Sig P320 drop safe issue

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CCIman

Re: Sig P320 drop safe issue

Post by CCIman »

Got DROPPED :D
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

CCIman wrote:Got DROPPED :D
:lol:
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

A Sigtalk poster saved the page & converted it to a .pdf file. Uploaded to dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/56qijwst041kc ... r.pdf?dl=0

Just in case you wished to read it.

Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

New link for upgrade registration :
https://www.sigsauer.com/support/p320-v ... e-program/

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Thanks, Tru-Heathen. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
true_pair

Post by true_pair »

Updated link

https://www.sigsauer.com/support/p320-v ... e-program/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

I filled mine out last night. Now that it is registered, it will take an unknown amount of time to get it done, with 4-6 weeks after sending it in. :D

4 years from now, no one will remember.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Needless to say, many folks were wondering if their chosen pistol platform was susceptible to this issue, so in this video we drop test, at many angles, a Glock 17 Gen 2, Glock 17 Gen 3 modified by Zev, Glock 22 Gen 4, Glock 43, Heckler & Koch VP9, HK VP9SK, Polymer80 PF940C Glock kit with all stock Glock parts, Smith & Wesson M&P9 M2.0, S&W M&P 45, and a Springfield TRP Operator 1911.

None of these firearms caused a primed case to discharge. It is not acceptable for a modern service handgun to fire a round when dropped and no excuse can be made for one that fires. Omaha Outdoors will continue to test many of the firearms mentioned above at different angles and we will incorporate drop testing in all of our future reviews. As we discover firearms that fire when dropped, we will attempt to confirm our results, contact the manufacturer for their comment, and then release the results of the failed tests in a timely manner to the public.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

In Sigs defense, it passed all the drop tests that mattered - those that were typical (standarsd perhaps?) of the gun industry, and those asked for by the possible contractors (US gov, and LE agencies, specified tests)- what ever they may be. Obviously Sig passed those tests.

The fault there-in lies why these specific tests were used. I don't think the condition that p320's fail is unreasonable. The question may be whoever has designed these tests (or administers them) may be making it too easy for gun manufactures to have their products certified as "passing". So is the testing itself biased in favor of getting guns through to market.

The testing that Sig states they used, needs to be redesigned.

I have always wondered about 1911's. A loaded 1911 with the hammer down - will it fire if dropped and impacting the front or the back of the slide?
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/0 ... t-company/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

From the above link ^^ .

" ...OK, so what do product recalls cost a manufacturer? Answer: a lot. Here’s our back-of-the-envelope guess at what the P320 fix might cost SIG SAUER..."

Typical TTAG click bait. They don't know,but won't hesitate to post about it anyway.

In one of their articles about the P320 drop safe issue prior to Monday's announcement from Sig Sauer,the author Jeremy S. claimed there would be a magazine safety as part of the "upgrade". Later he edited that out in the comment he made to me. He still maintains the grip modules will be altered,despite other people reporting Sig saying no changes are needed to the grip module. One wonders if he'll walk that back as well.

One reason I stopped going to Farago's site regularly.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

CCIman wrote:
I have always wondered about 1911's. A loaded 1911 with the hammer down - will it fire if dropped and impacting the front or the back of the slide?
Yep, that was established in the original military trials. They determined the magic number to be a..twelve foot , muzzle-first drop down onto a hard surface, if I remember what I read correctly. Gun was loaded with hammer down.

And yet our military bought them, because they didn't get wrapped around the axle about this "potential" (fairly unlikely to occur) problem.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

CCIman wrote:I filled mine out last night. Now that it is registered, it will take an unknown amount of time to get it done, with 4-6 weeks after sending it in. :D

4 years from now, no one will remember.
Yet another response to those who ask: "Why would I/anybody need to own more than one gun?"
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

Brian D. wrote:Yet another response to those who ask: "Why would I/anybody need to own more than one gun?"
Maybe more specifically, more than one gun model (and probably from different manufacturers).