Taurus Recall

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Taurus Recall

Post by JimE »

If anyone is interested, the Taurus recall has started.
Claim filing runs until Feb.6,2018. After that, you still have the "enhanced lifetime warranty". https://secureforms.heffler.com/Dynamic ... 60e2cb5d98" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bruenor

Re: Taurus Recall

Post by Bruenor »

Odd that the pistols covered aren't listed on that page but if you dig through the documents you can find the list.

"Class Pistols" mans the following Taurus-branded firearms: PT-111 Millennium; PT-132 Millennium; PT-138 Millennium; PT-140 Millennium; PT-145 Millennium; PT-745 Millennium; PT-609; PT-640; PT-24/7.
The lawsuit asserts that these alleged safety defects may cause some Class Pistols to unintentionally fire with the safety in the “on” or “safe” position when the trigger is pulled and some Class Pistols may unintentionally fire when dropped or bumped. The Taurus Companies stand by the
Class Pistols and vigorously deny all allegations of wrongdoing and liability.
So If I'm reading this right, they will inspect and repair it plus give you the 'enhanced warranty', or buy it back for $200.00, which seems low even for a Taurus.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

And that $200 is a best case scenario. You won't know the exact amount until after the recall is completed. ie At BEST I would get $200 for a firearm (PT-145 Millenium Pro) that I bought for $350 (I think, don't remember what I paid for it. basing off of current list prices) or so. And if too many people choose the return rather than the warranty then that $200 can drop to $150 or LESS. :shock:

And if you choose the enhanced warranty, send in the pistol for inspection and if needed repair or replacement... if they decide to replace the pistol you have to go through an FFL and fill out new paperwork to get the replacement pistol.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

WY_Not wrote:And that $200 is a best case scenario. You won't know the exact amount until after the recall is completed. ie At BEST I would get $200 for a firearm (PT-145 Millenium Pro) that I bought for $350 (I think, don't remember what I paid for it. basing off of current list prices) or so. And if too many people choose the return rather than the warranty then that $200 can drop to $150 or LESS. :shock:

And if you choose the enhanced warranty, send in the pistol for inspection and if needed repair or replacement... if they decide to replace the pistol you have to go through an FFL and fill out new paperwork to get the replacement pistol.
Yup, Taurus has been lowering the price of their products for the last two years. (Except for their AR clone...you can buy 2 Smith's or Rugers for the same money)
Right now you can snag a PT111G2 9mm for 189.99. The original PT140 I bought was 349.99 "on sale" in 2005.
I admit to owning 2 of those, and sent them in for the repair or replace. They will probably be replaced, as I have not heard of any sort of fix for the problem.
Never had an issue with either, and have owned the PT140 for 12 years, and a PT24/7 in .45acp for 9 years.
But after reading the recall details, I limited them to "garage" duty rather than carry them.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Excellent! I have been waiting for this. My PT-145 has been in a plastic bag for about two years, along with the captive firing pin spring assembly, which is broken. That part is highly subject to breakage, and it's cheap and easy to replace, but Taurus won't send you one; you are required to send in the gun, and only the factory can replace it. I was ready to go through that process (Taurus would pay the shipping both ways) until I heard about the pending recall, and I decided I would wait. Now I can send it in and get everything fixed.

FWIW, the PT-145 shoots pretty well when it is fully functional, but I would no longer trust if as an EDC.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Guess I'll count my blessings and knock on some wood. I really like shooting my PT-145, have put a lot of rounds through it and have never had an issue with it. Shoots well and eats whatever I've tried to feed it so far. Only reason I don't carry it is because I'm too cheap to have a good holster made for it and the weight and thickness. Even though it is shorter BBL than the 1911 Commander, it is noticeably heavier. And being double stack, it doesn't conceal as well as the 1911.

No way would I "sell" it back to them for $200 or less. And definitely no would I send it back only to find out after the fact that they are going to replace it and I have to fill out paperwork to get my own property back.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

WY_Not wrote:No way would I "sell" it back to them for $200 or less. And definitely no would I send it back only to find out after the fact that they are going to replace it and I have to fill out paperwork to get my own property back.
The fed's require that the replacement,(since it carry's a different s/n) be treated as a new purchase.
And yes, the idea that I'd get hosed kept me from going the buy-out route.
I would rather have a working pistol than cash...and it would take several Taurus to buy a HK
For holsters, I found that holsters made for the HK USP Compact worked well with mine. Bought a Fobus and a molded leather belt holster.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

What the recall about,... i have pt111 it was left to me from my father and i don't want to part with it.
Black Rifles Matter
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

steves 50de wrote:What the recall about,... i have pt111 it was left to me from my father and i don't want to part with it.
Supposedly some can fire when the safety is engaged. there are docs on the recall site that explain what the issue is but you have to poke around a bit and download the PDFs to read them

http://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/D ... Notice.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look at number 2.. what is this lawsuit about
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Easy fix. If you don't want it to fire with the safety engaged then don't pull the trigger. :mrgreen:
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

I sent in my PT-145 on Saturday. It didn't cost me anything except the annoyance, and now I can rely on a replacement of the broken captive firing pin assembly, which they refused to send me so I could replace it myself. I guess they can also fix the safety. If you choose to send it in, be prepared for an argument from FedEx about sending it from your own return address instead of from an FFL.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

Werz wrote:If you choose to send it in, be prepared for an argument from FedEx about sending it from your own return address instead of from an FFL.
I once shipped a pistol to S&W and experienced no grief shipping from the Fed Ex store at the north end (Wooster).
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

scottb wrote:
Werz wrote:If you choose to send it in, be prepared for an argument from FedEx about sending it from your own return address instead of from an FFL.
I once shipped a pistol to S&W and experienced no grief shipping from the Fed Ex store at the north end (Wooster).
Same here, no issues shipping my XDs back to the mothership for the recall via Fed Ex. Seems like it might be specific stores / personnel that are the issue.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Shipped my Sig P320 Fed-Ex Express mail back for the "upgrade" Wednesday.I took it to the Fed Ex hub in Lima as opposed to using a store such as Kinkos,PakMail,etc.
Had no problem whatsoever with the staff there. The main hubs are used to it,Sig required use of them this time.

Did the XDs recall several years ago without drama as well.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JustaShooter wrote:
scottb wrote:
Same here, no issues shipping my XDs back to the mothership for the recall via Fed Ex. Seems like it might be specific stores / personnel that are the issue.
I guess I've always used UPS in the past, and they knew what the deal was.
-- BobK