When to leave a gun range?

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

When to leave a gun range?

Post by rimfireOH »

I'm an annual member at my nearest indoor shooting range. I get my money's worth by going a few times a month or more. I like being out of the rain and snow. I like being able to just show up, get a lane and shoot without feeling like I need to stay longer to get my money's worth.
Are there things I'd like to see changed? Certainly: warmer (in the winter), cleaner (air, mostly) and safer.

For the times when I've been present:
  • There is always an employee at the desk.
  • I have never seen an employee station themselves at the lanes.
  • There are cameras at the lanes and some of them point in the right directions.
  • Sometimes the employee(s) at the front are able to watch the camera display.
  • Occasionally, an employee will walk back to the lanes and walk through (behind the shooters!), but not often.
  • More frequently, when there are two employees working, one will walk back and loose a few rounds at an empty target holder from time to time.
  • A guaranteed way to get some attention is to empty a magazine in a hurry. (Someone always walks back when that happens!)
  • When there is only one employee, I've never had a visit to the lanes (they stay at the desk).
Recently, I found these two items of note on the back wall:
Image Image
Since I wasn't present when those two holes were created, it's tough to say what I would have done.
  • Taken a moment for a quick review of NRA's Three Safety Rules?
  • Dropped and taken cover?
  • Calmly packed up and left? (stopping to talk to the front desk)
  • Or, as an acquaintance said, "run out with my butt on fire and yelled something to the guys on the way out the front door"
I think it would depend on how the shooter(s) were behaving.

I did show the two photos to the fellows at the front desk and one went back to investigate, but I didn't really get a sense for how it might be prevented in the future.

And now that my partner and I made it home safely, here are the questions:
  1. Do I let the remaining two weeks on my membership expire and never go back?
  2. Do I write a letter to the owners, enclose my photos and explain why I'm not renewing?
  3. Do I write a letter, enclose the photos, ask for a response and wait for an answer?
  4. Am I over-reacting and I should just keep an extra eye open when others are also at the range?
I'm not certain I ever thought about not having an RSO present until that day. I had always been in favor of self-policing on the range, but perhaps RSOs are actually needed? A quick search of the surrounding known ranges doesn't come up with any hits for RSOs. I'm guessing that having one shifts liability somewhat and probably increases range fees.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: When to leave a gun range?

Post by evan price »

I would use a combination of B and C. Basically what you've done here in this post. Be respectful and start factual and regret that it has come to this.
Let us know what happens. Good luck.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

rimfireOH wrote: ...Do I let the remaining two weeks on my membership expire and never go back?
Do I write a letter to the owners, enclose my photos and explain why I'm not renewing?...
I'd do the above. Then don't go back.
I don't like to shoot at public ranges. ANYONE can walk in, load a firearm, and start launching bullets! There level of training/competance/safety is UNKNOWN.

I'm a member of West Branch Rifle & Pistol club, a private club. After membership approval,you MUST attend a 1 hour safety class, and take a written test to activate your membership. At least that is SOMETHING to give EVERYONE a MINIMUM level of firearms safety/handling experience! That is more than people have at public ranges!!

Join a private club.

Best regards.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
robbo

Post by robbo »

Im always hesitant to shoot at the indoor range in my area. They pack too many people onto each bay and like was stated, you dont know whos in there shooting and anything about their experience/safety level. I dont even go into the place if the parking lot is even slightly crowded.
Too bad its the only place I have to practice.
Im hoping a couple private clubs pop up since concealed carry owners are growing.
There should be zero tolerance for bullet holes in anything but the target or a lifetime ban should be strictly enforced if not some type of legal action taken against the idiot that put holes in the walls.
Luv2Camp

Post by Luv2Camp »

I will leave the range name out as they did address this individual after I spoke with them but was shooting with my two sons a few weeks ago and while I am up at the line, I turn around to see this guy standing behind us at the table racking a round into his chamber while the barrel was pointed at one of my sons. I corrected the individual but he just could not see what the problem was handling and loading the firearm behind all of us. Lack of common sense.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

The last time I was at an indoor gun range, there was a RSO there, but he had stepped over briefly to the other range for a short time, and that's when an inadvertent discharge happened. Although the person who did it signed a paper acknowledged what the safety rules were, he hadn't actually been shooting long enough to get them ingrained in their actual application I guess. Fortunately no one got hurt in that situation. If the RSO had been there the discharge would've still happened. Thankfully it usually takes more than one of the rules being violated before anyone gets hurt. I've been fortunate I guess that I've never had a negligent discharge in almost fifty years of gun use. I've seen plenty of new shooters over the years that can recite the safety rules, but when it comes to actually putting them into practice don't do it all the time. Most of the time they don't even realize it until someone else (usually the person to whom the barrel is heading towards :o ) calls them out for it. They have to be religiously (can I use that word here?) practiced until it's almost rote or automatic in order to ensure the most safety.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

And no matter who you are, if someone corrects you on one of those 4 rules do NOT get angry with them. They aren't doing it to aggravate you or cause trouble. Instead thank them. They could very well have saved you a good chunk of money, some jail time, and most important of all a guilty conscience over something you might not be able to undo or fix.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Greenleaf4902

Post by Greenleaf4902 »

Indoor range? Folks walk behind the shooters?
Not following you on this. If I read that correctly you are not permitted to walk inside an indoor range?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Greenleaf4902 wrote:Indoor range? Folks walk behind the shooters?
Not following you on this. If I read that correctly you are not permitted to walk inside an indoor range?
Shooters are apparently stepping back from the firing line to grab more ammo or whatever and then loading up while still back there. Then walk forward with a loaded gun pointed somewhere other than directly downrange. I used to see tables placed by the back, uprange wall in some facilities, that has been done away with at most all of them for the reasons stated. Some people seem to have to bring their gun to the ammunition rather than leaving the firearm the shelf in the booth and fetching more boolits.

