XDS vs 2.0 Shield?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

XDS vs 2.0 Shield?

Post by dustymedic »

When I was looking a slim carry gun last summer, a lot a people told me to get a Shield. When I tried a friend's gun I didn't like the trigger, so I went with a XDS 9mm. I now have a M&P 2.0 Compact and love the trigger on it. Anyone think it's worth trading in my XDS for a 2.0 Shield? (Of course, it would also make my entire collection S&W)
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: XDS vs 2.0 Shield?

Post by JustaShooter »

Not sure the Shield 2.0 has the same trigger. I'd recommend shooting one first, and if you like it, why not?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

dustymedic wrote:When I was looking a slim carry gun last summer, a lot a people told me to get a Shield. When I tried a friend's gun I didn't like the trigger, so I went with a XDS 9mm. I now have a M&P 2.0 Compact and love the trigger on it. Anyone think it's worth trading in my XDS for a 2.0 Shield? (Of course, it would also make my entire collection S&W)
nobody knows any better than you on how something feels to you & when it comes down to a carry choice your the one that makes that decision.
if the weapon feels comfortable in your hand than you'll feel comfortable with it on your side, both are great choices from a reliability stand point that is not a issue.
personally i have had both the XDS 9 & 45 & currently carry Shield 45, not saying anything against the XDS models just saying i prefer the feel & control of the Shield.
BOB
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

With the XD-S, be sure that you can operate the gun single-handed - both the dominant hand as well as the non-dominant hand.

This should include single-handed malfunction reduction.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

TSiWRX wrote:With the XD-S, be sure that you can operate the gun single-handed - both the dominant hand as well as the non-dominant hand.
Is there something about the XDs that makes this more difficult than the Shield?
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Grip safety on the XDs
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:Grip safety on the XDs
Yeah, it has a grip safety. And? It's not the same design as the XD / XDm where the grip safety has to be depressed to manipulate the slide, if that's what you are getting at.
NRA Life Member

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Didn't know the grip safety functioned differently on the XD-S than on the other XD variants. I guess Allen can explain what he was getting at for himself then.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

JustaShooter wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Grip safety on the XDs
Yeah, it has a grip safety. And? It's not the same design as the XD / XDm where the grip safety has to be depressed to manipulate the slide, if that's what you are getting at.
That's a very good question, JustaShooter, and I should have elaborated in my response above :oops: - thank you for calling me out on it. :)

The slide is allowed to reciprocate fully on the XD-S without the grip safety fully disengaged - and I think this is a huge improvement over the standard XD-line's setup - but it still will not fire. However, this ability to cycle the slide successfully during single-handed manipulations may give the shooter a false sense of success with the follow-up shot being a no-go because they never realized that the grip safety was not fully disengaged, i.e. that the pistol was ill-seated in the shooter's hand to begin with (and that the grip is unlikely to "improve" during such manipulations.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

I've had the XDS since last July, and there was a learning curve on with the safety.
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...