Any experience with a Walther PPQ?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Any experience with a Walther PPQ?

Post by Brian D. »

Hello. I have a line on a low miles used Walther PPQ, the first generation or M1. This one is in 9mm.

Anyone here own or otherwise have decent trigger time on one of these? I really like the feel (and the price!) but handling isn't the same as carrying/firing. Looking into whether my local ranges have one as a rental. Meanwhile, input here would be appreciated.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
soontobedeity
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Any experience with a Walther PPQ?

Post by soontobedeity »

I shot and carried a 9mm M1 since the day they became available. The only thing I ended up doing was swapping out the stock sights for some Trijicon HDs (loved the sights, but that ended up being a mistake - I have a scar on my gut where the nasty sharp rear sight cut me). The stock trigger started out excellent, and got better with range time, which my PPQ has seen quite a bit of. I ran two TDI classes with it - Basic Pistol I-III and Extreme Close Quarters - and never had a single malfunction that I didn't induce.

I love, love the paddle magazine release on the M1. I'm currently carrying a G19 with a RMR, and I miss that paddle release (and the PPQs ergonomics) like mad. If you're prepared to spend some time finding a holster that works for you, and spending some additional coin on magazines, I think it's an excellent firearm.

If you're ever in the Toledo area, I'd be happy to let you take mine for a spin.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

This one would come with four magazines, or what TDI folks call a "starter pack". :mrgreen:
As to holsters, I looked around online, you have a point. Just for the heck of it, I'll rummage through my jumbo box of stuff that's been accumulated in the last 30 years. Maybe something will fit the Walther.

********************************************************************************
BillytheKidder

Post by BillytheKidder »

I have a 4”, a 5” and a Q5, All are M2s. Great triggers for plastic guns, both pull and reset. Thousands of rounds through the 4”, not as many through the others. I highly recommend.
Proudly causing more problems than I solve, since 1950.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I bought it the other day, and took it to the range over the weekend. The trigger is the best out-of-box for a gun of this kind (striker fired, Glock-ish trigger style, if you will) that I've ever gotten my hands on. Pull is crisp, reset short and quick. Out of curiosity I took a look at a Q5 match variant on the way home from the range, that trigger is even a little better still! The other controls, and ergonomics of this PPQ M1 4" seem to suit me.

My new-to-me gun is definitely accurate as well; hitting an 8" plate at about 30 yards, which was set up in the weeds and shadows somewhat, not a problem in slow fire.

It fits a couple of kydex holsters made for a Glock model 17, quite nicely. (Whew, there's some money saved!) Now down the road, I can save up for more magazines. :wink: While I'm 99% certain that MecGar makes the mags for this Walther, they don't offer a "generic" less expensive one of their own. Sometimes the gun companies won't let them do that, other times it's probably a case of MecGar saying 'Eh, we wouldn't sell enough of these to make it worthwhile'.

So far I'm impressed with the thing.

rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

I had a PPQ M1 (with the paddle release) and loved it (except for the paddle release). Traded it for something, somewhere, just because of that paddle release. Loved the PPQ trigger so much I went out and bought its cousin, the M2 which was exactly the same (except it had the button magazine release). Trigger was just what I was looking for: crisp break and short reset. Loved it so much I went out and bought a PPQ Navy so I could shoot it suppressed. Loved it so much I changed out the trigger on my Shield so it'd match the PPQ.

Did I tell you how much I love this gun?