The reasons not to do that should be understood after ONE and ONLY ONE explanation.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

I'm not sure what part of NE Ohio you're in but, check out select fire on Bagley Rd in Berea if you really want an indoor range... If it's not to far check out Erie County Conservation League... Private clubs are generally better but, I had to get all over a guy at the club last year for handling a loaded gun while I was down range, I am not sure how I kept it together as much as I did but, I really embarrassed him, hopefully it taught him a lesson.... With that said, it's much better than public ranges, like someone above said we have a 1 hour safety training at least... Plus you get a badge and you can access the range every day of the year with your access badge. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in ECCL, its $225 your first year and $125 a year after that.

I once told a guy that if he pointed his gun at me again I would assume he was trying to shoot me and would respond with appropriate force.... There is no excuse for making a mistake handling guns, I have zero tolerance for it...
-Aaron
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Brian D. wrote:Shooters are apparently stepping back from the firing line to grab more ammo or whatever and then loading up while still back there.
Yes, Brian, I believe that pretty well sums up the situation.

I have since started frequenting Point Blank in Mentor and found their range to be well-lit, well-ventilated, temperature-controlled and, most importantly, well-monitored by their RSOs. It's not too much further away than the place with the holes in the back walls and I think I can keep the price comparable if I pay attention.

Imcrazy, the ECCL indeed looks fantastic! It's a little outside my ideal radius, but it's something to consider. And I'll add Select Fire to my list to visit.

Thank you, all.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

rimfireOH wrote: Imcrazy, the ECCL indeed looks fantastic! It's a little outside my ideal radius, but it's something to consider. And I'll add Select Fire to my list to visit.
Guessing you are an east sider since you are shooting at Point Blank and somewhere else nearby, maybe Sherwin or Atwells. quite a few conservation clubs out east. It's Not that far of a drive, I commute from the Geneva area to Cleveland every day. Just put on a gun podcast and set the cruise control you're there before you know it.

As for Clubs there's:
Weslaco (Chardon)
Marxman (Madison)
Urbandale (Madison)
Lake County Rod and Gun (Madison)
ORCO Sportsmens Club (Geneva)
Geneva Gun Club (Geneva)
Ashtabula Rod and Gun (Geneva)
Crooked Creek Conservation Club (Hartsgrove)
and several more, each has a variety of events that run monthly, as well as member only access to Pistol and Rifle ranges, plus camping, hunting and fishing opportunities. ORCO even has a private indoor range with 24x7 prox card access for members.

For $60.00 a year (Prices vary), it's too good of a bargain to pass up. Crooked Creek holds monthly USPSA, and Steel Matches if you are into Pistol shooting. There's a USPSA 'circuit' we follow Crooked Creek, Gem City, Eagles Nest, ARO so you can shoot a match every weekend. imho better practice and a LOT more fun than just standing on an indoor square range.
Plus there's, shotgun sports: Skeet, trap, 5 stand, Dog trials, pheasant hunts
rifle matches: Smallbore, Silhouette, CMP High Power, CMP Garand, CMP Rimfire, milsurp, Air rifle,
pistol matches: USPSA, IDPA, Bullseye, Steel, Bowling Pin
Combination: 2-Gun, 3-Gun (ARO - Performance Shooting Sports & Southington Hunt Club)
Black Powder: trail and turkey shoots
Archery, Indoor and Outdoor
Hunters Education
Women in the Outdoors
Boy Scout Venture Crew
I know I'm forgetting several event types that are offered as well.

The monthly scheduled events at the various clubs are open to the public, so you can check out the facilities and meet some of the members, may as well shoot a match while you're there. I have a hard time justifying hourly range fees, when several hours at an indoor range could easily cost me as much as an annual membership to a gun club. and if I fire up my grill, cut my dog loose, or launch my drone on the indoor range, people get all bent out of shape.

Unsafe handling isn't tolerated at the clubs.,.

Best of luck in your search.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

Bruenor wrote:Best of luck in your search.
Thank you; that's quite a bit to digest. I'd forgotten about the BSA Venturing Crew -- that may be a good place to start for me.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

BSA Venture Crew .223 meets at Ashtabula Rod and gun club the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month at 2:00PM. Youth Archery will follow each meeting at 4:00PM. Anyone ages 14 to 21 that is interested in outdoor activities, contact Barry Palmer or come out to one of their activities and see what they are about. PM for contact info. (Although I think Barry may be currently involved with the power plant shutdown, which tends to take those guys offline for a month or so.)

Aside from the archery, they do a lot of shooting activities and other stuff that looks like a lot of fun.

theres also the 4H group https://www.facebook.com/LCYG4H/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson