SP101 vs. GP100

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jeep45238

SP101 vs. GP100

Post by jeep45238 »

My recent acquisition of a 3" SP101 22LR has seriously peaked my interest in revolvers enough to persue a centerfire companion. There is a potential for carry, with being in the woods all day my biggest threat is stumbling across tweakers on their pot plants or potentially a black bear (unlikely due to location). The main purpose would be shooter development at the range, and potentially working it at IDPA while I work semi-auto at USPSA.

I just can't freaking decide between an SP101 or GP100, as the size gap doesn't appear to be that large in photos. So I'm asking for what people would gravitate towards given the above usage. Hand size is a L glove with M length fingers.

My biggest lessons learned with the J/K series was the sights are nothing like what I can find on a semi auto. My .22LR has an actual rear sight, and it makes a huge difference. If it's possible to get an acceptable sight picture with a front sight replacement and blackening the rear sight trench, I'm considering the 9mm SP101 simply due to the fact that I reload 9mm and this would give more trigger time than saving for a bulk purchase of 38/357

My gut reaction is to get a Wiley Clap model of one of the two, since the sights they come with can't be done without significant aftermarket investment. I just have a problem determining whether to go SP101 or GP100 without having the opportunity to have my hands on anything but a SP101. The Wiley Clapp GP100 is $100 more than the SP101, which is reasonable - and the WC SP101 is about $125 more than the base SP101's.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: SP101 vs. GP100

Post by JustaShooter »

Shame you are at the opposite corner of the state, I have both and could let you try them out. I prefer the trigger on the GP100, both the pull and reset - the SP101 reset is more of a slap that I dislike. The GP10 also fits my hand better (I wear size L gloves) and it is enough larger that it absorbs recoil noticeably better in the 357 magnum they are chambered in.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

The SP101 is noticeably smaller and lighter, I’d suggest a run to a gun store just to hold them. Both are from the days when Ruger built ‘em heavy, both grips are nice and both triggers are just ok. Out of the box, GP’s might be slightly nicer, but there are spring kits out there that smooth it out without light striking. Or, it coild just be it is bigger and thus you get better leverage on the GP.

Now, if you can find an old Security Six, you’ve found the best carrying gun Ruger ever built.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
dademoss

Post by dademoss »

Jeep,

Sent you a PM.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

After messing with a 4" GP100 today, I think I'm going to go that route. I have larger grips on my SP101, and the difference in the length of pull between the two revolvers was minimal - probably identical if the GP100 had slightly slimmer grips.

With model # 1774, I'm getting a short barrel, stocks that I would have put on it anyway, easily replacable front sight if needed, and 7 shots vs 5 of the Sp101. The price point will likely be around $625 out the door.

I think this is where it's at for my usage.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction