Steel Targets

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

357sigsauer

Steel Targets

Post by 357sigsauer »

I am looking to build some steel pistol targets. Can anyone give specifications of what type of steel to use ( i. e. cold rolled, hot rolled, etc.) and how thick the material should be? All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance!
SigSauer P226 357sig

I don't need a gun I've got a Donk. -- Crocodile Dundee II
Engineer Bill

Post by Engineer Bill »

If your only shooting pistol with calibers between 9mm, 38/357, 41, 44, and 45 you should use a steel plate with a birnell hardness of >230 and 3/8" thick or greater. If shooting rifle of 223, 308 and up you should use a plate with a birnell hardness of >500 and at no less than 3/8" thick. Rim fire you can use a plate of 230 birnell and 3/16" to 1/4"
Engineer Bill
Life/Benefactor NRA member, NRA Training Counselor, NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Recruiter; NRA RTBAV Instructor, OFCC member, Varmint Hunters Association member
SOLOLUCKY
*** Banned ***

Post by SOLOLUCKY »

357SIG,
Here is what i made my targets out of.
i shoot 9mm, 38, 357, 45 at'em (7.62X39,sks, seemed too much for a few)

1. rolled up motorcycle chain, takes handgun rounds with impunity. eats'em up! in the spring ya can get'em from yer local MC shop. With all the people bringing out there bikes the shop will give ya the old junky ones free.
2. 6"x6" 1/4" pl. was kinda heavy so i welded and outrigger to the front to help give it some weight to let it swing easier.
3. desk drawer dividers (from werk) layer them a minimum of 2 leayers thick, screw them to wood 2x4's or 4x4's for solid backing. they take a lot of rounds before ya finally poke thru it then ya end up chewing up the wood and hafta replace it but it'll take several hundred rounds before its destruction.
4. chain, heavy chain laced together to make a shape. again it eats bullets and it almost indestructible

all these are hung about 14 inches from a 1/2" rebar 10' long. i used fence posts with 1/2" holes drilled in'em then planted the fence posts.
feed the 1/2" rebar thru holes to span between posts.
they sit about 24" above the ground so all shots are basically downhill.
it has werked great for me and ive shot the heck out it.
man from nowhere
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

1. rolled up motorcycle chain, takes handgun rounds with impunity. eats'em up! in the spring ya can get'em from yer local MC shop. With all the people bringing out there bikes the shop will give ya the old junky ones free.
Explain? Rolled up? How do you hold it together? Swing free or attached to board?
Thanks
SOLOLUCKY
*** Banned ***

Post by SOLOLUCKY »

mc chain will only roll one way...like a coil.
then i fed 1/8" rods thru the links 2 ways forming a cross in the center with the rods. these keep the chain from unwrapping or "slinkying" out.
left a tail of chain about 12" long and welded a flat washer to the end.
the flat washer is the pivot and it slides over the 1/2" rebar.
so it swings.
i have a mig welder, so i welded the chain together in spots for extra strength.
then when the rounds hit it they 'kinda' penetrate but the steel just mangkes the left round, eats jacketted rounds also.
man from nowhere
SOLOLUCKY
*** Banned ***

Post by SOLOLUCKY »

oops fat fingers....it "mangles the lead round and eats jacketted rounds too"
man from nowhere