savage 212

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bigbosky

savage 212

Post by bigbosky »

Im looking at getting savage 212 slug gun. Someone told me they can only shoot
sabot slugs. Does anyone know if this is true? I dont see any reason for it not to
be able to shoot normal slugs.
John 447

Re: savage 212

Post by John 447 »

I suspect you will have some serious lead build up in the rifling. Never saw a reason to try anything other than sabots in my Savage 220.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

The optimal rifling twist would be different ?
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

The manual for Savage bolt-action shotguns (there is no 212-specific manual on their website) states that the "recommended" ammunition is the Remington 3” 385 grain AccuTip (a sabot round). Aside from this recommendation, there is no statement that you should only use sabot rounds. Neither is there a warning, caution, or prohibition against using standard slugs or even buckshot.

It seems to me that if you couldn't or if it were dangerous, they say it somewhere.

My guess would be that, as the rifling in a shotgun is designed to grab the sabot and not the round, there would be a (perhaps substantial) decrease in accuracy when using a standard slug. Just my guess, though.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.