bit by the BUG

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

Don't think I even wanna touch that one.lol

But go ahead blow me outta the water.
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

GWC wrote:Every cop I know carries two guns. So do most tactical instructors. No matter how good of a gun you carry, something can go wrong or you can become disarmed. If you are struggling over one gun with a BG, you can draw your BUG and keep yourself alive. Its usually faster to pull another gun than it is to change mags.

I think the potential advantages of a BUG far outwiegh the potential disadvantages.
This mirrors my thoughts very well. And even if my gun never malfunctions, it's apart often enough. Granted mostly at home and I live in a much "nicer" area than I work in. But it's not about the likelihood to me, but still.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

It is just a personal opinion but I would never carry a second gun on my person. I carry a good knife, a flashlight and a cell phone, along with my weapon, and the load is getting a bit much already. As of late I have been thinking about OC spray also. I am aware the issue has been beat to death but we do not put ourselves into the thick of things like an
LEO everyday. We by law are required to aviod confrontations if at all possible.YMMV
Never Have So Many Owed So Much To So Few.
GWC

Post by GWC »

Wayne,

Yep, the weight is starting to add up. When I carry (which is rare because I still haven't gotten around to applying for the CHL, however, I used to carry frequently under the old law) I either have two P239s or one P239 and a S&W airweight bodyguard. I have one or two knives on me always, plus OC and a tac light in my jacket. Last night my New Year's host picked up my jacket and said "wow, that's pretty heavy" and I just laughed and said "yeah, and that's without a gun".

If I need to check out a noise at home (I live in a rural area) I always slip a second gun in my back pocket.

If the weight starts to get to me, I'll carry two lighter guns. Several years ago when my work put me out in the worst neighborhoods in Cleveland at crime scenes in the middle of the night, I sometimes carried two Beretta Tomcats because they were light to carry. Before that I carried two S&W 9mm, a 669 and a 6904.

I was often asked if I was armed by cops, but I always replied " But officer, that would be illegal" which kept me from lying AND kept me from answering their question. Apparently they never made me or they did not care.

It is true that we are required to avoid confrontations. It is also true that all citizens are legally empowered to arrest anyone that commits a felony in our presence. It is usually not a good idea to make a citizen's arrest, but there are times when it is the best, or the only, option.
Mark

Post by Mark »

GWC wrote:Knives, OC and two guns. Don't forget to tac light.
And a cell phone.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Aaaah, that's better.

Anybody know of any good shoulder harnesses for double PPK/Thunder 380's?
GWC

Post by GWC »

Nice pair Dan
MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MeanStreaker »

There are a lot of good thoughts in this thread concerning the pros/cons of carrying a BUG. I don't do it as of yet due to the "in plain sight" requirements, but think I may start.

My main motivation for carrying a BUG hasn't been mentioned yet in that if the situation arises, I could give my BUG to someone that I trust to help alleviate the situation. I know this could possibly open me up to a lot of hassles (won't even go into that), but I figure that if I'm really in a life or death situation, I'd like to have some help. The only people that I can think of right now that I would trust their firearm skills to my BUG would be my father and wife. (Still trying to get the wife to het her CHL).

I've also considered the scenario of being involved in something terrible and needing to stay at the scene for whatever reason and being able to hand my BUG to my wife and say, "Run and find cover!" or "Go find the cops!" or something.

I think the odds of being in a situation which I would need a BUG are vastly smaller than a situation in which it would help to arm someone I trust.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

MeanStreaker wrote:I could give my BUG to someone that I trust to help alleviate the situation.
Hmmm, interesting concept...
One that I hadn't considered.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Me neither. But quite realistic as most of the people I hang around are either into guns or getting there. Including some CCW'ers. It will also help for the uninitiated as I drag them to the range. I can unload both and let them "follow along" as I teach them basic safety and operation. Or on the range, we can each use one.

Which brings up a side note. I know a couple people with CCW's that are considering a Thunder 380 for their carry piece. Being that they are licensed (and therefore capable of owning), would I be able to lend them one of mine for a day or two to test carry? And if the answer is no, would it be different if I didn't give them any ammo to go with it?
GWC

Post by GWC »

Dan,

You can always lend your own private property to someone. There are some states where that would be a crime (NY, Cal. probably a few others), but its fine in Ohio.

You should be sure they can legally possess a firearm, but If they can, lend away. I have both borrowed and lent guns before. There are no laws in this state to prohibit it.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Cool. Yes, the friend has both bought firearms here in Ohio and is licensed. He'll be happy to know he can test drive a Bersa.