Thoughts on shoulder holsters?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Louis
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Thoughts on shoulder holsters?

Post by Louis »

Primary carry has been OWB with a cover for many years. Hip issues now make that difficult, so considering shoulder holsters for primary plus 1 mag. Primary is now either Glock G-19 or Kahr K-9. Comments, observations, and opinions welcomed. Thanks!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Thoughts on shoulder holsters?

Post by Mr. Glock »

Great for the car, and medical situations you mention, a quality shoulder holster is key. Even more than OWB because, think of it, your gun is pointing horizontally behind your back. I recommend the Galco shoulder holsters, and the Classic Lite is last on the list if you can afford the Miami Classic or Jack##s rigs. Two spare mags also tends to balance out the gun better, and the fit to the gun is more solid.

If you want try it out with a cheap Uncle Mikes, I would steer you away from it. Testing with a cheapie Works with many other situations, but too bulky, too cheap here for what is a very specialized application. Buy once, cry once. But if you go cheap, get a shoulder holster that holds the gun vertical, just in case. Better to shoot the floor or your own leg.

Formal ranges will not let you train with a shoulder holster draw (makes sense when you think about the draw), so you’ll have to train otherwise (dry fire works). Just figure out how to draw without muzzling yourself.

Shoulder holsters are not popular now, but eminently useful. Kind of like the shotgun, the shoulder holster gets the joh done but not is not sexy.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Mr. Glock speaks the truth. A quality Galco shoulder holster is about the only way to go. I have one and have carried with it in the past. Great piece of kit.

Also agree that 2 spare mags balances the gun better.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Louis
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Louis »

Thanks, Morne and Mr. Glock,

Both of you make good points and give me a direction to start. Used the wife's kitchen scale today to weigh the K-9 plus a full load and the G-19 plus a full load. They are within an oz of each other. For reference, a loaded S&W 337PD/Crimson Trace is exactly a pound less. (The S&W in a kangaroo shoulder holster is the only experience I have with shoulder carry.) The K-9 with two mags on the opposite side would be better balanced than the G-19 but the G-19 plus one mag is about the same weight. Do you find balance or total weight to be more important?
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Balance is way more critical. You can hang almost any amount of weight from a shoulder holster comfortably. Think about it like comparing a load-bearing vest to a duty belt; the vest distributes the weight more ergonomically.

Balance keeps your back in line. Over a long day that’s vital. Try carrying without any spare mags and the next day carry with the offsetting mags - you’ll feel the difference.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

Carried an M9 in a Galco vertical shoulder holster while in Iraq. A really nice piece of kit, very comfotable when balanced as others have said.

One minor advantage of shoulder holsters over belt carry is that it's easier to get in and out of armrest chairs. :)
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

I have two of THESE, one for a Walther and one for short 1911's. Comfortable rig after you get it adjusted correctly, and don't forget to loc-tite the screws! (Ask me how I know that) It is a vertical holster, you only need one hand to draw. Can be configured with mag carriers on the opposite side of the holster, if desired. Nice for winter wear under a coat or jacket, the rig tends to show if wearing a vest.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

Because of similar health problems I have tried shoulders holsters. Now in fairness I am not a large man so maybe that’s why I didn’t care for shoulder holsters. Finally found a chest holster from a company I believe was called Litepath. Have never looked back.
Louis
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Louis »

I am not a large man either. I did get a Galco Miami Classic a couple of weeks ago and have been wearing it around the house with a Kahr K-9 (empty) and a couple of magazines. Adjusting it has been a slow process and my muscle memory is now worse than my regular memory. However, the arrangement shows promise and my hips are starting to notice the difference, for which I am very thankful.
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

Love em.

Galco jackass or miami vice type.

Ken Null makes great ones for small pistols. http://www.klnullholsters.com/default.htm. Really weird easy release and great carry angle.
Louis
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Louis »

Have had a Ken Null shoulder holster for some time. A well made holster, but I never really bonded with it because the kangaroo seemed better for a small pistol. Most of the time a larger gun OWB has been OK. Right now a cane master may fit my lifestyle better.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Dumber than dog {inappropriate language}, especially for firearms as small and light as you mention.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

jeep45238 wrote:Dumber than dog {inappropriate language}, especially for firearms as small and light as you mention.
In 25 years, please update this thread with your opinion at that future time with your future self.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Mr. Glock wrote:
jeep45238 wrote:Dumber than dog {inappropriate language}, especially for firearms as small and light as you mention.
In 25 years, please update this thread with your opinion at that future time with your future self.
In 25 years, if my hips can’t handle the weight of a polymer gun, neither will my shoulders or back.

In either situation a SW centennial j frame is unlikely to be surpassed by anything else in any holster.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

jeep45238 wrote: In 25 years, if my hips can’t handle the weight of a polymer gun, neither will my shoulders or back.
It’s ok. Twenty-five years ago, I was sure I knew everything too.