COLT ARMALITE AR-15 RIFLE #000106 THE COCONUT RIFLE

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

:D For your reading pleasure:

By Jeff W. Zimba
There are several famous firearms that we have all looked at, read about or simply heard of that we would like to claim personal ownership of. No matter the style or discipline of interest, such a famous or personally important gun exists. For those of us who take fondly to the black rifles, the most famous of all may arguably be the Colt ArmaLite AR-15 Serial Number 000106, also known as "The Coconut Rifle." This particular gun is credited for the adoption of this weapon system eventually becoming the primary service weapon of the United States Military for almost 50 years...
https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display ... ticles=254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
rattlehead

Re: COLT ARMALITE AR-15 RIFLE #000106 THE COCONUT RIFLE

Post by rattlehead »

Very cool; thanks for sharing that.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Cool story bro!!!
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

That is interesting. When I went through basic training at Ft Dix my rifle had a 3 digit serial number, a series of zeros ending in 157. The earliest model marking was XM-16. At some point the X was lined out and the A and 1 hand stamped separably as the rifle had been modified. I always wandered if the lower had been part of the trial rifle batch.