Scary

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mad Duck

Scary

Post by Mad Duck »

I kinda hoped this would be the busy section of the forum's.
How many people are really doing any sort of training on their own?
I guess in my mind getting the CHL & carrying are just a first step, how often are people getting to the range, & burning serious powder?
How many CHLs are looking for more training, like the NRA Personal Protection course, etc??
The gun is only going to be as good as you are.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Haven't been to any formal school in quite a spell, but go out on my own and practice/train. At least one solo shooting session per week, and then again with a small group of friends. This is so we can pull a few "surprise" drills on each other.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Scary

Post by TunnelRat »

Mad Duck wrote:I kinda hoped this would be the busy section of the forum's.
I guess in my mind getting the CHL & carrying are just a first step, how often are people getting to the range, & burning serious powder?
How many CHLs are looking for more training, like the NRA Personal Protection course, etc??
Perhaps the word "Training" tends to thin the traffic here. Training implies a trainer and a training facility, both of which further imply beaucoup bucks...

I make it a point to get to the range several times each month (sometimes several times each week), to work through several different draw and fire drills. I also try strong hand only, weak hand, "tap, rack, bang", and shooting at targets to my left, right, and rear.

I don't really burn a lot of ammo, maybe 100 rounds each trip. I am not really much of a target shooter -- my favorite targets are standard picnic paper plates at 10 meters or less.

I would very much like to get more training, but Gunsite, Front Sight, Top Gun, LFI, and so on are all cost prohibitive.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

I don't get to go to the range as often as I'd like (does anyone?). I've considered going through another NRA course (personal protection), and I completed the NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program last year. It's not tremendously challenging for folks who've been shooting a while, but it does help build some skill, especially in weak hand shooting and multiple target engagement, and it's a good excuse to go to the range. I've also looked into competition as a way to build some skills, but I haven't yet acted on that.
rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

Mad Duck wrote:I kinda hoped this would be the busy section of the forum's.
I tend to do a lot of dry fire practice. I also try to get to the range about twice a month, It's hard to practice some things at the range due to their safety/liability rules, so I end up dry fireing them. I also try to take a class at TDI once a year.

Roger
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Sorry to get off topic..

Roger, noticed your 2 minutes from me. Stonewall is having a pig roast and giving away nice pistols for door prices. You get entered for Free when shooting.

Back on Topic...

I went lastnight for just 30 minutes to practice some draw methods.

and for you other locals, the signs being posted down on canal in the Cinemark/Higgies/Champs/Quaker Steak Parking Lot is BS.

Im going to do some investigating and see if anyone even knows its there.
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

Aaron wrote:Sorry to get off topic..

Roger, noticed your 2 minutes from me. Stonewall is having a pig roast and giving away nice pistols for door prices. You get entered for Free when shooting.

Back on Topic...

and for you other locals, the signs being posted down on canal in the Cinemark/Higgies/Champs/Quaker Steak Parking Lot is BS.

Aaron,
Thanks, I knew it was comming up but I don't know the date. That is where I do most of my shooting. An interesting note, on the day of the pigroast, stonewall gives 10% off everything. I usually take this opportunity to renew my membership. THAT is a pretty good deal but their prices are usually 20% above everyone else :roll:

Roger
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Barring illness, haunted automobiles, or really vile weather, I'm out about once a week. Mostly bullseye, but some odd drills, too - double-taps, surprise, etc.

Our range is a large open room, and about anything is permitted. I usually shoot with one guy, which is more fun than solo, and safer than a roomful. We're both old enough to avoid the silly stuff.

Tonight's theme (if we get there - the puppy had an "adjustment" this AM, and my buddy sometimes has to work) is "getting that first shot from a DA/SA on target as DA".

I did OPOTA in 1967-1968, and a lot of semi-formal "combat" stuff back then, too, and will do some more when the opportunity arises.

One thing I have learned is to practice at twice the normal distance. If you can do a respectable job there, with only the stress of looking like an idiot to your range buddy, you should be able to do well at half that distance under pressure.

(I got bit on this one about a month ago. Bought a second-hand compact .45, and couldn't hit the backstop at 15'. Backed off to 30' and it was as good as my Commander. At 30', I figured that it was impossible, and relaxed.... Back to 15' to be sure - it's fine now.)

Move the target, too - vary your distance, and vary it's height. I've been using 8-1/2 x 11 paper with 6" circles. This is good when you're in the groove, but beginners should stick with the "man-sized" targets - you want to really know where the misses go.

IMHO, "trolley" type ranges are very safe, but very limiting in what you can do. Outdoor ranges often have restrictions on things like "drawing".

(IMHO, too, you can do many of the "exercises" dry. If you haven't got a "red" or "blue" gun - whatever they're called this week - clear your practice weapon in another room, and move into one where there is no ammunition. Some guns need a magazine to dry-fire. Don't be tempted to just use a loaded one even if you don't plan to work the slide.... 'Course we all know this stuf....)

