Traveling with NFA firearms.. Primitive camping question

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Traveling with NFA firearms.. Primitive camping question

Post by Bruenor »

I go on an annual camping trip with some friends to PA and we do primitive camping in the Allegheny National Forest.

What I would like to know is how do I complete the ATF travel form 5320.20 so I can take my SBR with me. I was rejected last year since there is no destination address, because we're camping in the middle of a national forest. I tried "Allegheny National Forest - Loggers Road last year and was rejected.

My second travel form for the same item, was approved to the address of the Gun club I go to near Erie PA. which is not close to where we camp.

Does anyone know the trick to completing the form for travel to a non address location ?
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Traveling with NFA firearms.. Primitive camping questio

Post by JustaShooter »

I don't pretend to know the answer, but if nobody else responds you could try Lat/Long of the campsite...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I was thinking of GPS coordinates as well.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

The form requires an address so I suspect GPS coords won’t fly. I’ve never done it but I’ve heard people have been successful listing an address and then below that putting “and other lawful locations within the state”

Put the address of a rest facility you will visit, or a restaurant, a Walmart, or any other place you are reasonably likely to stop.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

OK so I submitted 3 travel forms for PA to see what would fly and what wouldn't, aad to make sure I was set for this year.
Figured I would report back in case anyone was interested

1. Gun club in Erie, PA APPROVED I knew this one would go through since it did last year.
2. Gun club in PA In same county as primitive camping area - APPROVED - Figured this would go through since the one for the other club did, and it's at least int he same county as the are we camp in
3. Submission with GPS Coordinates. APPROVED - this one I wasn't to sure about, but now I know it is acceptable.

On several other sites I saw people reply along the lines of the ATF can regulate interstate travel so all you need is a form to anywhere in the state, once you've crossed state lines the ATF has no say over where you go from there. IOnteresting stance, may have some merit, don't think I want to be the one to find out though.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Nice! The GPS coordinates part surprised me. Watch someone else will try and get denied based on the whims of the examiner. :roll:

I get the intrastate argument but to be really technical you're still traveling interstate until you reach your destination. Nothing says you have to stay at that destination very long though. My first destination of record could be the welcome center on the interstate highway as I cross into the state.