Ohio Highway Patrol issued ammo

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

talon99

Ohio Highway Patrol issued ammo

Post by talon99 »

Does anyone know what ammo the OHP issues to its troopers? I'm getting ready to rotate out my carry ammo.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Ohio Highway Patrol issued ammo

Post by JustaShooter »

I don't know, but honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about carrying what they do. I know, it's an often-recommended practice (and I've recommended it myself in the past) but anymore it's best to just pick from the top tier of SD ammo and call it a day. I recommend, in this order, Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger T-Series. If you post the caliber you carry I'll give you more specific recommendations. Whatever you decide, at a minimum buy a box of 50 and run it through your gun with all of your carry mags to ensure it functions flawlessly, then buy another box and load up. (sgammo.com and other online retailers can often give you very good prices on carry ammo in boxes of 50 - I usually pay less for a box of 50 from them than I do for half that at a local gun store.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Good advice given.

It would be nice to know what ammo local and Highway Patrol is issued though. Do you think it would be uniform through the state or just whatever the local commander finds on sale?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Javelin Man wrote:Good advice given.

It would be nice to know what ammo local and Highway Patrol is issued though. Do you think it would be uniform through the state or just whatever the local commander finds on sale?
Everything OSP does is uniform. So it would be uniform throughout the state. I know the FBI goes back and forth every few years. For a while they were Federal Hydrashok, then Gold Dot, then Federal HST. I've heard Winchester Golden Saber was in the mix once. Basically, whatever the most recent tests show is best, which depending on how the test is run can vary greatly.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.