bit by the BUG

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dan_sayers

bit by the BUG

Post by dan_sayers »

Been strongly considering a second carry gun lately. JUST considering though. Have many questions. Relying on a gaping shirt for waistband concealment is obviously going to print that much more with a second gun, so should I be considering carrying elsewhere? Any suggestions where? Most on my mind though, is the plain sight provision. Anybody else carry more than one? If so, how do you go about the plain sight nonsense for all piecei concerned?

Anything else I should be thinking about, by all means toss it out there. For example, if I'm involved in a justified shooting, will the police take all my guns? Or just all the guns on me? Or just all the guns on me of the caliber that person X was shot with? Go nuts please. I have lots of time to decide.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Dan -
Just my 2¢ - I'd go with some quality OC for weak side carry. If ya' wanna get a mouse gun, by all means do so. I carry one, and their redeeming quality is they are a gun - that you can have with you no matter your attire. But for everyday, I think you'd be better off expanding your continuum of force options. YMMV.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

NavyChief wrote:If ya' wanna get a mouse gun, by all means do so. I carry one, and their redeeming quality is they are a gun - that you can have with you no matter your attire. But for everyday, I think you'd be better off expanding your continuum of force options.
Actually, Dan already has a mouse gun. What he may need is a primary carry piece... :D
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

I would agree with NC, a good knife and OC will be better served than a second weapon. Expands your options more than just pulling a gun. Just my $.02 worth.
Ruger for me, please.

6 to date. with more to come!
GWC

Post by GWC »

Knives, OC and two guns. Don't forget to tac light.
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

tommcnaughton wrote:Actually, Dan already has a mouse gun. What he may need is a primary carry piece... :D
I was going to say he already has a BUG.

Took the words right out of my mouth, Tom! :lol:
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Definitely helpful input and something to get into. I was half planning to anyways. I still wouldn't mind an honest take on the questions at hand, if only to serve my curiosity until the time comes.
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

Dan,

To answer your question, the cops will take EVERY firearm you have access to if you are involved in a shooting.

If you are on foot they will take every firearm you have available on your person or gear.

It you are in your vehicle, they will take every firearm you have access to in your vehicle, plus those from above.

If you are involved in a shooting in your home they will take every firearm you have accessable there and on your person. They may clean out anything your wife is carrying also and might or might not remember to check your vehicle.

THe Plain Sight provisiion is going to be a PITA. Your best bet is do the Buckeye Tuck with your belt gun and put anything carried deeper in the lockbox while in the vehicle. Still have to handle one all the time. Will be much better when Plain Sight goes away.

I agree with the light carry suggested. I always have a knife, but it is for stuck seat belts, not self defense. I am not sure if it is legal to carry OC in Ohio or not, but I won't mess with it.

The one theory of the second gun that makes it attractive is the theory of the "New York Reload". When NYC cops were forced to carry an S&W M10 and had to load from loops (no speedloaders permitted) they would fire their M10 dry and then reholster and pull their off duty Cheifs Special or or Detective Special (these were specificed by department rules and they had to qualify with them before they could carry them). Thus the "New York Reload".

Buckshot
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

I usaully carry the .22 mag on the back of my belt for a Bug. but there is always a can of OC in the left pocket and a knife clipped to the inside of my left front pocket.
Chief in Youngstown said that OC is legal in most of the places that he knows but it HAS TO BE justified use. (just don't start the fight)
Don't know about too many places like leveland,Toledo,Columbus,or
Cinncinnasty.lol (good name cause I've been there for overnite layovers)
I've never heard of the police taking all your guns if you are involved in a shooting. What I heard was they will take the gun that was used, for verification that that was the weapon used to shoot the BG .But I'm not saying that that is the way it is.
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

My BUG is another BHP in a Ted Blocker crossdraw holster
doc832

A Second gun?

Post by doc832 »

Hi Dan and others. To qualify a second gun is not so difficult. First is how many times have you used the first. 2nd is how many rounds are the average for a shootout in Ohio. 3rd is if you carry semi-auto try carrying a 2nd clip instead. The average gun fight nation wide is still only 3 rounds. If you are in that one time gun fight of more than 5 rounds you may need a 2nd clip. I carry in bad areas and unlnown territory on regular basis. I have one extra clip and a dependable firearm with polished ramp and rounds. No Jams to consider. I have shot 3 people in my line of work and never fired more than 2 rounds. Trust me a second gun is more liability you don't need. If someone wrestles you down and trys to get at your weapon it will just increase the likelyhood of you getting killed. zConsider those questions first before becomine a CHL nut case to the public. If its that bad where you are then best of luck. :)
Sincerely in CHL
Bob H
Defense is a human right and a skill the strong maintain. Strength does not come from muscle or size, its a matter of personality. Every Free man should understand why He is free.
GWC

Post by GWC »

Every cop I know carries two guns. So do most tactical instructors. No matter how good of a gun you carry, something can go wrong or you can become disarmed. If you are struggling over one gun with a BG, you can draw your BUG and keep yourself alive. Its usually faster to pull another gun than it is to change mags.

I think the potential advantages of a BUG far outwiegh the potential disadvantages.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: bit by the BUG

Post by NavyChief »

dan_sayers wrote:For example, if I'm involved in a justified shooting, will the police take all my guns? Or just all the guns on me? Or just all the guns on me of the caliber that person X was shot with? Go nuts please. I have lots of time to decide.
OK, I didn't address this directly because there really is no one answer. It will vary from place to place. Driven primarily, I'd say, by the local political climate. My impression from what I've read where you're at, TPD would probably use it as a fishing expedition to see just how many guns they could "get off the street," but I might be being overly harsh in that assessment. OTOH, in my current home of Jacksonville, FL they'd only likely be interested the specific firearm used - period. And unless there was some question as to the legality of the shooting, I'd see it back within days at the most.
tommcnaughton wrote:Actually, Dan already has a mouse gun. What he may need is a primary carry piece... :D
Ouch!
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: A Second gun?

Post by TunnelRat »

doc832 wrote:I have shot 3 people in my line of work and never fired more than 2 rounds.
Three people with two rounds? Two guys musta been standing very close... 8)
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: A Second gun?

Post by NavyChief »

doc832 wrote:I have shot 3 people in my line of work...
Just curious - what is your line of work?