Who to contact about getting a hunting round approved?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Who to contact about getting a hunting round approved?

Post by Chuck »

willbird wrote:Begs the question if 30-30 is allowed why not 300 Blackout ?? Suppressors are allowed now. We can hope that it will evolve over time. IN did over time...at one time bottle necks were allowed but there was a limit to case length. They just recently liberated things on private land at least.

I think in Ohio some success was made with ODNR pointing out some of the smokeless muzzle loader stuff avail like the Swinglock as just one example. I would bet Savage will be along any day with an Axis or some such in 450BM with it being legal in OH, IN, and MI and that market recently opening up.

Co worker bought a 450BM Ruger bolt action. 458 SOCOMM is probably a better AR round than the BM but illegal because it has a neck :-).

Really a 243 would be safer than some bigger bore setup that more or less has to use a heavier bullet in order to get a decent Ballistic coefficient....and would do double duty for varmints too.

Bill
If you know your target nd what is behind it, they are all equally safe
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Chuck wrote:
willbird wrote:Begs the question if 30-30 is allowed why not 300 Blackout ?? Suppressors are allowed now. We can hope that it will evolve over time. IN did over time...at one time bottle necks were allowed but there was a limit to case length. They just recently liberated things on private land at least.

I think in Ohio some success was made with ODNR pointing out some of the smokeless muzzle loader stuff avail like the Swinglock as just one example. I would bet Savage will be along any day with an Axis or some such in 450BM with it being legal in OH, IN, and MI and that market recently opening up.

Co worker bought a 450BM Ruger bolt action. 458 SOCOMM is probably a better AR round than the BM but illegal because it has a neck :-).

Really a 243 would be safer than some bigger bore setup that more or less has to use a heavier bullet in order to get a decent Ballistic coefficient....and would do double duty for varmints too.

Bill
If you know your target nd what is behind it, they are all equally safe
While that IS true :-). I have seen a few ND at a popular rifle range go skyward at a 45 degree angle, during a high power match. No bullet is a good thing to be headed up and out that way......but a lighter bullet with lower BC might do less damage than say one of these....

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/pro ... 00-gr-HPBT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Launched at 3500 fps :-). Both are lethal but encouraging the latter over the former, in the name of "safety" may not be a wise choice ;-).

I used the Sierra .338 as an easy find to link to, but we have the tech to launch this bullet 3000fps from a muzzle loader, .972 BC, 472 grains.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/416-472g ... h-tactical" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm pretty sure I could cook up a "straight walled" ctg to put some stank on that bullet out of a strong bolt action rifle too ;-)....I have a 26" .416 barrel blank kicking around :-) that needs to be used for something :-).

The
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

I think it has to do with buck fever, and *some* folks launching bullets without thinking about the background.
Patched drywall, replaced siding and interior trim (real fun in November) because some a..hole launched a slug without thinking . Found out months later it was an elderly gent

I never figured out if the slug ricocheted into the house, or was fired over the neighbors house. The slug hit my second floor bathroom, and I can't quite see that deer
jumping that high.....and I sure hope he didn't see Rudolph and Blitzen when he pulled the trigger.

Don't get me wrong, I use centerfire rifles .(223/.243) for hogs & 'yotes. But considering the range capabilities of modern slug guns and muzzleloaders, there isn't much difference out to 200 yards, other than drop, when compared to a lot of the straight wall cartridges being used, so those are no big deal. They are close to being equal.
I do get concerned however, about the *some* .
Had an inquiry for a rifle, sounded like he wanted it right now, to go hunting. In .458 Lott. For deer season. In Ohio. :shock: