Ruger double action revolver triggers

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Ruger double action revolver triggers

Post by Morne »

Could some owners of Ruger double-action revolvers please give some insight. Specifically, I'm wondering about trigger pull weight/travel. Objective data (like that obtained with an actual pull weight scale) preferred but I'll hear the subjective as well.

I only own one Ruger revolver - an LCR. I like it for what it is. I'm wondering more about the Ruger Redhawk, Speed Six, Security Six, and the like.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Ruger double action revolver triggers

Post by schmieg »

Morne wrote:Could some owners of Ruger double-action revolvers please give some insight. Specifically, I'm wondering about trigger pull weight/travel. Objective data (like that obtained with an actual pull weight scale) preferred but I'll hear the subjective as well.

I only own one Ruger revolver - an LCR. I like it for what it is. I'm wondering more about the Ruger Redhawk, Speed Six, Security Six, and the like.
If you're going to be in the Cincinnati area any time soon, I have a Redhawk (.44 Mag) and Super Redhawk (.454 Casul) you can try out. I can't compare the trigger pulls to the LCR, but they seem smooth and not too heavy. They are much better in single action mode of course, but they aren't 1911's even then.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

I threw the Wolf Springs in my Ruger SP-101 to drop the pull weight a little, have not had any issues with light strikes . It's been a while so I couldn't tell you which weight springs of the 3 provided in the set that I used.
While my Ruger Security 6 trigger is untouched.
I'll see if I can throw them on the trigger scale when I get home from work provided it goes up high enough.. I've only used it to check single action triggers < 5lbs thus far.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Both my Security Six and SP101 broke at around 4 lbs single action.

My trigger pull scale only goes up to 10 lbs, and The trigger didn't move on either revolver in double action at that pull weight.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

You should know who to call for “Hands On”. And you’ve shot a Security Six btw.

Ruger’s are just a bit stiffer than S&W, in general. S&W pulls single action 3.5 lbs, Ruger
will be 4.5. SW DA 10 lbs, then Ruger 11. Trigger jobs on each are apples and oranges, I’m told.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

I had a GP100 polished the trigger parts real good and lighter spring and the trigger was very smooth. I keep saying I will buy a 6” model one day.
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

I don't remember what the spec was for centerfire LCR's was, but for the rimfires, the factory spec was 14~18 lbs.
dingode

Post by dingode »

Don't the LCR's have completely different style trigger mechanism than the GP's, SP's, and Redhawks? I've been interested in a .22 LCR, but in addtion to the price being too high, IMHO, I've heard the triggers are very heavy, even for a rimfire, and not easy to work on.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

dingode wrote:Don't the LCR's have completely different style trigger mechanism than the GP's, SP's, and Redhawks? I've been interested in a .22 LCR, but in addtion to the price being too high, IMHO, I've heard the triggers are very heavy, even for a rimfire, and not easy to work on.
They are very different from the other double action revolvers. That said, every .22LR DA revolver of any make I've ever messed with has a higher trigger pull weight than centerfire counterparts, due to rimfire reliability issues.

I'm liking the trigger feel, subjectively, of the Ruger SP101 over the S&W J frame. I also like the modularity of the ruger SP/GP series as far as field stripping, and no sideplate screws to strip the heads on or crossthread.

I do like that there's fewer places that need attention on the J/K frame than the Ruger series - but I'll do the extra work on the Rugers for the benefits of the design in my eyes.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I passed up a very good deal on a low miles used LCR in .22 long rifle because of that heavy trigger pull. Way heavier than the centerfire variants, wouldn't have been a useful practice piece for me as issued, and I didn't want to fool with the internals.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.