Jframe clip grip - good or bad idea?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BadCrosshairDay

Jframe clip grip - good or bad idea?

Post by BadCrosshairDay »

I'm thinking of putting something like the DeSantis clip grip on one of my jframe revolvers. Anyone have any experience with this? Would usually be used on a thin belt. Specifically, would the uncovered trigger behind a belt likely be a problem?
Brian D.

Re: Jframe clip grip - good or bad idea?

Post by Brian D. »

BadCrosshairDay wrote:I'm thinking of putting something like the DeSantis clip grip on one of my jframe revolvers. Anyone have any experience with this? Would usually be used on a thin belt. Specifically, would the uncovered trigger behind a belt likely be a problem?
Those are often used with the gun worn inside the pants waistband. Clip should fit over the trousers and a thin belt, I would think. No exposed trigger that way.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BadCrosshairDay

Post by BadCrosshairDay »

I'll order one next week and see if the trigger is adequately closed. Saw someone use something similar on a Bersa 380, but that also has a thumb safety. His was a clip that I think may have needed new holes drilled in either the frame or slide.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I fooled around with one of those on a J-frame for a while. Gun was shifting around enough to be annoying. And that was with the gun inside the waistband. My activity level those days was not particularly vigorous. Some trainers I respect believe the hip grips are inadequate for "serious" use, how ever that is defined by them.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

I had one on a P3-AT some years back. (I'm not sure where it went when I retired the Kel-Tec :D.)

My own opinion is that it's a great way to somewhat safely stow a small gun on your belt before you have time to properly re-holster it.

No way I'd want to use it for EDC type use unless I was certain I'd want to stow the gun in my car before going inside someplace. Rarely, btw, except for some places where I must go. Very rarely....

Physical activity? Forget it.... (OK, I'm overweight.)

The P3 fit inside a pocket, WITH a pocket holster and the belt clip, making for some convenience, but it was very cheap when bought with the P3-AT. One of the counterguys at the gun pusher's place volunteered to install the clip for me. He trashed the pin that held it in place....

I'm not sure how one would work with a revolver, but if your belt is helping keep the gun in place, it should work. Note that the problem of the gun moving around on the belt likely is still there with a revolver v.s. a semi.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Flexmoney

Post by Flexmoney »

My EDC for the last number of years is a J-frame with the Desantis Hip Grip. I also put it into an (Uncle Mike's) pocket holster, which gives better coverage of the trigger.
Kyle F.
USPSA Board of Directors - Area 5
tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

It seems like a good idea but I like and think a better grip is more important on a j frame. Those grips don't work so good while fireing a light weight j frame with +p loads.
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks