What I carry -

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

What I carry -

Post by NavyChief »

What I carry –

- and why. At our “Meet’n’greet” at the Middletown Golden Corral Tuesday 12/27 Knip007 asked me what I carry. – and when I carry. What prompted the question was that as he looked at me, based on my attire, he didn’t really see where I’d have anything squirreled away. To answer the latter question first, always – within the bounds of the law. While I answered his question, I perhaps didn’t elaborate all that much. Permit me to do so now.

What I normally carry is a Kel-Tec P-32. But that’s not really a complete answer. I also normally have a Cold Steel 6” Voyager and a ½ oz. canister of FoxLabs OC on me. My normal “outfitting” has the P-32 in an Uncle Mike’s #3 pocket holster in my right front pants pocket, the Voyager in my right hip pocket, and the OC in either my left front pants pocket or left jacket pocket.

Now I’ll explain my reasoning. First off, yes, I know – a .32ACP is a pretty anemic little round. And the P-32 is not going to be the least bit useful, accuracy-wise, beyond a few yards. I call it my “Get off me!!” gun. It’s main redeeming feature is it is a gun. That I have on me. All the time. It is just so easy to slip that little thing in my pocket no matter how I’m dressed. Nonetheless, I’m not kidding myself. It’s a last resort. And it’s probably only going to buy me some time – I don’t believe that it’s going to be a “fight stopper” – although you never know. At least if I have to use it, the goblin might have the decency to recognize he’s been shot and behave accordingly. The K-T is basically my last line of defense.

The Voyager. Because of my habits, lifestyle, whatever you want to call it, I generally figure I’m more likely to fall prey to a canine predator than a two-legged goblin. While I’ve not practiced deploying it while grappling (I really should – and it’s on the “to do” list), I feel reasonably confident of being able to bring it into play should the need arise. There are those that feel working a dog with “hand tools” is a bit foolhardy. Regretfully, I agree. How-some-ever, I’m usually in a densely populated residential area. In a dog attack scenario I figure I’m going to be getting yanked to and fro something fierce. Do I really know where my muzzle is going to be pointed any given instant? Maybe, maybe not. But that’s all I need is having a stray round go through little Timmy’s or Suzy’s bedroom wall. Nope. Don’t need that on my conscience – I’ll take my chances. The Voyager is my intermediate line of defense.

Our friend, pepper spray. What wonderful stuff. Does it work on everybody. Pretty much, yes. Of course, that too must be qualified. It’s physiological effects are fairly consistent, but folk’s reaction to those effects vary. Safety Guy has pointed out that he can, and does regularly, demonstrate his ability to “fight through” the effects of OC. (Interestingly, that’s part of the reason LEOs must be sprayed with it before they’re allowed to carry it. A study in Minnesota (IIRC) showed that when officers were sprayed the first time, their weapon retention was a dismal 15% - second time through it was reversed, weapon retention rose to about 85%. In the Navy we now expect graduates of our security training to get sprayed, then knee a target, followed by drawing their weapon.) So I don’t count on OC being a show stopper. But, again, it oughta buy me a few precious seconds, whether it’s a two- or four-legged predator. My OC is my first line of defense.

So, there ya’ have it. What the Chief carries and why. Should you do the same? Probably not. What you should do though is put that much thought into it. What I’ve just described was not my tool belt as recently as six months ago. And in another six months it may well have changed again. My ideal would be a twenty-round capacity .45ACP index finger – on both hands! That ain’t gonna happen, so in the mean time I’ll keep trying different things.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Brian D.

Hello NC and the Admiral!

Post by Brian D. »

Well, at least you were in a fairly safe environment for a few hours last night. SOME of us were putting a more significant loadout on the belt while there, from more than just the chow..If there was ever a good time and place to have a wee little mouse gun as primary carry, it was 12/27/05 @ 18:00 hours, Middletown Golden Corral! (Btw NC what's 18:00 in "ship's bells", anyhow? Never could get that straight.)

