Rookie ammo question

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SPROUT

Rookie ammo question

Post by SPROUT »

Ok so im guessing this has been asked to death but i cant find it searching older posts. I have an a r with a 20" heavy barrel with a 1:9 twist. I know 55 grain is the most common. But i was wondering if there is an ideal weight or specific brand that is best suited for this twist rate. Im gonna test the vmax and hornady black but wanted others input. I don't reload so looking for commercial ammo recommendations. Thanks in advance.
"Blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called the children of god." --jesus Matthew 5:9

God created man..Samuel colt made them equal
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Rookie ammo question

Post by JustaShooter »

It's really going to depend on the specific ammo + barrel combination. But in general, a 20" 1:9 barrel should be able to stabilize up to about 70 grain projectiles. You don't say whether your barrel is chambered in .223 or 5.56 or has a Wylde or other chamber style and don't mention your planned uses so it's hard to make specific ammo recommendations. For precision shooting in .223, I'd probably be looking at 69 grain stuff, maybe Federal Premium Gold Medal Match King, and if that doesn't shoot well drop down to something in 62 grain where there are a *lot * of choices. That's also where I'd look for most other intended uses - there is bound to be something to meet your needs and shoots well in that weight.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
SPROUT

Post by SPROUT »

Its chambered in 5.56 and gonna be a coyote gun shooting out to around 2-300 yards
"Blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called the children of god." --jesus Matthew 5:9

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'd probably be looking at Black Hills 60gr Vmax or Hornady 60gr soft point then, those are what my coyote-shooting friends like. See how they shoot in your rifle and go from there. If you are going to save the fur, some folks like the lighter bullets, say 50gr or lighter, so they make small entrance holes and explode inside without leaving an exit...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
SPROUT

Post by SPROUT »

Shot the hornady vmax 55 grain and the 62 grain hornady black. Both shot great. I was shooting off a bipod standing up and was right at 1 moa. Im guessing without human error would be even better. Both bullets had the same point of impact give or take. Im happy with both or these so will probably go with the black only for $$ purposes ( its about half the price). And not worried about the hides.

Amegatek

Post by Amegatek »

I shot some Hornady Black .308 in my Bolt Action rifle and it was great! I liked it so much, I try to get my .308 reloads as close as possible to that load. Great choice in ammo.
Glock 30 Gen 4 (.45 ACP)
FN 509 MRD (9mm)
Sig Sauer P320 X-Carry (9mm)
Sig Sauer P365 XL (9mm)
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

SPROUT wrote:Shot the hornady vmax 55 grain and the 62 grain hornady black. Both shot great. I was shooting off a bipod standing up and was right at 1 moa. Im guessing without human error would be even better. Both bullets had the same point of impact give or take. Im happy with both or these so will probably go with the black only for $$ purposes ( its about half the price). And not worried about the hides.
Overall if the barrel is decent, and you use good ammo anything up to the maximum it will stabilize will shoot good IMHO.

The heavier bullets deliver more energy downrange and drift less in the wind.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).