazine fed pistols IMO.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ I'm definitely beginning to feel that way! I know that's how I will be practicing, from now on!

The added benefit, I think, is that I will have the added muscle-memory to rely on for double-feed malfunction clearances.