9mm cylinder conversion work - SW .38 K frame

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jeep45238

Re: 9mm cylinder conversion work - SW .38 K frame

Post by jeep45238 »

Per tkcustom:

Regarding accuracy and poi change from 38 to 9:
Accuracy is about 4" at 25 yds. POI change, Not sure.

Regarding 38 spl loaded/shot sticking after a 9mm conversion:
In all the conversations we have done this has never been reported.

I can’t justify buying a second revolver to do this work to, as saving up to have the work done is already on a tight budget, so seems like I have to pick between converting to a caliber I have a lot of, it buying a case or two of ammo for a low volume piece and just staying with 38.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

jeep45238 wrote:Per tkcustom:

Regarding accuracy and poi change from 38 to 9:
Accuracy is about 4" at 25 yds. POI change, Not sure.

Regarding 38 spl loaded/shot sticking after a 9mm conversion:
In all the conversations we have done this has never been reported.

I can’t justify buying a second revolver to do this work to, as saving up to have the work done is already on a tight budget, so seems like I have to pick between converting to a caliber I have a lot of, it buying a case or two of ammo for a low volume piece and just staying with 38.
4" at 25 yards is atrocious ??
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

.355"-.356" slug in a .358" bore, I don't think 4-inches at 25 yards is atrocious.

Seems to me that if you would modify a K-38 to shoot 9mm with moonclips, you are likely doing some fast-action gun game. Precision would NEVER hurt you, but it doesn't seem necessary.

Honestly, I just don't particularly care for the idea. I had a very short relationship with a moon-clipped revolver and I didn't care for it. It may also be worth pointing out that if you are doing moon clips, NOTHING beats a .45 ACP. They are short, stubby and fat, you have large holes to drop them in to and that absolutely helps. If you watch a skilled gunner with them, they practically THROW ammo in to the cylinder, and that is a lot easier to do with big fat .45 holes.

My problem with the 625 that I had was that taking those little heathens out of the clips was a total nightmare. Yeah, a better tool would have helped but I couldn't justify $50 more just to hate something a little less.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Sure, cylinder throat has a lot to do with accuracy. But, if you are just working over the cylinder, how would you know the resulting accuracy on a gun where you don’t touch the barrel?

I may have missed something here, since not a fan of the whole idea, however.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I suppose I had assumed that TK Custom is reporting what they often or usually see when shooting 9mm ammo through typical .38 revolver barrels from guns they have modified?
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Sevens wrote:.355"-.356" slug in a .358" bore, I don't think 4-inches at 25 yards is atrocious.

Seems to me that if you would modify a K-38 to shoot 9mm with moonclips, you are likely doing some fast-action gun game. Precision would NEVER hurt you, but it doesn't seem necessary.

Honestly, I just don't particularly care for the idea. I had a very short relationship with a moon-clipped revolver and I didn't care for it. It may also be worth pointing out that if you are doing moon clips, NOTHING beats a .45 ACP. They are short, stubby and fat, you have large holes to drop them in to and that absolutely helps. If you watch a skilled gunner with them, they practically THROW ammo in to the cylinder, and that is a lot easier to do with big fat .45 holes.

My problem with the 625 that I had was that taking those little heathens out of the clips was a total nightmare. Yeah, a better tool would have helped but I couldn't justify $50 more just to hate something a little less.
Many "game guns" will shoot more on the order of 2" at FIFTY yards :-). The taper on the 9x19 probably helps with using moon clips.

Some folks doing game type stuff use 38 short colt in 38/357 revolvers because the shorter cases extract and load quicker/easier.

I'm not against the idea of a 9x19 revolver......just not getting all warm and fuzzy about just rechambering a 38 or 357 and the end results thus acquired.
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).