Ares Combat - Virtual Firearms Training

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Ares Combat - Virtual Firearms Training

Post by OldManTod »

So interestingly I get a call from my father in law to go check this place out, its called Ares Combat Virtual Firearms Training in Macedonia Ohio. Anybody ever hear of it?

I went out there on Thursday with him and actually was pretty impressed by the place.

Its a combat fighting place that has an area dedicated to the virtual training, I was skeptical at first but after an hour have figured out I would go again. Very similar environment and training that they have in the simulators down at Ft. Bragg, only difference is at Ft Bragg there are lots of wires, etc. in the firearms whereas this either has just the air hose that has a canister you put in your pocket or the other firearm is just the pistol with the laser built in.

Tons of scenarios, but also target and competition shooting - the scenarios can modified so that you are NOT necessarily shooting in every scenario (I found myself shooting ONLY when a firearm was present, whereas my father-in-law shot people at the wrong times).

If you immerse yourself in the scenario you can learn alot from it, he has holsters that you can put the firearm in and train in drawing scenarios OR you can start from low ready. For instance during active shooter situation where there are bodies on the floor already, I found that I would stay at alert, whereas when I was standing in the drug store, I kept the pistol holstered then drew and fired accordingly.

The scenarios have situations where SOMEBODY is going to die and you will potentially be shot, but as you can imagine its all about staying in the fight. I would say that after being at TDI and scenarios that Jake has setup at Fun and Gun, there are times when the video does something that you don't have control over. For instance, when entering a particular situation, we have been taught to slice the pie and use cover/conceal, in some of the scenarios you enter an area fully exposing yourself unnecessarily.

There are two types of pistols, the one with the gas piston is an actual glock that has the internals replaced, so you have a real feel there, attached to the magazine well is a magazine that has a cord attached to a CO2 cartridge which allows for the slide to cycle.

They are going to be adding furniture, boxes, etc to train in the use of cover/conceal, but for now both the scenario and the target shooting is as realistic as it gets. The pistols are zeroed in, the accuracy is there.

The web site is http://www.arescombatvft.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, they have a few different offerings, but I focused on the shooting aspect of it while I was there.

If you have somebody you are introducing to shooting, this is hands down the best way to introduce without the intimidation of rounds being fired, there is audio to it but obviously not to the extend of live rounds.

Give it a shot (pun intended) let me know if you have any questions, these guys are just getting started and would LOVE to see people like you and I who are trained in shooting and scenarios as that will only make their engagements with beginners and new shooters better.
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Ares Combat - Virtual Firearms Training

Post by TSiWRX »

Very neat! And this is pretty close-by, too. I will have to check it out. Thanks!
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
EChryst

Post by EChryst »

I'd be interested in checking this out as well. We should go as a group. Not it! on planning.
-Erik
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Ohhhh..... That sounds like fun!

Dates in mind?

Maybe look at something in March or April?
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

That could be a great event - guessing a discount, etc. plus it would give us a chance to critique each other.
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Sounds like it could be a good time.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
EChryst

Post by EChryst »

TSiWRX wrote:^ Ohhhh..... That sounds like fun!

Dates in mind?

Maybe look at something in March or April?
Earlier in spring, the better. For me at least. Once Mid-April hits, I'm out.
-Erik
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

OK, let's look at early March, then.

What's good for everyone?

Weekday when it's slow?
A Weeknight?
A Weekend day? Weekend night?

They list hours as:
Monday - Friday 10 am - 9 pm
Saturday - 10 am - 4 pm

The website specifically notes that reservations are required, so I guess that "slow/busy" thing doesn't really apply?
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Monday, Thursday or Friday after 3:00 is best for me.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

Basically at this point, we can pretty much get the hours we want, if we call him with a headcount he will make accommodations.

I am pretty flexible and would say I can get two three four guys or so.

Thinking our hour would probably cost about $35, although if we show up with a gaggle of people while only two are shooting at a time he will cut a price break.

I think it would be a great opportunity for people who have been through instructing to be able to receive/provide feedback too, I know that even when I shoot people see things that I am not aware of.

This could be shaping up to be a good time - would we want to consider like a 6:00 on a friday night and then some booze afterwards (I'm not gonna pull any punches, I go pirate style, one keg of rum in each hand).

T
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ :lol:

I might have a couple of guys who might be interested, too.
EChryst

Post by EChryst »

With enough lead time, I'm game for pretty much whenever.
-Erik
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Macedonia isn't.too far.from.my hood, I'd be interested in joining you fellows.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
BadCrosshairDay

Post by BadCrosshairDay »

I'd like to go too, if you're still thinking of going sometime and there's room.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Several years ago, I was part of a group given a special tour of Fort Knox because we had been involved in developing tank gunnery procedures back in the early 70's. Part of it was the opportunity to use the small arms virtual combat range scenarios. I was very impressed with the system the military was using then and thought it was very realistic and good training.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand