Where to shoot 5.56 62 grain "green-tip"

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dcludwig

Where to shoot 5.56 62 grain "green-tip"

Post by dcludwig »

Anyone know of any ranges in the greater Dayton area that permit the 5.56 62 "green-tip" ammo fired? I know it can't be used at indoor ranges, and the only ranges I've been to also don't allow it. I haven't researched it thoroughly yet, but wondered if anyone knew where they are allowed (or do I have to wait for a zombie apocalypse?) I got a lot of it in some great deals I couldn't pass up, not really thinking about limitations at ranges. I've got a lot of 55 grain, so I can go plinking, but I'd really like to go through some of the green tip.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bruenor

Re: Where to shoot 5.56 62 grain "green-tip"

Post by Bruenor »

Pretty much limited to an outdoor range with earth berms / backstop, so look for the sportsmans or conservation clubs. Trouble is most of them are private, but membership is usually pretty reasonably priced. The clubs I belong to are between $40.00 and $60.00 a year for unlimited access. One can easily spend that for only a couple hours at an indoor range.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/springvalley#tabr5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The below are private, not sure why they have no info on cost to join. I find the most enjoyment shooting at the outdoor ranges at the private clubs, also the most opportunity to partake in various shooting disciplines.

http://www.ncsportsmansclub.com/about/o ... nge-rules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gcfng.com/marksmanship/ranges.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you can find more listings here: https://www.wheretoshoot.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Thanks! I actually have ODNR pass for Spring Valley, but have only shot pistols there. I could have sworn I saw something on their site saying not steel-tip, but looking again, I can't see anything prohibiting them (they have earth berms, so I can't see why not) That will work great for me as its only 20 minutes away) I'll have to check the private clubs, but it always seemed cost prohibitive to me as I'm now retired and pretty much on a fixed budget. I'll have to look at the links you posted. Thanks again.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Even if you don't join one of the private clubs it's worthwhile to look at their schedule of events. All the clubs near me have matches that are open to the public. We have the opportunity to shoot the following mathes monthly if not more often, for a nominal fee, even if you are not a member of the club:

CMP Highpower
CMP rimfire
Rimfire Silhouette
ARA Rimfire Benchrest
Vintage Rifle
Black Powder
skeet
trap
5 stand
2 gun
3 gun
USPSA
IDPA
Steel Matches
SASS
Bullseye
Steel Matches
Bowling Pin shoots
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The indoor range I belong to doesn't allow steel core, and checks with everyone who brings in a long gun case. The owner says he and his employees can tell which ammo is steel core by just looking at it. I begged to differ, and we made a wager. Next time in I brought some various .223 and .308 from my stash, and a magnet to prove him wrong. He only mis-guessed once, with some rather "vintage" .308 that was before his time as a gun guy.

I won the bet and got his cash. I let him keep the magnet, which they all now use.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Brian D. wrote:The indoor range I belong to doesn't allow steel core, and checks with everyone who brings in a long gun case. The owner says he and his employees can tell which ammo is steel core by just looking at it. I begged to differ, and we made a wager. Next time in I brought some various .223 and .308 from my stash, and a magnet to prove him wrong. He only mis-guessed once, with some rather "vintage" .308 that was before his time as a gun guy.

I won the bet and got his cash. I let him keep the magnet, which they all now use.
Steel core or steel jacket ??

Steel jacket is WAY more common than steel core :-). Steel core is banned from import and sales for the most part.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Either or, Bill.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.