Walther pps m2

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

beagler
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Walther pps m2

Post by beagler »

Looking opinions on this carry piece. I'm debating this or a Shiel9. Any input?
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Walther pps m2

Post by Mr. Glock »

Walther is more accurate, has better rough manipulation sights and a better trigger. Only negative is molded ridge at mag release may need to be trimmed down slightly. Nothing wrong with the Shield though.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
beagler
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by beagler »

Mr. Glock wrote:Walther is more accurate, has better rough manipulation sights and a better trigger. Only negative is molded ridge at mag release may need to be trimmed down slightly. Nothing wrong with the Shield though.
Thanks. Both feel great in my hand so it's a tough call.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Personally I don't like the Shield trigger. The trigger on the PPS M2 is excellent.
However there's a 2.0 Shield on the way so maybe that'll be improved.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

beagler:

I'm wearing a .40 S&W Shield right now.... Bet you can't guess which one I picked :D....

I had a similarly sized Walther, but swapped it out. I thought it was a PPS, but the pictures I just found online (I wanted to verify the specs on the PPS2) don't look like it. I've been wrong before, though. Maybe in 1975 :mrgreen: ....

Most of my decision, with the Shield, was based on in NOT having that rat-tail trigger safety. The Walther would jump back and pinch my trigger finger.... Admittedly, the .40's a bit snappy, and the 9mm version might have been a better choice, but I'm a 1911 guy, and don't mind the .40 in the Shield at all.

(I have an M&P40FS, M&P40C, the Shield, and the M&P9C. All use the "two piece" trigger. I don't much like that either, but I just prefer it.)

A .40, IMHO, should be tested before purchase. My Walther was no fun with range loads, and seriously wicked with SD ammo. The Shield is fine with either, in my case. YMMV.... Just IMHO, most people can handle a 9mm SD load in just about anything in about any gun that's not one of those super-flyweights.

I carry an Officer sized 1911 (Para CCO) "outside", and the Shield "indoors". The Shield doesn't need a special belt, and is quite lightweight. The 1911 needs a much better "rig", and isn't light. The only good news is that my usual holster for the CCO will take a full-sized 1911 in case I'm in the mood. Overall, the full-size is really only a slight advantage for accuracy, while the weight does help a bit. A full sized 1911 with rails is really heavy. Tack driver, though :D .

Overall,try to shoot whatever you're likely to buy. You may be surprised.

If in doubt, buy both :mrgreen: ....

About the Shield's trigger, in reference to Don't Tread On Me's comment, I've got the APEX DCAEK kit on all of my M&P's, and the similar version on the Shield. Just me, perhaps, but one of Randy's videos explained what I should be looking for, and I prefer it to what came in the box originally. A side-by-side test (helps when you've got as many as I have :) ) felt good to me.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
beagler
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by beagler »

I read about some Walther Pps M2 barrel preening issues last night. That didn't sit well with me. Looking at the Shield now. Their prices are very low now since the 2.0 was released last week. Vances has then for 299.99. That's the original model.