What troopers carry

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

What troopers carry

Post by dl1911 »

Latest column from Mas has a list of what state troopers are carrying around the country. Comments include some corrections as well as other information.

https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/Mas ... ers-carry/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Appears that only 6 are using 9mm with the rest being a mix of 45 (ACP & GAP), .40S&W and 8 using 357SIG.

Was nice seeing 8 carrying 357SIG since I've come to like it. I was a little worried about failure to expand but after checking with Mas, he hasn't had one reported case of one failing to open up while there are several with 9mm. Seems the additional velocity takes care of that. May stick with it through the winter instead of moving to 45 & 10. Getting attached to the P229 police trade in (picked up at a gun show, was originally used by Springfield, IL police department and I didn't think anything good gun related came out of IL!) I've been shooting at matches and carrying. Thankfully I already had the dies to reload that caliber.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Jakor

Re: What troopers carry

Post by Jakor »

I bought a nice used Glock 27 from a PD in Illinois, Palo Hills, I think. It's stamped on the slide.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from it's government." - Thomas Paine
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I was a little surprised to see that West Virginia is still using the S&W Model 4566 TSW. Regular production of those ended in 2004 (!) The third generation S&W semi autos are widely regarded as stout work horses, but I have to think the ones in WVSP holsters are looking pretty shopworn by now.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

Troopers by their self out in the middle of nowhere need more than a 9mm. I thing a 357 Sig is a great choice.
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

Brian D. wrote:I was a little surprised to see that West Virginia is still using the S&W Model 4566 TSW. Regular production of those ended in 2004 (!) The third generation S&W semi autos are widely regarded as stout work horses, but I have to think the ones in WVSP holsters are looking pretty shopworn by now.
I have read about S&W doing special runs of the 3 gen models. I guess this is were some of them go to.
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

Whirlwind06 wrote:
Brian D. wrote:I was a little surprised to see that West Virginia is still using the S&W Model 4566 TSW. Regular production of those ended in 2004 (!) The third generation S&W semi autos are widely regarded as stout work horses, but I have to think the ones in WVSP holsters are looking pretty shopworn by now.
I have read about S&W doing special runs of the 3 gen models. I guess this is were some of them go to.
Wish they'd do some special run of 1076s w/o the magazine disconnect and a yuge number of magazines. I've seen prices close to $100 for just one!
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers