K frame trainers - which models

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: K frame trainers - which models

Post by evan price »

I will second Sevens. I own many examples of K-frame Smiths. I find they are a superb piece of hardware.

While adjustable sights are neat for a target gun, and handy for competition, they aren't necessary and they will add cost to the gun.

For training purposes i would suggest you disregard 357 models. In training the extra power of 357 isn't necessary and the extra cost of the 357 is significant.

Stainless guns are nice but it's your call. Again it's extra cost.

I would recommend any Model 10 or any post-WW2 38 Military & Police revolver (pre model 10) with an "S" prefix serial number

The model number system started in 1957.
There are many variations and minor changes in the model 10s over their lifespan but most of them are irrelevant to someone who just wants a shooter, and depending on condition you can pay between $200-$400 for a shooter.

My opinion is a 4" model 10 or 64 would be ideal for your purpose.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

This thread is making me reminisce about going to Vance's when the used handgun cases were chock full of police trade in S&W revolvers. Build us a time machine, Evan!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Man, ain't that the truth. A handful of years ago my good buddy was on a gun buying spree. To make a long story short, his company was issuing bonus checks for work-related accomplishments in the form of Visa pre-paid gift cards... spendable anywhere that accepts a Visa. He'd always enjoyed shooting but never went off the deep end the way I had decades before and he'd always enjoyed the guns I had. Well, this was an opportunity to go a little "nuts" and he ended up buying many (many) different guns over a 3-4 year period, It got to a point where he would drop some casual questions and based on them, I would recommend different options. When he got to the point where he was running out of ideas... he was then asking me for ideas! This was a whole lot of fun I must say.

Anyway, we were in Buckeye Outdoors in Hebron before Vance changed the name on the store and they were running the $250 sale on formerly issued/duty Model 10 heavy barrel revolvers. I told him that it was a no-brainer, a total "CAN'T MISS" at $250 and they were showing eight of them in that particular display case (goodness knows how many more in the back) and he asked me to pick one of the eight that were laying there. Some looked better on the outside than others, but that wasn't my concern in the slightest since all of them were absolutely formerly issued and showed it. So I handled each one and dry fired each one a number of times, simply looking for timing and smoothness in the DA trigger.

Eventually I chose one from the group, a Model 10-10 with a round butt and Uncle Mike's rubber grip on it. It was a former Ohio Dept of Corrections revolver and there was a three digit number literally CARVED in to the bottom of the trigger guard. If this number was carved with anything other than a rusty nail and by anyone other than an 11-year old boy hopped up on Pixie Sticks, I would demand proof. Holy cow, this is the textbook definition of "defaced" but this revolver is slick as snot and as accurate as you could possibly ask from a duty gun.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I remember my first trip to Vances in 1990 or so. Shrines full of Smith and Colt duty revolvers. Colt 357 Troopers for $229 and Smith 19s for $199. Model 10s for $149. Official Police Colts for $159.
Nearly everything had some sort of rubber grip, as was the fashion of the time.
The Ruger P89 and Beretta 92 were very fashionable in the new gun case and there were even a couple from the newcomer, Glock.

I was lookng for my first gun. You could get a new Smith 19 for $299. Didn't buy one. Instead i got a Colt King Cobra for $300.

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I still like those “rubber grips”, mostly buying used Pachmayrs on eBay because the new
Lyman versions are an abomination.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I also grew up on the Goodyears (black Pachmayr), these absolutely owned the 1980's.

When I got my hands on that aforementioned DOC Model 10-10 and the Uncle Mike's grip, I had a NEW favorite Goodyear!
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I’m no fan of the Hogue grips though....johnny-come-lately grips
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Dave Shooter

Post by Dave Shooter »

Just to stir the pot.

5 inch Model 10 pencil barrel.

A 10-5 made 50 years ago is the only M10 I currently own. Several 4" have come and gone. With factory grips and a Tyler T grip it just exudes old school practicality, and gives a pride of ownership that none of my plastic guns can match.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Mr. Glock wrote:I’m no fan of the Hogue grips though....johnny-come-lately grips
I met Guy Hogue (the founder) at a pistol match many years ago. Our hands were exactly the same size. It instantly explained why his brand of grips usually fit me pretty well.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Sevens wrote:I also grew up on the Goodyears (black Pachmayr), these absolutely owned the 1980's.

When I got my hands on that aforementioned DOC Model 10-10 and the Uncle Mike's grip, I had a NEW favorite Goodyear!
Pachmayr Grippers just fit my hand so well.
I love me some pretty wood but for something i carry it's probably got Pachs on it.

evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Dave Shooter wrote:Just to stir the pot.

5 inch Model 10 pencil barrel.

A 10-5 made 50 years ago is the only M10 I currently own. Several 4" have come and gone. With factory grips and a Tyler T grip it just exudes old school practicality, and gives a pride of ownership that none of my plastic guns can match.
Last year i picked up a beautifully refinished 10-5 5" C-prefix with like new S&W Combat grips.
The5" isn't that common.

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Just got my first K frame, 64-5. I’ll be looking forward to finding better grips, and shooting this a lot more in the future.

http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Haha, wow at the picture...

Grips or stocks so bad that you refuse to allow photographic record?
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

No, forum cropped it!
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

If your 64-5 is as smooth and consistent as my 64-5, you are going to LOVE that revolver.

Beware that if you shoot it a bunch... I say there is a very good chance that it will make you like J-frames less and less and less.