Cold weather gun lube?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Cold weather gun lube?

Post by Brian D. »

This topic seems timely right now. Some gun oils do NOT work as advertised at low temperatures. I switch to white lithium grease or graphite powder if the gun and I are going to be outside for an extended period.

What do the rest of you use?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bianchi?

Re: Cold weather gun lube?

Post by Bianchi? »

Slip 2000 (as gimiky as the name sounds) has never let me down.

***WARNING*** DO NOT PUT LUBRICATION INTO THE GLOCK SLIDE HOLE ***WARNING***

When I didn't know any better, I thoroughly lubricated my the hole that's on the bottom of all Glock slides. I went out shooting on a frigid March day, and I was suffering from a massive quantify of missfires. Comparing spent shells from my Glock to a friend's Glock revealed extremely light primer strikes.

I got home tore the slide down to its individual components (not hard to do. Just watch out for tiny parts). The firing pin channel was UNBELIEVABLY gunked up. It was filthier than whore house's bathroom after double coupon day. When people say Glock's need minimal lubrication, they really mean it. Just a dot on each of the metal slide rails on the frame will do. Less is more when it comes to lubing Glocks.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

On Glocks, also lube the entire outside of the barrel too. A little drop on the connector now and then is a good idea too.

Best way to find out if your lube is cold-worthy is toss the bottle in your freezer for a few days. My old lube was discontinued, so I had to do some testing. Ended up tossing a few bottles in the freezer for a week and it was eye
opening
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Breakfree CLP always seems to just work for me.

Every wonder lube I've tried has failed, and been a disappointment.

Slip 2000 EWL - I over-lubed a bolt carrier in my AR15 (didn't know it was possible to over-lube an AR) it was cold at the match, the lube actually seemed tacky and I had issues with the gun cycling. Had to take a rag and wipe down the bolt carrier and upper to remove the lube, after which the gun cycled flawlessly for the rest of the match.

I have lots of frog lube avail if anyone in the Cleveland area wants it.. epic fail at the first match I shot in the cold. but hey at least it smells minty fresh.

slipstream Weapons Lube - Crusader industries - Didn't really get to try this high priced lube out .. applied it once, the open bottle of lube tipped over in my clean and lube toolbox and all the lube leaked out of the bottle into the bottom of my toolbox. They tout the nanoparticles in the lube as being key to it's effectiveness. Well I can attest that it is indeed fine oil and light as it had no trouble leaking out of a closed container. Crusader Weaponry seems defunct at this point I can no longer find an active website for them.

Militech1 - I think I still have a bottle of this somewhere. should give it a run on the Mossberg 930, most other lubes cause this shotgun to bind up in the cold, and turn into a manual bolt action rather than semi-auto.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I run 0w30 synthetic motor oil generally and a high-shear leadscrew grease (like lubriplate) on slide rails. I don't carry Glocks.
Revolvers generally get whatever i have like remoil or motor oil, lightly applied.
Pump shotguns I've used 3 in one oil or dexron atf.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

evan price wrote:I run 0w30 synthetic motor oil generally and a high-shear leadscrew grease (like lubriplate) on slide rails. I don't carry Glocks.
Revolvers generally get whatever i have like remoil or motor oil, lightly applied.
I know this is a dumb reason, but the smell of motor oil keeps me from trying it in my guns. Definitely appreciate the advice though.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Brian D. wrote:
evan price wrote:I run 0w30 synthetic motor oil generally and a high-shear leadscrew grease (like lubriplate) on slide rails. I don't carry Glocks.
I know this is a dumb reason, but the smell of motor oil keeps me from trying it in my guns. Definitely appreciate the advice though.
That's a totally cromulent reason. I'm used to industrial smells myself so it's not a problem.. For me.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Slip2K EWL, year-round.

Good-to-go in NE-Ohio weather. Even on days like today.

Yes. I've shot on days/nights like today. :D It's glorious when no one else is at the range! 8) And you make all sorts of new friends when you have to huddle-up in classes. :lol:

Shooter's Choice FP10 also works just fine on my handguns. I've never tried it in the AR, though.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio