Milled or Stamped AK?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

HancockCountyHAl

Milled or Stamped AK?

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

What do I want in an AK, Milled or Stamped?
Are the American made Century Arms any good?

Thanks.
HancockCountyHaL
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Milled or Stamped AK?

Post by Mr. Glock »

i am not an AK expert by any means, but was in your shoes a few years ago.

Milled is heavier but more rigid, which translates into increased accuracy in some cases. But that doesn’t mean stamped is bad, just different, nor does it mean all milled guns are more accurate than all stamped guns. So, no hard and fast rule.

I found that for every general statement about an AK, there are always several exceptions.

I found it helpful to think in terms of good brand vs not-so-good brand. For example, people seem to have a generally high opinion of Russian made guns (although sanctions hit that supply), while IO’s reputation is not very good.

Maybe that will help you frame your AK buying decisions?
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Do not buy an American made AK!

If you plan on actually shooting an AK look for a chinese made Norinco or Polytech, Russian made Saiga or Bulgarian made Arsenal.

Check out this second review of the Century C39v2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c4Ptcp6YvA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rob reviews just about every AK available.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
Delta-3

Post by Delta-3 »

What BEAR said.
Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil,
be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister,
an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

Thanks guys. Looks like I have a lot of research to do.
HancockCountyHaL
xxxamishxxx

Post by xxxamishxxx »

i have had several different ones and 2 years ago bought a Century C39v2 milled receiver and like it..
Accurate Concepts Training, LLC
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Punishers Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club
captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

xxxamishxxx wrote:i have had several different ones and 2 years ago bought a Century C39v2 milled receiver and like it..
How many rounds do you have through it by chance? I"m asking because I've seen about a half dozen or more youtube channels where after 3-5K rounds they all have damage on their front trunions and bolts. Many of them have incorrect head spacing after that many rounds as well, whereas it was fine before.

I'd avoid any of the American AKs at the moment. None of them are as good as a WASR.

As for milled vs stamped, that is a personal preference really. If they are built properly they function just as well as each other. The milled will be a little heavier, some say it's more accurate but I've not really seen anything that really proves that to me.

FWIW, Atlantic Firearm's builds are amazing quality. I'd say for your first AK, get one of their 700-800 dollar builds or a WASR. AK Files is a great website for all things AK. Tons of reading material over there specific to the AK.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
xxxamishxxx

Post by xxxamishxxx »

I have only done about 1000 rounds in past 2 years.... no trouble so far

*Edit* For those who know me.. i normally don't keep one long enough to put a lot of rounds thru them lol
Accurate Concepts Training, LLC
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Punishers Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

I like the Arsenal "SLR" series the best.

The century rebuilds are hit or miss. I have seen them with the front sight WAY off.

The great thing about stamped is that you could buy a flat piece of punched sheet metal and form/finish/build your own. I haven't shopped AK kits in awhile but I'm guessing the supply isn't nearly as plentiful anymore.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Stamped. The only thing milled does better is increase the weight.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Morne wrote: The great thing about stamped is that you could buy a flat piece of punched sheet metal and form/finish/build your own. I haven't shopped AK kits in awhile but I'm guessing the supply isn't nearly as plentiful anymore.
My all time favorite AK build has to be the one built from a second hand shovel..
https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/t ... ng.179192/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder how many rounds he has through it at this point.

My Norinco MAK90 has a milled receiver, it's a great shooter. I have no complaints.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

I looked at AKs before and it seems like a toss of the dice on anything you buy. I would like to have one one day but for my money I will stay with ARs.
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I had a Saiga for a long time, fair number of rounds through it but the trigger never improved beyond terrible. Everyone one of my AK's were better, some far better than that Saiga.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George