Who to contact about getting a hunting round approved?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bama.45

Who to contact about getting a hunting round approved?

Post by Bama.45 »

I would like to know who I could contact about getting 30-30 Win on the approved deer hunting list. I have researched it and the ballistics for 30-30 win is on the bottom end of "high power" rifle cartridges...It doesn't make a lot of sense that you can use 45-70,.45LC,.44mag and not 30-30 Win. 45-70gov's effective range is double that of 30-30 win. Bullet drop on 30-30 win is over 10 in and by 400yds its in the dirt 3 ft. It also doesn't make sense that 30-30 win is legal to use on any other game animal but deer.

I think this would open hunting up more and the 30-30 is an awesome deer cartridge.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Who to contact about getting a hunting round approved?

Post by Mr. Glock »

Get the 35 Rem approved too, while you are at the ODNR.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
daveinohio

Post by daveinohio »

Bama.45 wrote:
I think this would open hunting up more and the 30-30 is an awesome deer cartridge.
How exactly would adding the 30-30 open up hunting? Who is being hampered in their pursuit of deer due the prohibition of bottle-necked cartridges?
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Because a lot of people have 30-30's and refuse to pay $800 for a rifle that was $500 three years ago..30-30 is one of the oldest hunting rounds and used to be legal everywhere. It's flat stupid that you can hunt coyote and hogs or any other animal besides deer with it.

And Im not advocating opening it up to all bottle necked calibers, a 30-30 performs under or at the same ballistics of the allowed straight walled cartridges.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'm surprised ODNR has opened up choices as much as they have already. They have annual meetings at the district offices (or nearby) about this time of year to discuss regulation changes.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

My guess is they made the definition they did to keep it simple and easy to understand. Rather than have a list of specific (ever changing) rounds or having to run a bunch of numbers to determine if a bullet is to fast, to small, to big, etc... by sticking to straight walled cartridges they accomplish this and open the useable rounds enough to keep a large number of people happy.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
daveinohio

Post by daveinohio »

$800?

Ruger American 450 bushmaster is $459
Marlin 1895 were $400 a couple months ago

I have a .300 and a .308 I would like to use but not being able to doesn’t reduce my opportunity to effectively kill a deer.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Well, by the time you put a scope, flip up scope caps, sling, rifle case, and other accoutrements... Yeah, you basically double the cost of the rifle.
daveinohio wrote:$800?

I have a .300 and a .308 I would like to use but not being able to doesn’t reduce my opportunity to effectively kill a deer.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

not to forget all the budget minded single shot options on the market.. Handi rifles, mossberg, CVA, Remington, Henry, Traditions
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I'd like to see my .480 Ruger cartridge be allowed. The ..475 Limbaugh is and the .480 is just the .475 Light, same diameter and bullet. With still 1300 lb/ft energy, a lot more than a .44 Magnum.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

My whole tbing is if you can hunt every other game animal in ohio with a 30-30 and other bottle neck rounds, why is it on forbidden for deer? If it's supposed safety precautions that still is about as dumb as a sack of hammers. I believe every state surrounding Ohio allows them besides Indiana (not sure on that one) and you don't hear about accidents happening because of it.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

daveinohio wrote:$800?

THIS^ is what's wrong with a big section of the gun community. The "It don't affect me so I don't care." crowd. Ok, I get that it doesn't limit you, but it may and probably does others. Sure, I have a 12ga and I have a muzzleloader. I also have a Winchester 94 30-30 that it would be nice to be able to hunt with. Personally I'd like to see all bottle necked rounds allowed. But I can see why they don't want 308 and 300 win mag, because there are idiots that would try 600yd shots.

Besides that I asked for information on who to petition or address this to. I didn't ask for you to rail about how you don't care because it don't affect you..Good, bravo for you...But this isn't about you. It's about opening up access to people that may only have a 30-30, or may only like the round for hunting..I have spoken to several people that have said they'd like to see 30-30 win allowed.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Contact Dillon Sportsmen’s Center and talk to their manager, Dan, whose last name escapes me at the moment.
He goes by Buckeye Dan on the BFA forums, but I don’t know if he still frequents that site (does anybody?)

He was the grassroots driving force behind getting the straight walled rifle cartridges approved and has lots of good contacts at ODNR and others, and what’s more, the last time I saw him he was looking for a gun or hunting project to work on. IMHO, everybody who uses a rifle in Ohio owes him a big thank you.

If I were you, I’d get ahold of him.
Shoot me a PM if you need more info

Good luck!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

Thanks Chuck, I will try to get in touch with him.
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Begs the question if 30-30 is allowed why not 300 Blackout ?? Suppressors are allowed now. We can hope that it will evolve over time. IN did over time...at one time bottle necks were allowed but there was a limit to case length. They just recently liberated things on private land at least.

I think in Ohio some success was made with ODNR pointing out some of the smokeless muzzle loader stuff avail like the Swinglock as just one example. I would bet Savage will be along any day with an Axis or some such in 450BM with it being legal in OH, IN, and MI and that market recently opening up.

Co worker bought a 450BM Ruger bolt action. 458 SOCOMM is probably a better AR round than the BM but illegal because it has a neck :-).

Really a 243 would be safer than some bigger bore setup that more or less has to use a heavier bullet in order to get a decent Ballistic coefficient....and would do double duty for varmints too.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).