From the USCCA Newsletter

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

Just a quick note, this was sent to me by USCCA, This did NOT happen to me, There are no holes in The Duck, I posted it in the interest of all those that handle guns, for the entire story see www.thegunzone.com

Remember they are always loaded:
Well....I've always heard it's not a matter of "if, but "when".

My number came up and I paid a hefty price. Last Friday I was
preparing to go shooting the next AM with a buddy of mine.I had
just put a new a-grip on my Glock, and was going to clean it
after my wife and I finished our movie. Crash is an awsome
movie BTW. I put the weapon back together and inserted the mag.
I did not pipe a round because I knew I was going to strip it
later. I went upstairs and put the weapon in the tool box
in the garage.

About and hour later (mid-night or so), I returned to the garage
to finish cleaning and getting gear together for the morning. I
picked up the Glock, dropped the mag and prepared to remove the
slide. I done this literally thousands of times in the last
fifteen years, but this times things were a little different.
I grabbed the slide getting ready to push the take own pins
and pulled the trigger......BANG!!!!!

Apparently I DID pipe a round an hour prior. My shooting bud
attributes it to force of habit, but why the hell didn't I check
the chamber before pulling the trigger? Should that be force of
habit too? Not only did I set off a .45 in my garage, but it
passed right through my left hand......Yep....I *******ing shot
myself point blank. I'm still having a hard time getting my head
around what I did. I was SO angry at myself.

I have always been uber safe with any firearm, but one lack of
procedure changed everything. I'm really taking this hard, and
all the "it could have been worse", "accidents happen", and
"thank god you didn't lose your hand statements really don't
help. I guess I'm getting over it, but it still seems very surreal
to me.

Here are details....I know you all are morbidly curious, and I
don't mind telling...it's kinda like therapy for me. I DID NOT hear
the shot (nor did my ears ring afterwards), and it felt sorta like
catching a fastball right in the palm of your glove. I have a very
clear image, and suspect I always will, of the hole in my hand...
perfect .45 diameter not bleeding....yet. I took a few seconds, and
then the arterial arch in my palm cut loose. Blood like you
wouldn't believe.

I think the fact that I was a Paramedic in a former life helped
me out here. I walked into the laundry room and grabbed a towel to
wrap it up, call up the stairs for my wife to come down. I
remember thinking "if I go get her, I'll mess up the carpet
on the stairs". No lie.

She came down half asleep and kind of grumpy, and I told her
"I just put a bullet in my hand". Said she was calling 911 and
according to her I responded "That would be a good idea.." My wife
is neo-natal RN, and can remain cool as a cucumber. This helped
me out too I think.

I went back into the garage, put my blasted hand on the floor
kneeling on the towel and proceeded to open my ever present
jump-bag with the other.

I opened a US issue trauma dressing with my teeth, and proceeded
to wrap my hand. Those dressing are the schiz nit by the way. My
wife later told me it was very "Die-Haredesque"......I do remember
cussing at myself the entire time...I have never been that
angry before.....

Four cops, the shift sup., a pumper truck and an ambulance later
I was off to the ER. I didn't feel any pain until I got in the
ambulance. The endorphins shut down and it hurt like nothing you
can imagine. No tickets from the cops, but did have to ask which
weapon I did it with. My garage looks like an arsenal pre-range trip.

The bullet (a Black Talon no less..) shattered my ring finger
meta-tarsal, and 'removed' two others. It destroyed the flexor
tendon of my ring finger, almost separated my pinky tendon, and
exited the right side of my wrist just above my watch band. There
was a definite exit hole, but the blast force blew the side of my
palm WIDE open about three inches in length. I didn't even see the
exit wound until I removed my watch for the FD.

Anyway, nine hours of surgery, three screws, a tendon graft from
my forearm and about two-hundred sutures later I was put back together.
My surgeon said if anyone has to get shot in the hand, this was how
to do it. No nerve damage....whew.

Physical therapy twice a week for God knows how long, and the surgeon
expects at least 80% function back.
Last edited by Mad Duck on Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ballistic

Post by ballistic »

And as an extra added attraction, www.thegunzone.com has this same story complete with after-surgery pictures of the guy's hand (several views, too!). You can pretty much imagine what the hand looked like before medical treatment. Not to be flippant, but this is the benefit of learning from other people's mistakes.
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

My brother has had TWO ND's with his Glock. Thankfully no one was hurt (he never cleans his guns when anyone is home). The first time, he shot through his bedroom wall, and the second time he shot through a picture of his daughter. A sobering thought to say the least. His was pulling the trigger to verify that the chamber was empty, he explained. He was a deputy sheriff for 20 years, and worked in corrections and security for 10 years before that. He's 20 years older than I am, but I had to have a talk with him about gun safety.

After shooting, I tend to leave those particular guns empty until they are cleaned. I check them at the range (that's when I pull the trigger, pointed downrange), and two or three times before cleaning them. I check them both visually and by touch. You can never be too careful. ND's and stupid stuff happens, even to folks that know better. I think it's hearing stories like this that cause us to not be TOO comfortable around guns...there is a lot to be said for situational awareness, even when you're just cleaning your weapon!
mtbrass

Post by mtbrass »

Complacency can be the bane of us all. I handle guns everyday and NEVER pick one up, or amhanded one without checking it - ever.
Jesus hisownself could hand me a gun and tell me it's unloaded and I'd STILL check it!
I do not subscribe to the 'accidental discharge' BS...it's a negligent discharge...period. Just my .02!
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

charles1198 wrote:ND's and stupid stuff happens, even to folks that know better.
Especially to folks who know better... :?
mtbrass wrote:Jesus hisownself could hand me a gun and tell me it's unloaded and I'd STILL check it!

As He would expect you to do... :D
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

What's an ND? D = discharge I'm assuming...

No such things as too safe. I was trained to be too safe and it really hit home for me at Cleland's. "Can I see that one there?" Not before they drop the mag and ensure there's nothing in the chamber. First time I saw that, I couldn't help but think that there's never live ammo at that point and it was put away empty. But no such things as too safe.

Not to bash Glocks as I respect them well enough, but that's one of the many reasons I don't think I'd want to have a hammerless gun. Even a friend of mine that was with me when I was shopping observed that I appeared to be obsessed with chamber indicators.
AkronGuy32

Post by AkronGuy32 »

Negligent Discharge, it's the proper terminology, rather than AD, Accidental Discharge
NRA Life Member

The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

dan_sayers wrote:...it really hit home for me at Cleland's. "Can I see that one there?" Not before they drop the mag and ensure there's nothing in the chamber. First time I saw that, I couldn't help but think that there's never live ammo at that point and it was put away empty.
Below are words to live by. Some are familiar with the good Colonel. The firearms community owes him much...
Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

There are no exceptions. Do not pretend that this is true. Some people and organizations take this rule and weaken it;e.g. "Treat all guns as if they were loaded." Unfortunately, the "as if" compromises the directness of the statement by implying that they are unloaded, but we will treat them as though they are loaded. No good! Safety rules must be worded forcefully so that they are never treated lightly or reduced to partial compliance.

All guns are always loaded - period!

This must be your mind-set. If someone hands you a firearm and says, "Don't worry, it's not loaded," you do not dare believe him. You need not be impolite, but check it yourself. Remember, there are no accidents, only negligent acts. Check it. Do not let yourself fall prey to a situation where you might feel compelled to squeal, "I didn't know it was loaded!"

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

Conspicuously and continuously violated, especially with pistols, Rule II applies whether you are involved in range practice, daily carry, or examination. If the weapon is assembled and in someone's hands, it is capable of being discharged. A firearm holstered properly, lying on a table, or placed in a scabbard is of no danger to anyone. Only when handled is there a need for concern. This rule applies to fighting as well as to daily handling. If you are not willing to take a human life, do not cover a person with the muzzle. This rule also applies to your own person. Do not allow the muzzle to cover your extremities, e.g. using both hands to reholster the pistol. This practice is unsound, both procedurally and tactically. You may need a free hand for something important. Proper holster design should provide for one-handed holstering, so avoid holsters which collapse after withdrawing the pistol. (Note: It is dangerous to push the muzzle against the inside edge of the holster nearest the body to "open" it since this results in your pointing the pistol at your midsection.) Dry-practice in the home is a worthwhile habit and it will result in more deeply programmed reflexes. Most of the reflexes involved in the Modern Technique do not require that a shot be fired. Particular procedures for dry-firing in the home will be covered later. Let it suffice for now that you do not dry-fire using a "target" that you wish not to see destroyed. (Recall RULE I as well.)

Rule III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule III is violated most anytime the uneducated person handles a firearm. Whether on TV, in the theaters, or at the range, people seem fascinated with having their finger on the trigger. Never stand or walk around with your finger on the trigger. It is unprofessional, dangerous, and, perhaps most damaging to the psyche, it is klutzy looking. Never fire a shot unless the sights are superimposed on the target and you have made a conscious decision to fire. Firing an unaligned pistol in a fight gains nothing. If you believe that the defensive pistol is only an intimidation tool - not something to be used - carry blanks, or better yet, reevaluate having one around. If you are going to launch a projectile, it had best be directed purposely. Danger abounds if you allow your finger to dawdle inside the trigger guard. As soon as the sights leave the target, the trigger-finger leaves the trigger and straightens alongside the frame. Since the hand normally prefers to work as a unit - as in grasping - separating the function of the trigger-finger from the rest of the hand takes effort. The five-finger grasp is a deeply programmed reflex. Under sufficient stress, and with the finger already placed on the trigger, an unexpected movement, misstep or surprise could result in a negligent discharge. Speed cannot be gained from such a premature placement of the trigger-finger. Bringing the sights to bear on the target, whether from the holster or the Guard Position, takes more time than that required for moving the trigger finger an inch or so to the trigger.

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

Know what it is, what is in line with it, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything you have not positively identified. Be aware of your surroundings, whether on the range or in a fight. Do not assume anything. Know what you are doing.

SUMMARY:

Make these rules a part of your character. Never compromise them. Improper gunhandling results from ignorance and improper role modeling, such as handling your gun like your favorite actor does. Education can cure this. You can make a difference by following these gunhandling rules and insisting that those around you do the same. Set the example. Who knows what tragedies you, or someone you influence, may prevent?
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Thanky, Chief, always nice to see Cooper's rules in print.

[We oughta make this a "sticky".]
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

And counting... :?
TunnelRat

ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

dan_sayers wrote:Even a friend of mine that was with me when I was shopping observed that I appeared to be obsessed with chamber indicators.
See Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety rule #1
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

dan_sayers wrote:Even a friend of mine that was with me when I was shopping observed that I appeared to be obsessed with chamber indicators.
Several of my handguns have loaded chamber indicators. I never use them.

I check every handgun every time I handle it. I do not trust my safety to mechanical devices. Whether it's the Kahr's loaded chamber indicator or the 1911's thumb and grip safeties, it is my own personal awareness and caution that I rely on.
TunnelRat

NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

tommcnaughton wrote:Thanky, Chief, always nice to see Cooper's rules in print.

[We oughta make this a "sticky".]
Done.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

There has recently been a second guy telling his story about an ND with a S&W 99 see the The Gun Zone.
He was taking the slide off when he discharged his firearm