Anybody have a tourniquet?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Anybody have a tourniquet?

Post by Brian D. »

No, I didn't just accidentally put a hole in myself :mrgreen:, just bringing up the topic. Have had one in my car's first aid kit a long time, now added one for my pocket or (ugh, it's crowded) belt.

Buy one with the windlass thingy to tighten it, not some kind of glorified surgical tubing cheapy. (Not getting too technical here am I?)

And if you are new to them, take it outta the plastic, untangle it, read the instructions, and actually try it out a time or two. It's not rocket surgery.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
djthomas

Re: Anybody have a tourniquet?

Post by djthomas »

CATs are awesome. A word of warning - make sure you're buying the genuine thing. You can find tons of cheap Chinese knockoffs that are dangerous. The real deal is going to set you back $25-$30. You also want to set the velcro strip up properly so you can operate the whole thing one handed if needed.

During training we tested some of the cheap ones and half broke trying to go the final turn to really stop blood flow. One failed catastrophically with the windlass flying out with enough torque to draw blood on the guy who got hit 12 feet away. Thanks goodness it was the back of his neck and not an eye.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I sometimes forget there are knockoffs, never had any but the real deal.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Hyflyer

Post by Hyflyer »

A couple of years ago I put some thought into the top risks I have at work as a truck driver. I'm out on the open road and away from urban areas a lot and also in industrial "plant" settings. I identified bleeding control (for me OR someone else) as a risk that I was unprepared for. From the time a wreck happens in the middle of nowhere or a fall/injury at a plant until calls are made and help arrives could be 30-40 minutes or more. That's a long time to be leaking! I've talked with folks at some of the facilities I frequent and most have commercial "first aid" kits from various vendors with bandaids and burn cream and tylenol etc. but nothing substantial.

I put together a little kit with a CAT tourniquet, antiseptic wipes, some combat gauze, trauma dressing, s-rolled gauze, tape, shears and gloves. It's all in a little zipper pouch that's about 5"x6"x2" that could fit on my belt if needed but resides in my backpack. My backpack has many tools for many situations and I try to keep it nearby (as near as practical) where ever I go.

I've taken several weapon training classes and next on my list is some type of field medical training to deal with life-threatening medical problems long enough to stay alive until help arrives.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

I've added these bleeding control kits to each vehicle, and my range bag.
https://www.narescue.com/community-prep ... ol-kit-stb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and purchased a training kit to familiarize myself with the equipment, and not strain or damage the one I carry.
https://www.narescue.com/community-prep ... rainer-stb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The sale that North american rescue had on these a while back that TSiRWX posted was a great deal. If I recall it was around $45 for the regular kit on "Stop the Bleed Day"

Also nice that my local Police supplier (Atwells in painesville) has begun carrying the 5.11 pouches, kits and gear so you can piece together a kit as well.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson