My GSG-1911 .22 pistol broke today.

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

My GSG-1911 .22 pistol broke today.

Post by Brian D. »

Well, actually, the barrel bushing bent, and the recoil spring plug flew downrange. The spring stayed in its channel. Couldn't find the plug, and the bushing is not fixable. Guses the gun has 5,000 rounds through it now.

Already sourced the needed parts and they are inbound.

I was just starting to wonder why my groups on the target were so bad, when the breakage occurred.

One of my fellow OFCC forum denizens has the same model and probably lots more through his. Was it you, Sevens?

Anyhow, it's just a gun for 1911 practice with less expensive ammunition, not a totin' piece.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: My GSG-1911 .22 pistol broke today.

Post by JustaShooter »

Wow - not a part I'd expect to fail in that way (but it does reinforce what I'd heard about the importance of the barrel bushing for accuracy). Does it look like a defect in materials or manufacturing, or what?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote:Wow - not a part I'd expect to fail in that way (but it does reinforce what I'd heard about the importance of the barrel bushing for accuracy). Does it look like a defect in materials or manufacturing, or what?
It may look like a milspec 1911 bushing, but is cheap casting or MIM or maybe not steel at all. Whether a real 1911 replacement would fit/work in its place..from eyeballing the thing I'd say no.

********************************************************************************
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

Friend had that happen to his once. He'd only had it a few months. They sent him brand new one along with spring which had been lost at range when it flew out.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

5,274 through mine, says the (nearly OCD-driven) log of mine. My original plan was to shoot it to failure within the original 2 year warranty and I figured I could pull it off, 400-500 rds each range trip and a handful of mags with the +4 follower. Then... Sandy Hook happened and the quest for failure ended because rimfire ammo disappeared from the shelves.

Honestly, I hardly shoot it these days. For the cost and the fun factor, the pistol is a winner. However, if you are an accuracy junkie... the pistol gets a seat in the bleachers to watch and doesn't have the ability to compete. The GSG gets no love simply because I have a handful of rimfire handguns that soundly thrash it in most every way.

Materials and build quality are decent... depending on your point of view. The GSG is a fine gun if you compare it to a Walther P-22 or a Sig Mosquito. If you compare it to a Chiappa or Jimenez or Heritage Rough Rider or Phoenix HP-22, the GSG is a professional! ;)

But don't put it up against a Colt Woodsman, S&W 41, or any capable Bullseye-ready rimfire match pistol, because the GSG is not an heirloom piece. And as accuracy and "potential accuracy" goes, the GSG design on the whole has simply given up even potential accuracy in favor of a very neat "1911" design. The barrel isn't fixed securely to the frame and certainly not at all fixed to it's sights. Mechanically speaking, it isn't as capable and cannot be.

Still a lot of fun to shoot and if mine self destructs on the next range trip, I still think the purchase was a resounding success.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

I replaced the bushing and guide rod with solid metal aftermarket parts. It improved accuracy and I now know the guide rod won't snap, which happened on my original. All together, it didn't cost much at all.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I will shoot my S&W MP-22 pistol a little more often, and the GSG less, after the latter is running again.

Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Mine didn't bend, the flange (?) broke right off the bushing. Looking at it you could easily tell that part was cheaply made. I called GSG and they sent me a replacement barrel bushing at no charge. Then I ordered a real 1911 bushing from some other distributor, just to keep on hand.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bruenor wrote:Mine didn't bend, the flange (?) broke right off the bushing. Looking at it you could easily tell that part was cheaply made. I called GSG and they sent me a replacement barrel bushing at no charge. Then I ordered a real 1911 bushing from some other distributor, just to keep on hand.
So then, a standard 1911 bushing fits the GSG? An extra one of those, I certainly have already.

As far as the 1911 spring plug goes, I once saw a temporary replacement made from an empty handgun cartridge, although I can't recall what caliber it was.

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Saw a Kimber 1911 do the same thing at Stonewall....I just kept plinking with
my little oh G19.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Saw a Kimber 1911 do the same thing at Stonewall....I just kept plinking with
my little oh G19.
What's yer point, Carpetburns? :mrgreen:

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Saw a Kimber 1911 do the same thing at Stonewall....I just kept plinking with
my little oh G19.
Saw a Glock spontaneously disassemble itself at Hidden Arms. I just kept plinking with my Ruger.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:
my little oh G19.
Now that right there is funny, I don't care who you are! :lol:
NRA Life Member

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian D. wrote:
my little oh G19.

THe point is it can happen to the higher priced 1911 to...Baggy pants..and I don't have sideburns .. :mrgreen:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
my little oh G19.
Now that right there is funny, I don't care who you are! :lol:
If Carmen was "mobbed up" I think Carpetburns would be a great nickname for him.