When limited to a pocket carry handgun, or using it for backup, I've long favored some variety of the S&W Chief's Special; it boggles the mind that you don't pick something so aptly named! :wink: Don't wish to bore anybody if this is a rerun, but my J-frame preference is the .38 Airweight I fitted up with a 9mm cylinder. (It sees very little use of full-power ammo, I'm not that nuts. Practice is done with reduced power reloads.) The more conventional J's are certainly good too.

Had the KelTec P32 for a spell, used it in the role described above. (Come to think of it I've owned two of them over a period of a few years.)When practicing, kept figuring out that I just shot the little revolver better, especially when doing drills weak hand only. Also, the KTs had a habit of malfunctioning every so often; this was not acceptable.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Well, as pointed out in my last lines, things change. Current plan is to probably get a 3" Model 60 in .357. That can then be relegated to the wife's "nightstand gun" and I'll probably start carrying her 642LS on a regular basis. (That's actually what the money I spent on that spiffy little camera for her was being saved for - oh, well. The look on her face when she opened it was well worth it, so absolutely no regrets. She thought it was going to be an assisted-opening knife such as one of the Kershaw Onions. Dunno where she got an idea like that... Of course, if she actually gets her CWL in February, other options will have to be explored.

Oh - 1800 would be 4 bells. It goes in four-hour rotations:
1200 - 8 bells
1300 - 2 bells
1400 - 4 bells
1500 - 6 bells
1600 - 8 bells
...repeat...
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

38 Airweight I fitted up with a 9mm cylinder.
Explain! You converted a .38 to 9mm? That sounds interesting.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Cruiser, I had a pistolsmith/armorer get me a 9mm cylinder from Smith and Wesson. (Likely they wouldn't have sold such a part to just anybody, certainly not me.) Remember, S&W used to make a J-frame in 9mm parabellum, it was called the mod. 940. So apparently they had some replacement cylinders around, the 'smith had no trouble buying one.

Then I fitted it up to a brushed nickel Model 37. Boy, was it oversized in some dimensions, I wouldn't recommend this job unless you have some patience and skill. Anyhow, after getting the cylinder fit up I was the proud owner of an Airweight 9mm, which could be still be switched back to .38 Special of course.

Surprisingly it shoots well. Some folks have asked if the 9mm bullets grab the rifling in a.38 Special barrel; apparently the .001 (or so) difference isn't a problem. In fact I suspect that S&W may well have just changed the markings and used the same exact barrel in their Model 940s as their .38 Spec. J-frames--but I've never checked up on that theory.

Sure is nice to be able to tote such a light gun, and carry those 5 shot moon clips for spare ammo instead of speedloaders or speedstrips.

As mentioned since the 9mm para is a rather high pressure cartridge I practice with reduced power reloads. Of course wheelful or two of +P factory JHPs have been tried out, just to make sure the gun wouldn't bind up or something.

Hope that answers your questions Cruiser. In hindsight this project gun was just easier to do at the time, than find a genuine Model 940. Sometimes they get pretty scarce. By the way, I call my cobbled-together revolver a "Model 937"--funny ain't I? :wink:

********************************************************************************
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sorry about the "stutter", think the trouble's NOT in my computer for a change! Poor ol' KenPPC just sent me the same PM about six times, and I betcha I replied more than once without wanting to.

What's a "DEBUG MODE" message mean, anyhow?

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Brian D
That was very interesting, I had hear that 9mm revolvers existed, never heard of someone building one.
Thanks
Whittey

Post by Whittey »

Taurus makes a 9mm revolver as well. I'm interested in buying one, but current ammo costs are keepin me down (1900 rounds of .40 in 3 weeks during the xmas season).

-=Whittey=-
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

Well as to last night I was carrying a chrome finish Browning HP, a spare mag, 2 surefires, a spyderco, & a gerber, & kubeton. & a CAR 15 in the trunk.
Recently purchased a Taurus 9mm wheelgun, stainless, but only bought it to do some testing, it will not likey be around long.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Mad Duck -
What's amusing is that people think the smaller you are, the harder it is to pack. Oddly, I've found the opposite to be true. Providing I've the right holster/cover garment combination, I have no problem carrying a similar load out...
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

As far as my CCW choice last night, it was a Springfield 1911, Ltwt. Gov't size. (Somebody in the group accidentally brushed against it during the evening--normally that's upsetting but in this case just made me grin!) Two spare mags and a TDI Ka Bar knife were also on the belt. A Surefire 6P was in my jacket, a CRKT Mirage clipped to a front pants pocket.

The two knife thing is new for me, dunno if that will continue. Interesting that probably many of us are continually experimenting with the safety gear, even if we've carried for a l-o-n-g time.

dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Two question, both of which might very well command their own thread, so please forgive and jacking-like appearances...

1 - I've considered carrying a 2nd gun. My biggest concern (by way of forethought anyways) is the plain site rule. Tucking for one is tedious enough. I'd rather not look like a Transformer just because I'm about to drive. Especially considering how many times I enter and exit my car in any given day (about 30 times today alone).

2 - Spray. I've never even given it a thought until I came here. I've had my share of run ins with dogs and it would be nice to have something else to instinctively reach for than a gun. But I know nothing about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it have to make contact with the eyes to be effective? Or does it also infect the respiratory system?
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

Navy Chief
We found it amusing in some of the larger classes, we would not have any
guns on the training table except for a 22 single action.
I would ask the other instructors where the firearms were & they would shrug their shoulders, & say they forgot.
I would then proceed to draw from cover, a 1911 goverment, Sig 226, XD9, S&W Mod 10 4 in. heavy barrel, A BHP, Astra A-70, NAA 22, & S&W 640. Most of the students figured I was carrying one gun, because I was the Instructor, but none of them spotted them. Of course I must admit, I didn't want to have to bend over, & sitting was not comfortable. All under a photo vest. The 1911 was in a vert. Shoulder holster, The Sig & XD in a belly band, BHP in a reversed galco paddle, weak side, Astra & Mod 10 shoved in back kidney carry, 640 & NAA in a fanny pack, & another HP strong side in Wild Bills Paddle.
oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by oldmic »

I was carrying a Sig 239 9mm in a Milt Sparks OWB holster, and a Spyderco.

FWIW, I didn't notice any printing or evidence that anyone else in the room was carrying - other than indicators like a shirt with NRA patches or the photographer vest - or my fleece vest (and TDI hat), something that only a CHL holder would take a second glance at.
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

dan_sayers wrote:Two question, both of which might very well command their own thread, so please forgive and jacking-like appearances...

1 - I've considered carrying a 2nd gun. My biggest concern (by way of forethought anyways) is the plain site rule. Tucking for one is tedious enough. I'd rather not look like a Transformer just because I'm about to drive. Especially considering how many times I enter and exit my car in any given day (about 30 times today alone).

2 - Spray. I've never even given it a thought until I came here. I've had my share of run ins with dogs and it would be nice to have something else to instinctively reach for than a gun. But I know nothing about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it have to make contact with the eyes to be effective? Or does it also infect the respiratory system?
I use a military CS tear gas/OC combination (Sabre)-- CS will generally cause more vomiting and choking, as well as the watery eyes, burning, and respiratory symptoms than OC or CN (Mace). I have never taken a direct hit, but I did get a drop or two on my hand when a can started to leak one winter. Even though I washed right away and didn't touch my face, my eyes were quite watery and burned, I was coughing and my throat became irritated. I always carry a can on me. Usually I have another in the car, too. It's good stuff. Just be sure to buy the kind in the hard case if you are going to carry it in your pocket on a regular basis!