Left handed shooter, right eye dominant

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mark

Left handed shooter, right eye dominant

Post by Mark »

My buddy is left handed, but right hand dominant. When he shoots, he does so left handed, but uses his right eye to line up the sights. Should he be shooting right handed?
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

No not if it works.
a slight cant of about 10 degrees usually works for most cross dom. shooters.
I had one guy in his 40's that was right handed & Right eye dom.
But shortly before the class, he had lasik, & had become left eye dom.
Rather than trying to reteach all the mechanics to the left hand, with a 10 degree cant he was on target in minutes.
Don't fix what ain't broke
Mark

Post by Mark »

He not an experienced shooter. Doesn't have a CCW yet. We were talking about it at work last night and he rather likes GLOCKs. But he has a tendency to accidentally drop the magazine when his hand hits it.
GWC

Post by GWC »

He should do what works for him. He should definately use his dominant right eye, but if he is comfortable using his left hand with his right eye that's ok. He should try with his right hand to see if it works better, and also because everyone should learn to shoot with either hand.
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

I'm normally left eye dominant, but I have what my optometrist calls "intermittent, alternatating" issues with it. It really gives him fits during eye exams! When I shoot left-handed, I'm left-eye dominant, but when I shoot right-handed, I'm right-eye dominant. My prescription does not correct for this -- apparently my brain does. Some times it takes me a half second or so to get focused right (especially if I'm shooting strong side), but it seems to work ok for me. I can't imagine changing the way I shoot to fit my vision.

I think your buddy should do what works for him, and practice using both weak and strong hand/eye combinations. Eventually it'll become second nature.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. Unless you're talking about a firearm that you have to have against your face to sight (rifle, shotgun), it doesn't matter. Sights still line up and I could share with you several targets that show I'm plenty accurate for a newbie that is cross dominant.
impcmonk

Post by impcmonk »

dan_sayers wrote:I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. Unless you're talking about a firearm that you have to have against your face to sight (rifle, shotgun), it doesn't matter. Sights still line up and I could share with you several targets that show I'm plenty accurate for a newbie that is cross dominant.
I'm the same way Dan. It hasn't bothered me any. I've even won awards in the military.
Regulator2

Post by Regulator2 »

I also am the same way, LE Dom, RH Shooter

but have since learned to fire both left handed and right handed,
grew up shooting and hunting shooting right handed

have won several military matches shooting that way, shoot with State Rifle and Pistol Team for National Guard

and since coming off deployment know the need for shooting ambidextrously, can't ride TC seat (right seat) of a HMMV and shoot right handed...had to shoot left....or let my gunner do it,
but where's the fun in that.....

stay with it if it works for him
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on thier behalf --George Orwell

Regulator 2
518th Gun Truck Co, OIF Vet