Yer Favorite .22 pistol

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Yer Favorite .22 pistol

Post by Aesinsp »

Javelin Man wrote:
yogidave wrote:Other than my Ruger MK1, I picked up a GSG Firefly (Mesquito knockoff) BNIB for under $200. Its accurate and it wasn't picky about ammo.
RKGuns have those on sale right now and I'm considering one, lots of pretty colors from which to choose. It's also threaded for a suppressor in the future if wanted. Would you recommend a GSG or a MK I at the same price?[/quote
RK is a fav place for us. Wife walks her dog in & I visit that G counter when I can.
Those GSGs look like a no brainer based on the RKG site price. If I was in the market, I'd pick up 2 of your favorite flavors. Interesting tidbit @ my local store, I picked up one unit & later in the day came back for a diff one I saw in their case - I'm now on a new list @ d local S.O.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yes, the carbine kits are discontinued and tough to find. Real same too, the combo makes for a really handy firearm and lots of fun.

So, if anyone has one or has a line on a carbine kit I am in the market.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Jakor

Post by Jakor »

My Sig Mosquito has taken years to break in. It's a fussy fussy firearm. I would not buy another. The slide is too heavy for the round. Lots of malfunctions.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from it's government." - Thomas Paine
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Jakor wrote:My Sig Mosquito has taken years to break in. It's a fussy fussy firearm. I would not buy another. The slide is too heavy for the round. Lots of malfunctions.
I had a Mosquito years ago, and was very grumpy at how poorly it functioned with every brand of ammo that I tried - intermittent fail to extract and eject. I cleaned it and was getting it ready to ship in for repair when I found a yellow sheet of paper in the case, cleverly hidden between the case and the foam. I was an addendum to the manual that detailed a lubrication hole on the slide. So I added a few drops of oil and headed back to the range - worked flawlessly. I found the following FAQ at Sig's website, hope it helps.

"My mosquito pistol seems to have problems ejecting & extracting?

Please try these basic trouble shooting tips before requesting service: *Please make sure the recoil spring is installed correctly. The narrow end of the spring MUST be on the guide rod first…pointing towards the rear of the gun. If it is not, this will cause feeding, extraction and firing issues. *Like many .22 LR’s, Mosquito’s can be sensitive to ammunition used and to cleanliness and lubrication. Be sure your Mosquito is cleaned and lubricated regularly and before the first use. *There is a lubrication port on the right side of the slide for the extractor, be sure you add a drop of lube in this hole every hundred rounds or so. Make sure the gun is very clean. *Some Mosquito’s benefit from a break-in period. *Be sure to use factory recommend ammunition – CCI Mini-Mags. Winchester Super-X, Remington Golden Bullet, Federal High Velocity etc…also usually work well."
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

My mosquito worked flawlessly after I used a brush in the chamber. Until then, single-shot. Then I sold it.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I recently picked up a 1993-made Smith & Wesson Model 41. There's a chance that it rockets quickly near the top of my list of favorite rimfire pistols, but I haven't yet had a chance to shoot it. Some are known to be finicky and if ever there was a pistol with a reputation for demanding quality rimfire ammo, a S&W 41 is certainly on that particular list. Fortunately I do have a nice selection of good ammo to try, including the ammo that seems to be MOST often recommended for the 41 -- the CCI SV ammo.

The original wood stocks are extremely attractive but absolutely designed for one-handed bullseye-style hold and are a bit unnatural when using a two-hand hold. I don't see a lot of options to address that, but Herrett has two options that may get my interest.

I hope to report back with success!
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Hope your Model 41 lives up to expectations. Bullseye shooters didn't mind their reliability issues, since those matches allow "alibis", meaning you can reshoot strings of fire if you have a malfunction. I always found that rather lame.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I can see your angle but that competition was born in a different time. I continue to remain FAR more than impressed with what Bullseye competition shooters can and have accomplished with a handgun. I wish it was a more active sport today.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sevens wrote:I can see your angle but that competition was born in a different time. I continue to remain FAR more than impressed with what Bullseye competition shooters can and have accomplished with a handgun. I wish it was a more active sport today.
When I ran the pistol section at Fairfield Sportsman's Club, wanted the Bullseye shooters to know they were as important to me as all the other match shooters. (Experience traveling around taught me that competitors in various disciplines at some clubs didn't always get along with each other.) So, I'd join in occasionally. It was a challenging game, to be sure.

Still, I never liked how a few shooters ALWAYS seemed to need alibi strings, dragging out the matches. Just a pet peeve.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

Not a Bullseye gun, but my favorite Sunday Afternoon Special is my 1st gen Charter Arms Pathfinder.
7V8

Yer Favorite .22 pistol?

Post by 7V8 »

Although I have a couple Ruger MK IIs, my favorite is the stainless MK IV 5.5'' barrel, not only because it is a whole lot more convenient to clean, but because it is very accurate.