Ever give a firearm as a house warming gift?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

walnut red

Ever give a firearm as a house warming gift?

Post by walnut red »

My daughter is buying a house in an area which I consider less than desirable, kinda Urban Homesteading. But i considered anything inside of 270 to be less than desirable. My daughter has been shooting all of her life, off and on, and is actually very familiar with firearms. I was thinking of giving her a handgun for a house gun but remembered I have a 20 ga pump with a 22" barrel. Daughter is small, only 5'2" but I have a youth buttstock I can use which may fit her fairly well. Maybe add a flashlight to the shotgun, What do you think?
ArmedAviator

Re: Ever give a firearm as a house warming gift?

Post by ArmedAviator »

I personally think a pistol would be a better option. Or better yet, an AR if she's familiar.

From the research I've done on penetration ballistics, .223 seem to have less lethality after wall penetration than 9mm and buckshot. Additionally, I think an AR is a great moduler design out of the box for any size frame. Add a flashlight, add a foregrip, add a red dot sight, and have two loaded 30-round mags and you're good to go for superior home defense. Accurate, easy manipulation, and shorter package than the shotgun, albeit probably double the price....

Also, see my thread in Kirchner's Korner that I posted today about home security system and surveillance.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The .223/5.56 is pretty loud when fired indoors, ArmedAviator. Not disagreeing with your ballistics assertions at all though.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Brian D. wrote:The .223/5.56 is pretty loud when fired indoors, ArmedAviator. Not disagreeing with your ballistics assertions at all though.
I actually had thought about mentioning this after I had posted above and walked away. This is very true. Although arguably the most effective firearm, it will cause hearing damage in doors (and out doors). Everything has their draw backs :(

Time to guy buy another suppressor....
TDwin
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

A carbine of some kind chambered for a handgun caliber is another option to look at. On the other hand, long guns are a little tougher to tactically/safely move around with in close confines.

While I'm ruminating here, let me add that I wish suppressors were just an over-the-counter item like a scope or magazine.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Brian D. wrote:A carbine of some kind chambered for a handgun caliber is another option to look at.
A good idea. The longer barrel should also reduce noise.
Brian D. wrote:On the other hand, long guns are a little tougher to tactically/safely move around with in close confines.
Also true, however having two hands on the firearm, one forward and one back, gives to better firearm aiming and control overall.
Brian D. wrote:While I'm ruminating here, let me add that I wish suppressors were just an over-the-counter item like a scope or magazine.
You and me both. And many millions of Americans.
TDwin
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

My wife would kill you. I'd be forever grateful.

For a low round count, easily stored and easily put into action setup, I'd really consider a Sub2000.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Brian D. wrote:A carbine of some kind chambered for a handgun caliber is another option to look at. On the other hand, long guns are a little tougher to tactically/safely move around with in close confines.

While I'm ruminating here, let me add that I wish suppressors were just an over-the-counter item like a scope or magazine.
On that note, I have a Scorpion evo 3, (9mm) "pistol" , (not the carbine), fitted with an arm brace, light and laser.

Ya it's no rifle, but it's small and beats having a lot longer firearm to get around the house with when it's close quarters.

I keep the mags loaded w/ +p.

i've got one AR outside the safe and close by also ,but I want to keep my hearing intact too.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

I keep a set of electronic ear muffs on the nightstand. I hear something go bump in the night, I'll put them on before investigating with any firearm. Turned up I'll hear more and won't have to worry about my hearing. In case of sudden attack, crashing through door, etc. I wouldn't have time but if I do have the time, nice to know they're there.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

When she was home her closet gun was a pump action 22 mag and a S&W J Frame in 32 long.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I gave my niece a pistol, holster, and little combination safe for her new place
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
true_pair

Post by true_pair »

I vote for a 12 or 20 ga shotgun with number 4 or 6 shotshells. 556 and 9mm will both go through multiple sheets of drywall and would be lethal.
I seem to remember one of the TV shows covered this topic a few years back. Maybe it was best defense?
for now here is a drywall penetration video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0qgQoej5zE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

true_pair wrote:I vote for a 12 or 20 ga shotgun with number 4 or 6 shotshells. 556 and 9mm will both go through multiple sheets of drywall and would be lethal.
The balance is always penetration versus lethality. Even now, there is yet a magical bullet which penetrates only the threat, and not anything else.

If the gun is being put into play, the threat must be lethal. This is both a practical as well as a legal consideration.

If the threat is lethal, then we simply need the penetration: penetration is our only guaranty of a physiologic stop.

If penetration is required, then we must be mindful of our shooting lane and the backstop.

And this is no different indoors versus out.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

For handgun caliber carbine, Ruger's got the new PC9 that has been reviewed and is apparently available some places, but I haven't seen it yet for sale anywhere I've looked online.

9mm, can take Ruger mags or (with a simple swap out) Glock mags.

It's a takedown model, comes with an adjustable ghost ring sight, and rails for optics and/or flashlight/laser/whatever.

You might consider it if a pistol caliber carbine's still on your list.

**Edited to add - and it comes with a threaded barrel - so a silencer could be added easily.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

For the maybe-now-or-then shooter, who won’t CC, but will only use it in a high stress situation, simpler is better.

And it must be a reliable firearm.

Simple and Reliable, that’s it.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member