Sig P320 drop safe issue

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Sig P320 drop safe issue

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

I haven't seen this on the forum yet but it's all over the internet. TL;DR version: Many people have been able to get the Sig P320 to discharge by dropping it from as little as four feet. Sig initially denied a problem but the next day announced a voluntary upgrade to correct the problem.

Details of the upgrade program will be available at sigsauer.com on Monday, August 14, 2017.

Press Release: https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases ... 20-pistol/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TTAG summary of issue & modifications: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/0 ... -failures/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Sig P320 drop safe issue

Post by Mr. Glock »

Interestingly, the Army MHS guns already had all the upgrades already. For those who don't care to dig into it, the very short answer is that the trigger and the striker assembly were too heavy and thus picked up enough inertia at impact to release the striker drop safety and pull back the striker enough in order to fire the gun in some cases.

Sig was going to change over the Commercial guns to the MHS upgrades "at some point", but that has become now.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

I spent the better part of last evening reading about this,(take one day away from the interwebs & Ragnarok occurs :roll: ) the Sig "Enhanced " trigger was the heavier one.
My P320 came out prior to the Enhanced trigger. I'm embarrassed to admit my P320 has hit the floor a time or three. Fell off couch once, off tub while on throne a couple times.
Didn't discharge, must be defective. :P

I'll be interested in the announcement on Monday of how they intend to handle the "voluntary trigger upgrade". Having gone through Springfield Armory's XDs recall,I'm 99% certain I'll eventually send it to Sig. Depends on the early reports once people get theirs back from Sig.

Here's the reported fix. Revised striker, chassis, trigger, disconnector, and sear housing

A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

Tru-Heathen wrote: My P320 came out prior to the Enhanced trigger. I'm embarrassed to admit my P320 has hit the floor a time or three. Fell off couch once, off tub while on throne a couple times.
Didn't discharge, must be defective. :P
Actually, it has to fall just right (or wrong depending on point of view) for it to discharge. Normal drop tests are done muzzle down or gun sideways. No issues there. Only if it falls such that the frame & slide hit at nearly the same time with sufficient force. I'll probably send mine in eventually, but not something I'm going to worry about much in the meantime. Will still try out the 320RX I picked up the other week.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

I knew that & I've no intention to stop carrying mine everyday.

Someday I'll have a Compact P320rx exchange kit . :|

Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Article online at American Rifleman about the P320 sharknado.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... sharknado/

CCIman

Post by CCIman »

Only a huge issue if no one knew it-- now that it is known, it can easily be fixed or ignored (by the deniers). I think Sig is misleading, and deflecting, when they say that all pistols will do this.

I'm awaiting the "fix" to be announced.

I can't wait for all my lethal airbags to be fixed, too.
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

I think it is always best to own up to it, thank those who discovered it, fix it, and move on.
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

It's important to point out that the P320 passed drop tests, including those by the state of California, that test if the gun will go off dropped on its side or nose-first. Still, the manner in which it can be dropped is not unusual. As TTAG noted, "We were concerned that that we might have to construct a fancy jig to get the P320C to fall in the Omaha Outdoors-identified orientation. As it turned out, when the pistol is held by the forward corner of the trigger guard, with the normal weight of an inserted magazine, the P320C balanced in the exact way necessary to land on the top rear of the slide when dropped." The gun fired in 3 out of 7 drop tests.
Perception is poor, currently.
Perhaps the issue is not reality, but does that matter, with this video out there?

THIS is why all reviews of new equipment are glowing (hello Hickock45 and gun bloggers), issues destroy sales after a great deal of R&D, testing and manufacturing capital has been invested in a product line.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I hear the people at Glock LTAO :lol:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Due to Sig Sauer’s recently announced “voluntary upgrade” of the Sig Sauer P320 pistol, announced on August 8, 2017, Apex, out of an abundance of caution, has chosen until further notice to suspend sales of those aftermarket trigger products specifically designed for use in the Sig Sauer P320.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

https://www.sigsauer.com/support/p320-v ... program-2/

Sig's upgrade procedure announced today.

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Through additional testing above and beyond standard American National Standards Institute (ANSI)/Sporting Arms & Ammunition Institute (SAAMI), National Institute of Justice (NIJ), Department of Justice (DOJ), Massachusetts and other global military and law enforcement protocols, we have confirmed that usually after multiple drops, at certain angles and conditions, a potential discharge of the firearm may result when dropped. Although it is a rare occurrence, with very specific conditions, SIG SAUER is offering an upgrade to all of its current P320 owners.

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Tru-Heathen wrote:https://www.sigsauer.com/support/p320-v ... program-2/

Sig's upgrade procedure announced today.
Did this link go away for some reason? I'm getting a 404-Error as of 1:44 PM EDT. :?:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Yeah, the server must have crashed from the traffic.(Sort of like the Obamacare roll out. )

Some people on SigTalk reported they were able to register for the ''voluntary upgrade".