Another exercise I ran into a while back: With some care about magazines, or some care about cylinder rotation, stick a pencil in the bore. Walk up to a convenient wall and mark a "dot" on it at "target" height. Then back off about the length of the pencil, sight on the "dot", and fire. The pencil will mark the wall (maybe a nice sheet of paper would be a good idea) at some distance below the "dot". Repeat, and try to keep the group small. Maybe do this when the wife is out of town....

Regards,
Last edited by SMMAssociates on Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Gary

IDPA

Post by Gary »

look for a range that offers IDPA shooting. i found one that has open informal IDPA shooting every Wednsday eveing. it is fun and good pratice also
collin

Post by collin »

tommcnaughton wrote:I would very much like to get more training, but Gunsite, Front Sight, Top Gun, LFI, and so on are all cost prohibitive.
Tom, there is excellent affordable training right here in Ohio. Tactical Defense Institute provides world-class training at excellent prices. I, along with other OFCC staffers, have all trained there. To a man, we agree that John Benner provides top-notch training and instruction. John Benner also was the recipient of this years "Tony Gordon" award, given to the individual who has done most for the cause in the last year. Tell John that Collin and OFCC sent you. Seriously, you will not find a better experience. http://www.tdiohio.com
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

rouger10 wrote:
Aaron wrote:Sorry to get off topic..

Back on Topic...

Aaron,
Thanks, I knew it was comming up but I don't know the date. That is where I do most of my shooting. An interesting note, on the day of the pigroast, stonewall gives 10% off everything. I usually take this opportunity to renew my membership. THAT is a pretty good deal but their prices are usually 20% above everyone else :roll:

Roger
September 24th, and I didnt even know about the 10%, thanks for that.

If youre going, Im sure we will run into one another.

I actually got my Sig Pro from them, $480.00 was too good to pass up that evening. That was cheaper than Ganders price, very unlike Stonewall to have a decent price, but Im not complaining.

speaking of prices, I didnt have enough on me at the last gun show in bereaa few weeks back, 2 excellent Police trade ins, looked Mint too :(
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
Safety Guy

Post by Safety Guy »

A big +1 for Tactical Defense Institute!

I took their Handgun Levels I to III in spring of '04 and was impressed with Mr. Benner and his staff. FYI, you'd only need Levels I and II to qualify for a OHFUBARCCW permit, but I'd recommend doing at least to Level III, since you work from the holster more and do a "shoot house" exercise.

This past fall I again went back for a special course put on by a southern police officer named "Southnarc." It was an "extreme close quarter" course from 0 to about 6 feet. Much of the time we began with our foreheads touching the targets! Later we went to Simunitions and proceeded to shoot each other with "blueGlocks." This was the second block of training I've had with him and he is one of the best I've seen integrate all aspects of self-defense: H2H, knife, impact weapons, and firearms.

I plan to go back for more TDI courses, especially their ECQ course and eventually, Levels IV and up.

IMO, there is not enough "real world" training with handguns beginning with putting it all into "context." In a real attack, you might not be able to get your gun out, and if you do, it won't be a static piece of paper at seven yards.

Karl

PS: Just to clarify, "S'narc" does not work at TDI, he just rented the facility for this training.
I WANT VERMONT! (OR "ALASKA")
That's FIRST AMENDMENT CRUSADER PIGLET!
Castle

Post by Castle »

People are funny about training. I guess most feel they don't need any. I've had exactly one (1) CCW student ask about doing follow-up training.

We've had national instructors into our club in Coshocton. I have friends who host courses by big name instructors in Findlay, Pittsburgh, and Lebanon, IN. Good training in the area is available. Still, it's amazingly difficult to fill up one of these classes with students.

Not pursuing additional training is not just restricted to firearms. Anyone ever been to driver's school? How about motorcycle rider training? It seems that on-going training is typically pursued only when required by law.

Really rather sad.
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

Safety Guy wrote:A big +1 for Tactical Defense Institute!
I plan to go back for more TDI courses, especially their ECQ course and eventually, Levels IV and up.

My cousin and I attended TDI's ECQ course this past spring. It was fantastic!! You should signup now since it is only offered once each year. Very physical class, but put together all of the past training (H2H, knife, ground, firearms) that we have had over the years. Really told me how old and fat I have gotten. My 200lbs plus someone else on top of me kills, after 30sec of ground fighting I was sucking some serious wind. Some photo from the class are available here
http://usacweb.dyndns.org:8888/gallery/Training_Comp
Doesn't really do the class justice since we kept forgetting to stop training and take photos.

Joe
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

JEaton wrote:Some photo from the class are available here
http://usacweb.dyndns.org:8888/gallery/Training_Comp
Great pics! Thanks. :P
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.