Firearm Engraving (NFA) East Side of Cleveland?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

EChryst

Firearm Engraving (NFA) East Side of Cleveland?

Post by EChryst »

Does anyone have someone who will engrave AR lowers for SBR purposes on the east side of Cleveland? Gary Szechy of Gary's Bunker in North Royalton is supposed to be the go to guy, but a little bit far if I can find someone closer.

Thanks!
-Erik
Bruenor

Re: Firearm Engraving (NFA) East Side of Cleveland ?

Post by Bruenor »

I know that Viktors Legacy Custom Gunsmithing in Fairport has a guy they use. not sure where the engraver is located, may be between where you are and Fairport Harbour. Worth giving Jim a call to ask. 440-352-4867

Had mine engraved on a friends cnc mill in his garage, but driving out to Ashtabula isn't a short trip either :)

best of luck.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Firearm Engraving (NFA) East Side of Cleveland?

Post by rimfireOH »

I was favorably impressed with A Sign For the Times on Mayfield Road in South Euclid when he did my SBR lower.

The three reasons I'd go back to him:
  1. He didn't freak out when I asked him about engraving a firearm. Some of the other places that claim to "engrave anything" started to hyperventilate when I told them what it was a firearm lower.
  2. He did good work. Even touched up a couple of nicks I'd managed to collect.
  3. He was nearby. (And 4. I remember his price being fair.)
He had a temporary transfer document (the legality of which I questioned, but decided to risk) which he claimed allowed him to take temporary possession of the NFA item (i.e., leave in his shop overnight without me being present). Other than staying with the item while he worked on it, I couldn't come up with anything better. A figleaf, perhaps, but it was a chance I decided to take. I did leave a copy of my stamp with him. (Yes, this brings up the chicken/egg stamp/engraving argument. See TTAG and elsewhere.)

He did ask me to strip and clean my lower so he wouldn't have to worry about all the parts flying around. That was a bit frustrating, but understandable.

He claimed to be the guy who started the "no guns, no business" cards that we sometimes talk about. Not active on the forum, he said, but a member here and highly supportive of the cause. When I get around to engraving my former 80%ers, I'll be heading back to A Sign For the Times.
EChryst

Post by EChryst »

This is more in my area. How far down did you have to strip your lower?
rimfireOH wrote:I was favorably impressed with A Sign For the Times on Mayfield Road in South Euclid when he did my SBR lower.

1. He didn't freak out when I asked him about engraving a firearm. Some of the other places that claim to "engrave anything" started to hyperventilate when I told them what it was a firearm lower.
He had a temporary transfer document (the legality of which I questioned, but decided to risk) which he claimed allowed him to take temporary possession of the NFA item (i.e., leave in his shop overnight without me being present). Other than staying with the item while he worked on it, I couldn't come up with anything better. A figleaf, perhaps, but it was a chance I decided to take. I did leave a copy of my stamp with him. (Yes, this brings up the chicken/egg stamp/engraving argument. See TTAG and elsewhere.)

He did ask me to strip and clean my lower so he wouldn't have to worry about all the parts flying around. That was a bit frustrating, but understandable.

He claimed to be the guy who started the "no guns, no business" cards that we sometimes talk about. Not active on the forum, he said, but a member here and highly supportive of the cause. When I get around to engraving my former 80%ers, I'll be heading back to A Sign For the Times.
-Erik
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

EChryst wrote:This is more in my area. How far down did you have to strip your lower?
Frankly, I don't really remember. Give him a call (216-297-2977) and see what he says.
EChryst

Post by EChryst »

rimfireOH wrote:
EChryst wrote:This is more in my area. How far down did you have to strip your lower?
Frankly, I don't really remember. Give him a call (216-297-2977) and see what he says.

Terrific. Thank you.
-Erik
EChryst

Post by EChryst »

As a follow up to the question I asked:

I can strongly recommend "A Sign for the Times" to do SBR engraving - or any NFA engraving at that rate.

Quick, reasonably priced and "down for the cause"
-Erik
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

rimfireOH wrote:I was favorably impressed with A Sign For the Times on Mayfield Road in South Euclid when he did my SBR lower.

Technically the lower is not an NFA device until you assemble it into whatever it is becoming. You can have a title 1 receiver engraved long before you receive the approved form 1 back.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).