Springfield TRP Hammer Drop Issue

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Springfield TRP Hammer Drop Issue

Post by Brian D. »

Sounds to me like you fixed it. Keep that overtravel screw forward enough to prevent the problem from reoccurring and continue shooting the thing.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
nu3gawhat
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by nu3gawhat »

The overtravel screw is stopping the trigger from pushing the sear out far enough from all the hammer hooks.

The 1/8 safety notch sticks out further than the full cock hook, so you need more overtravel to clear it.

If your overtravel screw feels loose, easy to turn, you should put some purple or blue loctite on it prevent this from occurring again in the future.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I certainly don't know why Springfield has extra notches on the hammer, but the original design (still used today) is made this way in case there is a mechanical failure of the sear locking properly in to the cocking notch. The idea is, if the sear slips off the notch at full cock, the half-cock will catch the hammer and prevent an unintended discharge.

So...
If you pull the trigger (but NOT ENOUGH!), you can push the sear off the cocking notch but you aren't pulling the trigger enough to keep the sear clear of the half-cock notch.

The trigger over-travel screw will indeed migrate on it's own if it doesn't have thread locker on it. Having the over travel screw set perfectly improves the overall trigger "experience" but it can also make the gun stop working if it becomes maladjusted.

Back in the day, some S&W revolvers had trigger stops and department armorers would remove them completely from the revolver for duty use.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!