Revo rig ?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

eddy883

Revo rig ?

Post by eddy883 »

any opinions on the ubran carry Revo look to get the Shell,OWB and appendix
CZ-P09 , G26
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Revo rig ?

Post by TSiWRX »

I don't have the Revo, but knowing the genre, I've got a couple of recommendations/suggestions for you -

Don't start out with a hybrid holster.

For extensive range/training use, you'll find that their backer - regardless of its materials (synthetic or leather), the harsh use will accelerate its breakdown, which typically manifests in the soft portion of the holster closing over the rigid portion once you've withdrawn the weapon.

Practically speaking, this isn't that big of an issue, necessarily, when you're "on da streetz," but in the training and range atmosphere, this will make re-holstering both harder than it needs to be as well as may set you up for training scars. Also, it's actually possible for the holster to bind on the draw. Here's Greg Ellifritz's opinions on hybrid holsters:
Greg Ellifritz wrote: I don’t like them at all. While they may be comfortable, I’ve seen significant problems with them in my training classes. The hybrids that use some type of neoprene backing will occasionally “lock up” when the shooter is trying to draw. The neoprene is so flexible that pressure from the body pushes through the backer and collapses it up against the gun. The pressure from the shooter’s own fat or muscle tissue drives the gun into the kydex shell and makes it difficult to draw under stress or when shooters attempt to draw while moving.

Again, I know I’m going to get a bunch of “that’s never happened to me” comments. Have you ever tried to draw your gun while sprinting away from your attacker? Most of you haven’t. People don’t know what they don’t know.

The hybrid holsters with the leather backer tend to lose retention over time. The overly large leather sweat shields start to droop. I can’t tell you how many shooters I see who initiate their re-holstering process by pointing the muzzle of their guns at themselves while lifting up a sagging sweat shield that blocks the holster mouth.
Taken from http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/d ... rig-part-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that while comfort is very important - after all, one of the main reasons folks stop carrying or do not carry as often as they should is because they perceive carrying as being uncomfortable - and that hybrid holsters do have a valid role with this consideration in-mind, newer shooters who are adamant about training, like you, you'll want to not be limited to just having a hybrid holster as you start your training. Start out with something simple - an OWB Kydex/Boltaron or other thermoplastic, mounted strong-side. You'll find that this will both make your initial training easier (and safer) as well as will eventually realize that a good holster of this setup will take you much farther than just through beginner classes (6+ years and hundreds of hours of training classes later, I still routinely use my very first OWB setup).

Additionally, the large footprint of these "modular" systems often means that they're not nearly as well suited for any particular mission - that both subjective comfort as well as objective performance will be compromised in order to allow for the holster to be a Jack-of-All-Trades. If you look at specifically designed AIWB holsters, for example, you'll see that they typically present minimal profile and have little to no excess material so as to keep their footprint to a minimum, in order to maximize comfort. Take a look at Spencer Keepers' highly acclaimed AIWB lineup ( http://keepersconcealment.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), the RCS Eidolon and Morrigan ( http://rcsgear.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ; and even the minimalist Vanguard and similar offerings from other makers ), the Tulster, and PHLSter holsters.

Resist the allure of a more specialized or, on the complete flip side, "modular/multi-fit" setup for the time being. There may well come a day soon when something like these will be what's most suitable for you, but for the time being, make the spend on a good strong-side OWB holster so that you can get the training you are after. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I’ve found the Crossbreed IWB (the original) to work very well for me for carrying larger guns, but I don’t abuse them and understand that they can be a limited lifespan item...but the horsehide ones have proven quite durable overall, but do soften up over time. I mention this not really to promote that exact item as much as say pricier dedicated IWB hybrid holsters have their place and won’t suffer from breakdown for awhile (especially with good quality materials/construction) but you do need monitor your equipment for known faults due to wear.

I don’t put neoprene hybrids in this category, because their fault is systemic, not just based on wear.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Avoid hybrids of all types - and this is coming from a former proponent of them. Stick with quality, properly formed leather or kydex only, that allow for reholstering without having to wedge/hunt the muzzle around in there (you're flagging yourself for a major injury if a discharge occurs during this).

Seriously, holstering and drawing are the two most dangerous times of shooting. Don't skimp on quality gear. Expect to pay $80+ for good kit. Hell, my little appendix holster for an LCR cost $98 shipped.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Oh, and I forgot -

Full disclosure. My first two carry holsters were hybrids: the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC and the Crossbreed SuperTuck Delux.

As with Mr. Glock and jeep45238, I don't use mine any more - and I stopped using them while they were both still in very good condition. As Mr. Glock noted, well-constructed examples - using good materials - can last quite a while (particularly if the end-user does not expose the holster to excessive wear/tear such as routine training use) before wear starts to bring out their inherent weaknesses.

And to add to jpee45238's very informative post, shooters should realize that the sweat-shields of their leather holsters and even polymer-plastic holsters can incur wear, take damage, and even break just as can the soft backing side of hybrid holsters.

Shooters - particularly those who actively train or otherwise put their holsters to hard(er) use, such as for competition use - need to realize that holsters as well as their mounting hardware are, no matter how durable, still true wear items, and should be periodically inspected/maintained as well as discarded and replaced when-necessary.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

TSiWRX wrote: And to add to jpee45238
need to realize that holsters as well as their mounting hardware are, no matter how durable, still true wear items, and should be periodically inspected/maintained as well as discarded and replaced when-necessary.
I did that just this morning! (jpee) :-P )

In addition to the mounting hardware maintenence (check your screws weekly), be aware that some are beyond sub-par for anything but casual wear and will quickly fail under force-on-force/grappling. I'm a huge fan of pull-the-dot snaps and some solid steel clips (the ones with a reverse 'tooth' to grab under the belt are amazing - even without a belt), and one piece kydex loops are solid as well, but do crack over time.

I strongly recomment JM Custom Kydex (https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/) and Darkstar Gear (http://darkstargear.com/). Both holster companies have hardware that has been vetted in force-on-force, grappling, and extreme-close-quarters fighting (gun/knife/free-for-all) by very knowledgable dedicated users, and they use that feedback to refine their products. Heck, Darkstar Gear is known to replace older holsters with the newest revisions just from seeing a photo of their old gear and wanting their customers to have the best gear out there.

Pricey? Yes. Comfortable? Yes (with standard holster caveats). Concealable? Much more so than your <$60 offerings. Actually tested? Big time. Custom accomidations on their products? Yup (just email for specific requests/models that aren't on their website)

One other thing - modular holsters (once claiming to do more than one type of carry) pretty much always suck at every type of carry they advertize.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

For the REVO in particular I would suggest looking at some of the independent product reviews. Seems it's super Bulky, which is the last thing you probably want in a carry holster.

https://www.concealedcarry.com/gear/urb ... d-and-bad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Both Riley and I had just recently talked to a different company that spent months trying to develop a holster that could be adjusted to any angle of cant but trashed the whole project when beta testers reported it was uncomfortable and too bulky. I looked at Riley and really hoped that somehow Urban Carry had overcome those obstacles. But they didn't.
a “real world” test showed that the OWB rig really as big fail in this regard is it took very little effort and time to tear the holster from the rig as the video below demonstrates:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/1 ... er-system/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I’m shopping for an IWB rig one of my dominant objectives is to add as little width to that of the firearm as possible. It’s going between my pants and my body, after all, with the ultimate goal being concealment.

With a padded plush layer under a leather layer plus a Velcro layer plus another Velcro layer plus another leather layer plus another leather layer plus another leather layer — thick leather, too — the REVO practically doubles the width of this GLOCK 19.
unfortunate because it is a neat idea with the interchangeability, and adjustability, but the last thing I need is a holster that will increase that bulk rather than disguise it.

Some good recommendations above.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

jeep45238 wrote: I did that just this morning! (jpee) :-P )
:lol: :lol:

Sorry, brother! It was unintentional!

(I also jfarted this morning, too! :lol: :wink: :P )
In addition to the mounting hardware maintenence (check your screws weekly), be aware that some are beyond sub-par for anything but casual wear and will quickly fail under force-on-force/grappling. I'm a huge fan of pull-the-dot snaps and some solid steel clips (the ones with a reverse 'tooth' to grab under the belt are amazing - even without a belt), and one piece kydex loops are solid as well, but do crack over time.
Yup, every bit of hardware should be inspected routinely.

For more permanent applications, some type of thread-locking method is also recommended.

And also as jeep45238 noted, there's going to be a bit of adjustment/fine-tuning required for the holster-hardware/mount -to- belt match, too. There are going to be specific setups where one or the other type of mounting hardware or means is simply less-than-idea or even untenable.

That belt is the foundation of waistline carry, and it demands perhaps even more attention (and expense) than the holster itself, but realize that there are specific considerations there that can well impact the interplay between it and your chosen holster - or at least the hardware you choose to mount that holster to the belt: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p4322750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eddy883, overall, understand that as someone like you - someone who has "stepped onto the path" - it's more than likely that you will continually be searching for that perfect holster. :) If you're lucky, you may even find one that fits your needs just right for a few years...but find that once it's succumb to everyday-use wear-and-tear and the intense destruction that good training and dedicated self-practice can open it to, you might not be able to find that same exact replacement. :P

jeep45238's given you a couple of really top-tier Kydex-benders to follow-up with: they're not exactly cheap, but they are well-worth following up on, particularly after you've attended those first few classes and have gotten a better grasp on exactly what it may be you're looking for with a holster.

----
jeep45238 wrote: One other thing - modular holsters (once claiming to do more than one type of carry) pretty much always suck at every type of carry they advertize.
- and -
Bruenor wrote:For the REVO in particular I would suggest looking at some of the independent product reviews. Seems it's super Bulky, which is the last thing you probably want in a carry holster.....

unfortunate because it is a neat idea with the interchangeability, and adjustability, but the last thing I need is a holster that will increase that bulk rather than disguise it.
I agree - I think that the idea is a good one, but I think that the attempts made by the various manufacturers, so far, have failed: there's just too much bulk.