Open to input: Night Sights on a Glock23

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Open to input: Night Sights on a Glock23

Post by bignflnut »

So, I start digging in the box for the manual and behind the foam I find some night sights that were never installed on this Glock 23.
Here they are: https://dawsonprecision.com/heinie-gloc ... ium-front/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So...should I install these (with help)? Should I simply set the weapon aside as a bedside table because during the day, these sights are worthless? Should I run IDPA with these to get someone else interested in a transaction?

Throw the doors wide open. How should I be thinking about this all?
(was previously considering selling this weapon and getting something I am more interested in, but now my interest is piqued.)

Thanks, ya'all.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
jeep45238

Re: Open to input: Night Sights on a Glock23

Post by jeep45238 »

Dawson makes great sights
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
yogidave

Post by yogidave »

I think you should just buy another Glock to put them on! Ultimate problem solver right here. 8)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Why do you believe these sights are "worthless" in daylight?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

I guess I'm accustomed to the stock 3 white dots configuration (no fiber optic sights, yet). They're highly visible in regular light conditions.

The tritium sights are relatively dim in the light of the room I was in, comparatively, and I'm not sure I could quickly pick them up. Maybe that's why there's some slant to the rear sight? This is my first Glock experience, and I'm extremely green, having spent little time with it...I guess with a laserlyte and some time, I could get used to it.

If I'm all wet, please, feel free to let me know. I'm genuinely looking to the community to set my expectations prior to me taking action. Willingly admit my ignorance on this one.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

The heine sights you linked to are not designed to line up the tritium in anything but dim light - at that point they should be visible and you can stack them (snowman). In daylight hours they are designed to function as a set of precision steel sights. You’ll find that using the steel to aim, versus painted dots, gives a crisper sight alignment and better accuracy. You will have to practice if you aren’t used to it.

I prefer a plain black rear and a fiber front, or a tritium front with a day-glo circle of orange/yellow. With the plain rear it helps me focus on the front sight, and gives a faster sight picture than the cluttered 3 dot mechanisms.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction