COMBAT OR BULLS EYE SHOOTING

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

What do you think Combat or Bulls eye

Poll ended at Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:26 pm

Combat style is more important for CCW
90%
Bulls eye shooting is more important for CCW
7%
I don't know??
3%

Total votes: 30

NDN MAN

COMBAT OR BULLS EYE SHOOTING

Post by NDN MAN »

I have seen many posts on bulls eye accuracy but few on combat accuracy. I think each has a place in shooting. But for CCW I think combat course training is by far better for us . All thoughts, opinons and or other options are very welcome. Also any old handgun course ( pre FBI Q target ) LEO or other welcome. Thanks & stay safe
ArmorMax

Post by ArmorMax »

I highly regard combat training for a CCW holder. You never know when you will need to react. Another thing to consider when doing shooting at a range is try one handed and off handed. I have yet to try with my handgun, but then I have only had it for about two months.
GWC

Post by GWC »

Clearly combat shooting is much more relevant to CCW than Bullseye, since if you need to use your gun you will be combat shooting.

Bullseye shooting has its place for learning good marksmanship. The best shooters I know compete at the high end of formal NRA bullseye style matches. All of them have CHLs. If they were in a gunfight I seriously doubt they would use Bullseye tecniques.
jualdeaux

Post by jualdeaux »

I would have to say that both have their place. Bullseye shooting is important as it helps with general marksmanship. Stance, grip, follow through, trigger management, sight picture, etc. But, one also needs to learn combat shooting skills, preferrably under a bit of pressure as happens in competitions like IDPA.

So, getting good fundamental instruction in marksmanship, good instruction at a reputable place like TDI, and regular practice at a range and some other place where you can practice drawing from concealment, and other necessary skills, is a must.
Jronjakoh

Bullseye ot combat shooting

Post by Jronjakoh »

Bullseye is important to me if your in competition a lot.The more center shots the higher the score in the set amount of time.
As far as Combat. In my mind too many people think they can just pull the gun and the BG says " Ok don't shoot! I give up!"
But Not the case always. Sometimes he will think if he ducks behind a tree,counter,car,etc. he has a chance to shoot you and get away from
you before the cops get there.THAT'S where combat comes in. "GET DOWN! BEHIND SOMETHING!" That's the only chance of NOT becoming a statistic or should we say DEAD.
I think a lot of people watch a little too much TV. CSI shows Some reality but a lot of 'dhuhh.. I don't know about that' My favorite is 'Law and Order" but I disagree with some of the things McCoy does. He JUST ABOUT got his last week. Hope that changes him a bit.
Get the training people. You'll never know When it will come in Handy to save your or your(s) life one day.

Carry a Kahr! Carry a Glock! But Carry. Mine is a Mean Star
italian biker

combat shooting practice and scenario training

Post by italian biker »

I would love to get combat training, but in this area, there isn't anyone who teaches it to civilians. I was never in the armed forces, so I don't have that type of experience. I've played paintball a few times, but that doesn't train for real world scenario either.
PETA members know it's safer to harass old ladies wearing fur then to harass bikers wearing leather.
GWC

Post by GWC »

Italian Biker,

Check out TDI in south west Ohio. Definately worth the drive.

Great sig line, BTW.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

GWC wrote:Check out TDI in south west Ohio. Definately worth the drive.
Or the Duck down by Dayton -- a much shorter drive...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

I voted for "Combat." Having said that, as others have already pointed out, they both have their place.
italian biker wrote:I would love to get combat training, but in this area, there isn't anyone who teaches it to civilians.
Here's one thing you can do. No, it isn't real "combat training," but it'll help. Next time you have the range more or less to yourself, run in place for about 30 seconds, then drop down and pump out a quick 20-30 push-ups. Then jump up, draw, and put two rounds on each of 3-6 paper plates at 7 yards. If your range doesn't allow drawing/firing, leave your gun on the bench until you're ready to shoot.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

NavyChief wrote:Next time you have the range more or less to yourself, run in place for about 30 seconds, then drop down and pump out a quick 20-30 push-ups. Then jump up, draw, and put two rounds on each of 3-6 paper plates at 7 yards.
Yeah, you might want to pour some oil down your neck followed by about a pound of sand. Next put one foot in a bucket of ice and set the other one on fire. Have a friend hand you a cat and release two Dobermans on you. Now you are ready to draw and engage your targets... 8)

I've had enough of Combat, thank you. I think I'd rather take on the charging bull... :?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

WOWW TOM!! Talk about punishment!! lol
Think that is the worse I've ever heard outside of making the wife mad. :lol:

Carry a Kahr! Carry a Glock! But Carry. Mine's a Mean Star
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Jeez... What??? It was just a suggestion to get the ol' heartrate and respiration up a little bit. They have us do a 50yd sprint before they start the PACT on the "practical course." I just thought that might be impractical...
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
italian biker

tactical

Post by italian biker »

Tom,
I've never heard of all those complications in any real or training scenario. Although, my solution to this is, kick the ice on the fire, throw the cat a way, and as it runs, the dobermans will chase it, then I can draw, and fire, hit the target, and save the free world from tyranny.
PETA members know it's safer to harass old ladies wearing fur then to harass bikers wearing leather.
Regulator2

Post by Regulator2 »

I'd have to agree with Tom on this one.....

one thing I can tell you is to train correctly, repetition..make things an instinct / a habit, but the correct habits....because that is exactly how you will react in a pressure situation

with the radio blaring, people screaming, things blowing up around you, when you hear bullets bouncing off of things very near to your person, you don't have time to think about it, you just react

so learn to shoot from uncomfortable positions...kneeling, standing, off hand, even prone, you may not be able to do this at your local range so make sure you ask before you drop into the prone to crack off a few

or react and get yourself confortable before you take the shot, gain those few steps to gather yourself between you and your attacker

just remember even the most cautious of us get caught off guard

so you want to be ready for it, one thing I can say for my deployment is that I am now an avid off hand shooter....
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on thier behalf --George Orwell

Regulator 2
518th Gun Truck Co, OIF Vet
Regulator2

Post by Regulator2 »

and if possible use cover,

learn to shoot from whatever is available to you, drop behind a tree if outdoors, fence post, edge of building, barricade...

when shooting with the State team, and at the Winston P. Wilson Matches (National Level)

we shoot a Patton Match, run 2 miles in full gear before firing

then we shoot off hand, behind barricade, prone, etc

it's quite challenging
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on thier behalf --George Orwell

Regulator 2
518th Gun Truck Co, OIF Vet